IGNORED

HSC16 Round 1: Space Fortress Omega

Yep, pretty much the only thing you have to get your head around (ha! a pun) in CCC is the way the monster moves, since it's similar to tank controls (head is a turret of sorts). Plus the command list for each monster is quite extensive (and can vary slightly for different ones) so you can keep that manual page open. Then you just move around and fight/destroy.

I like it because it's so highly innovative, open-ended and different from normal strategy games (a bit more like roguelike "runs"). And it's highly unusual to find a strategy game wjich is tailored for HS gameplay hence the recommendation.

• Like 1

Do not blame yourself. Have been playing the game for 2 weeks. And never reached level 2........

Ditto...

I helped create manual and I cant get past Level 1.

Superb game game though... chapeau to the The Real Bounty Bob for this ground breaking game and the effort he has put into it :-)

I hear Activision have bought the rights to Space Fortresss Omega and are creating a Virtual Reality 360 version in 8K ;-)

• Like 2

We're starting round 2 in the morning (Saturday)

Man, I suck at this game. My best was 1680. I didn't even make it to level 2.

Thanks for playing :thumbsup:

All I can say for anyone struggling is to play on Trainee - you don't need to worry about the aliens or fuel so can then concentrate on the route, just survive and get to the end as your first objective. It really does need joystick control to get the cadence of the movement. I imagine if there is any lag on emulation etc it would be too difficult - try full screen mode perhaps.

I did play again but did not improve rank (21,350) :)

• Like 2

We're starting round 2 in the morning (Saturday)

Thanks for playing :thumbsup:

All I can say for anyone struggling is to play on Trainee - you don't need to worry about the aliens or fuel so can then concentrate on the route, just survive and get to the end as your first objective. It really does need joystick control to get the cadence of the movement. I imagine if there is any lag on emulation etc it would be too difficult - try full screen mode perhaps.

I did play again but did not improve rank (21,350) :)

@trbb I seriously do not think people have issues with the fuel or aliens. It is the route and the rather unforgiving difficulties one has to face during the route. (I mean: you have to remember the route quite well to know where the tricky parts are). On the other side, it is just this hardness that distincts this game from other games that are perhaps too easy.

What you could consider, is in Trainee to built in a slight time before a collision is deadly. Perhaps a collision could cost energy instead of losing a life at once. I have really (even after 2 weeks of practice) some moments where I think: sigh WHY is it all so tight in the maze? In those cases a slightly more forgiving handling of collision would be appreciated.

Anyway, I am still very positive about the game. It is just a suggestion to improve the game!

Greetz

Marius

• Like 2

post-19705-0-47052700-1549660064.jpg

Pilot 35,500 still Star Cadet Class 1

Made it most of the way through level 3 not helped by a break for dinner! Level 3 is pretty intense especially as I had a shortage of missiles for a while, obviously I know what is what and where things are so that helped :D

youtube video of a playthough SFO level 1

=============================================

Reminder round 2 will start in the morning SAT 9th Feb

Still time for your votes Round 2 Poll :)

• Like 1

Congratulations to me for winning the first roud, though it did take me a couple of years to make a game that was just about too hard for McKong to learn in a 2 weeks period :D Seriously thanks for playing everyone, I hope you enjoyed Space Fortress Omega. Thanks again to RedThunder for the instructions artwork.

Regarding the difficulty I forgot about a great feature I had programmed; on Trainee the gaps between the rocks are not as narrow so there you go ;)

If anyone wants to edit or create a new Space Fortess get in touch and I'll send you the playfield maps. I used Envsion on the Atari to create them, there is a PC version too and other tools.

If you do continue playing SFO then report back with your progress, someone has to save the Earth eh?

Nearly Final Tables - by rank then score

(you can still posts late scores if you wish to join in!)

I've made up the scoring, might change this later

Pilot
1st trbb 35,500 Star Cadet - Class 1 10pts
2nd McKong 23,500 Star Cadet - Class 1 9pts
3rd graywest 20,700 Space Cruiser - Class 1 8pts
4th deteacher 12,420 Space Cruiser - Class 1 7pts
5th Marius 6,380 Space Traveller - Class 1 6pts
6th RedThunder 5,960 Space Traveller - Class 1 5pts
7th skr 3,280 Space Traveller - Class 1 5pts

8th jdh 7,180 Galactic Hitchhiker - Class 1 4pts

9th carlsson 5,400 Space Lobster - Class 1 4pts
10th jblenkle 2,600 Space Lobster - Class 1 3pts
11th youxia 2,500 Grud In Space - Class 1 3pts
12th slx 2,180 Grud In Space - Class 1 2pts
13th Gury 2,130 Space Lobster - Class 1 2pts
14th oracle_jedi 1,680 Grud In Space - Class 1 2pts
15th Sikor 1,580 Lost In Space - Class 1 2pts

16th roadrunner 1,460 Grud In Space - Class 1 2pts

Trainee
carlsson 6,550 Galactic Hitchhiker - Class 1 2pts
Sikor 2,370 Galactic Hitchhiker - Class 1 1pt

skr 2,660 Lost In Space - Class 1 1pt

slx 2,220 Grud In Space - Class 1 1pt

Ace
trbb 11,520 Space Traveller - Class 2
Sikor 1,760 Space Lobster - Class 1

Edited by therealbountybob
corrected - if I missed anyone let me know!
  • Like 2

Pilot - Galactic Hitchhiker Class 1 - 7180

Good game, would have paid for this back in the day, both addictive and frustrating.

thank you :thumbsup:

Keep the SFO scores coming guys, we can leave this round open alongside Round 2: Lode Runner

If anyone finds the gaps too tight then play on Trainee where they are wider ;)