IGNORED

HSC16 Round 1: Space Fortress Omega

Trainee Grud in Space Class 1

post-4219-0-05534500-1549309449.png

Same on Pilot level

No better on further tries.

I reached the end of the first level with a couple of lives but whenever I entered the next level through the "energy tunnel" I crashed on leaving it. Bug or feature?

Trainee Grud in Space Class 1

Same on Pilot level

No better on further tries.

I reached the end of the first level with a couple of lives but whenever I entered the next level through the "energy tunnel" I crashed on leaving it. Bug or feature?

Are you referring to the energy tunnel at the start of the space fortress/end of the first space stage (not the end of level where you go through the short section of narrow tunnels back to the start as there is no energy tunnel at the end?) ... either way...

on PILOT you can overcharge you hear the alarm sound after filling up so yes this is a feature - so after crashing hold down before the tunnel to burn some fuel (you do not burn fuel by going fast). On TRAINEE there is no overcharge.

6,860: Space Traveller Class 1.

I don't get much time to play these days. Pretty much working 7 days a week now, but I'll try to keep up as best I can. This is a great game, BTW.

thanks deteacher, my intention was to make my games in the classic style :)

23500 Space Cadet Class 1 - Made it to Level 3. Just when you thought it couldn't get any harder!

I knew you could do it ;) OK it looks like I will need to play again :D

Reminder this round runs until tomorrow morning 10am UK time Thursday 7th Feb - still time to join in EVERYONE late scores welcome too

Votes please EVERYONE Round 2 Poll :)

:-D :thumbsup:

probably somewhere in the thousands of hours - still it was less than Ramp Rage where I had to learn assembler too! Ski-It is still going, I've got a final v1.3 ready but have now got Mr.Atari's LiteDOS whicj means I have free RAM for the proper title screen and possibly the upgraded music too...

What do you guys think about extending this round until Saturday morning to hope that a couple more people join in and get some more voters perhaps :?:

• Like 1

Still Grud in Space with 2180. The "blue labyrinth" in Fortress 1 is very tricky to negotiate. I think I lost about 4 ships in the exact same spot and never managed to rebuild a single core. Played with a gamepad, maybe it's easier to use the down/left or down/right combination with a stick.

Trbb, difficulty-wise this is certainly a classic, just the way they would have done it 30 years ago to ensure maximum "longevity" for buyers.

• Like 1

Still Grud in Space with 2180. The "blue labyrinth" in Fortress 1 is very tricky to negotiate. I think I lost about 4 ships in the exact same spot and never managed to rebuild a single core. Played with a gamepad, maybe it's easier to use the down/left or down/right combination with a stick.

Trbb, difficulty-wise this is certainly a classic, just the way they would have done it 30 years ago to ensure maximum "longevity" for buyers.

:thumbsup:

Unlike other scrollers you don't need to hold down the diagonals on full lock that much, once you have slowed down you can then thrust L/R and maintain the slow (or current) speed, slightly lifting off to auto-accellerate as needed. Take a look at my video :grin:

Hey, I guess may be an hour or two late but I hope I can still squeeze this in. Miscalculated my timezones again.

I didn't really play it - it put me off a bit in the beginning because it's super difficult to control with my Dualshock so I kinda gave up... Tried again few days ago and actually started to get into it but ran out of time. This kinda pixel-perfect gameplay can be a chore on a bit laggy RPi and a Dualshock. Also sometimes the rockets wouldn't fire to repair the reactors which was infuriating.... but overall I must admit I liked the concept and the varied design.

Any chance for bonus game (or 3 :) for the next rounds? Just in case the main one....well :)

Also would like to propose one for consideration if it's not too late: Crush, Crumble' n Chomp. It's a weird strategy hybrid but can be played for HS. Could be a good change from all that twitchy gameplay.

SFO: 2500 rank Grud (Crud?) in Space. Played on Pilot

IMG_20190205_171950.jpg

• Like 2

We considered Crush, Crumble & Chomp last season, after slx' suggestion. While it indeed has a timer based score and can be a long play game, the 36 page manual kind of scares me. Perhaps if you have previous experience could help us get started with the minimum basics and then we get to read the entire manual on how to play the game?

• Like 1

We considered Crush, Crumble & Chomp last season, after slx' suggestion. While it indeed has a timer based score and can be a long play game, the 36 page manual kind of scares me. Perhaps if you have previous experience could help us get started with the minimum basics and then we get to read the entire manual on how to play the game?

Basically you do what the title says, i.e. destroy whatever you find while avoiding/fighting the police, military and mad scientist who are trying to stop you.

IIRC the game is not really "real time" but rather a bit turn-based, i.e. you control the monster and then your opponents get some time to move. You have some kind of "action points" and different actions cost different points, so you can do more of one or less of the other thing. How much you can do depends on the type of monster you choose. The very detailed information about this as well as maps is the reason the manual is so thick. You'll need some reading to be able to play successfully but you don't need to read 36 pages.

You can turn your monster (L)eft and ®ight which results in it pointing E, S, W or N. (M)one then moves it in that direction. Some monsters can swim, fly or burrow. Some have a tail you can swing. You have a head that can point somewhere else than your body which affects were attacks/spewing fire go (IIRC).

CC&C is a very early title probably ported from the Apple II with PM graphics added for the monster but everything else shown in Gr. 0 with a redefined character set. It's written in BASIC with a little Assembler to flip character sets. It's a turn-based tabletop wargame at heart, so don't expect quick gameplay. (This would really benefit from a rewrite in some faster language making full use of joystick control and Atari graphics and it would still be a unique game. The code is quite messy so really could take the idea, monsters and maps only and would need to re-do most of the rest.)

• Like 3