IGNORED

Another unreleased hard fx found - 256 col Twirl/warp

Heaven/TQA

I just found that in the files Tamas send me years ago. I first thought its the Joyride demo Twirl but then I have seen its a unreleased fx.

It was written in Atmas2 assembler format and the gfx and tables were generated in Turbo Basic. So that was the old native coding approach before Tamas went to university and used PC cross assembler and tools...

I will post these days the exe file.

• Like 21

A very cool effect, but I'm more interested in what the graphic mode(s). I'm guessing it has to be a software mixed GTIA mode, but the video doesn't show scan-lines or flicker, I'm guessing it was made using Altirra or other emulator, so I don't know how close to the video it would look running on a real machine with CRT or LCD for sure. I guess I'll find out when you release the .xex later. :thumbsup:

I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a game running in this mode similar to Space Harrier or Rescue on Fractalus/Eidolon/Koronis Rift or other types of scaling "3D" graphic engines. Judging strictly by what I see in the video. I am of course referring to background graphics and scrolling/color-shifting fields or fractal/voxel type engines and not player missles or software sprites (unless software sprites could be done that way too)..

• Like 1

Its classic mose9/11 flip per frame.

I recorded it with frame blending.

I never thought this mode was very good (on an NTSC machine) but that's before I learned that PAL blends the chroma into two scanlines, so Gr9 would get colour mixed into it. I'm sure that was really impressive in PAL back in the day!

A very cool effect, but I'm more interested in what the graphic mode(s). I'm guessing it has to be a software mixed GTIA mode, but the video doesn't show scan-lines or flicker, I'm guessing it was made using Altirra or other emulator, so I don't know how close to the video it would look running on a real machine with CRT or LCD for sure. I guess I'll find out when you release the .xex later. :thumbsup:

I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a game running in this mode similar to Space Harrier or Rescue on Fractalus/Eidolon/Koronis Rift or other types of scaling "3D" graphic engines. Judging strictly by what I see in the video. I am of course referring to background graphics and scrolling/color-shifting fields or fractal/voxel type engines and not player missles or software sprites (unless software sprites could be done that way too)..

I have a prototype of my voxel engine in 256 col...

• Like 2

I never thought this mode was very good (on an NTSC machine) but that's before I learned that PAL blends the chroma into two scanlines, so Gr9 would get colour mixed into it. I'm sure that was really impressive in PAL back in the day!

I agree, I thought it looked bad on NTSC too, if it wasn't interlaced. But when interlaced it mixed the colors with the gray scales, but of course you got flickering, but this would have been better at 60Hz rather than PAL 50Hz. I didn't mind the flickering for the higher perceived vertical resolution and better color.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

That would work if Gr. 9 and 11 is "interlaced" . Flip per frame will horribly flicker on PAL, and less flicker on NTSC.

Torus.... ;) best fx still not get 100 how its based on a twirl...

I'm sure you do!

Anyways, for anyone who might be interested: It's lit from the front so that you can rotate it around its center (the same way as the girls' faces rotate) without the need to recalculate lighting.

So you get away with a pre-calculated 360 degree rotation animation one axis (X or Y, doesn't matter), then the you can rotate with the "twirl engine" on the other axis (Z).

This gives you two independent rotation parameters that you can drive with sin/cos/whatever you like.

So you can do a very high framerate compared to a real torus algorithm and nobody notices it's fake ;)

• Like 1

When I saw Joyride demo a call to my friends and ivite them and say "watch it! I have Atari ST :)" And than we sit in front of my BW TV with open mouths :) Year 1995 ? Maybe. I love Hard soft demos. Great effects and absolute epic music! :) sorry for OT. But i am a bit sentimental now.

• Like 1

here you go....

I guess Sandor does not complain I just zipped the complete folder including all turbo basic and atmas 2 sources plus my MADS version.

my converted version is interactive you can press OPTION and SELECT to rotate and warp.

whirl.zip

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 4

I agree, I thought it looked bad on NTSC too, if it wasn't interlaced. But when interlaced it mixed the colors with the gray scales, but of course you got flickering, but this would have been better at 60Hz rather than PAL 50Hz. I didn't mind the flickering for the higher perceived vertical resolution and better color.

I'm quoting myself just to expand on what I said and I want to keep it all together.

With all the great video upgrades with improved color saturation the interlaced mode looks even better on NTSC these days and is tolerable on PAL. Especially if you are using anything other than CRT so there are no scan lines anyway. Interlaced modes are an area of Atari graphics that IMHO modern displays and video upgrades have only improved upon. This assumes you have good displays and video upgrades and not cheap Chinese junk.

Edited by Gunstar