IGNORED

Printer Codes

RWAP

I have now released the Retro-Printer module which captures data from a parallel port and converts ESC/P2 or PCL data so that it can be printed on a modern printer (www.retroprinter.com)

An Atari STE has just tried using this to print from WordPerfect 5.0, using the default printer.

The output seems to use printer codes other than PCL or ESC/P2 - so I was wondering if anyone knows what printer it is for and whether there is a list of the control codes, so that I could create a new conversion routine.

The output is basically:

ESC @ (Reset)

PL

ESC @ (Reset)

F1

<CR>

ESC $1F $79 $20

ESC $57 (ESC W n - double printing on/off)

ESC $1F $OD

Bold

ESC $26

ESC $1E $09

<LF>, <CR>

ESC $1F $79 $20

ESC $1F $OD

Underline

<CR>

ESC $1F $79 $20

ESC $1F $03 $20

ESC $1F $OD

ESC $1F $05, $5F

ESC $1F $OD, $5F

<LF>, <CR>

ESC $1F $79 $20

ESC $1F $OD

Italics

<LF>, <CR>

ESC $1F $79 $20

ESC $1F $OD

Normal

<CR>

ESC $1F is not ESC/P2 or IBM pro-printer codes. Could it be the specific Atari printer?

Early Atari ST word processors (usually) required you load a specific program dependant printer driver for each program. So Word Perfect would have it's own usually propriety drivers for each printer and 1st Word would have another set of propriety drivers. Usually these drivers were for Epson compatible dot matrix (say FX 80). You may also get some slightly exotic drivers for daisy wheel printers and the Atari Laser. None of which would work I would have thought with your printer routine. I would have a look through the Word Perfect manual to see what printers there are drivers for (you might get lucky with Word Perfect) and change accordingly. Normally the driver files are in the format of a text file with the printer operation codes written in them.

You would need to install the later standards of Speedo GDOS or NVDI to get access to more universal drivers, these work with later Atari word processors like Atari Works, Tempus Word and Papyrus etc - these will have drivers for printers that work with at least one of those standards. The original GDOS may also work, although I don't know whether it has drivers for something as 'modern' (cough) as ESC/P2 or PCL data.

I would have thought if you can add Epson support to your printer program you will have a lot more luck with early programs like Word Perfect :)