Jump to content
HDTV1080P

ColecoVision 17 Watt 3.4 amp USB Power Supply solution (user review)

Recommended Posts

I am in progress of rebuilding original power supply. What to use to put it back together? I am guessing epoxy. The Mean Well one I heard some people experiencing interference issues with those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 9:10 PM, HDTV1080P said:

The Dragonbox Col USB Power plug for the ColecoVision has went out of production according to my sources and is no longer being stocked by dealers. However, the Dragonbox website in Germany says the Col USB is “out of stock” so maybe under ideal conditions the company might manufacture some more CV-power (Col USB) plugs. But that most likely is wishful thinking. Every authorized Col USB dealer in the United States is out of stock (including all worldwide dealers). Once and awhile the Col USB plug might pop up on EBAY or Amazon from various dealers at inflated prices for new and used units.

 

ColUSB - USB Power Supply for the Colecovision - Power Supplies (dragonbox.de)

 

NO LONGER STOCKED ColUSB - USB Power Supply for the Colecovision ColecoPlug USB-C (console5.com)

 

ColUSB - USB Power Supply / Adapter for the Colecovision - Stone Age Gamer

While its true that no USA dealer has the Col USB plug in stock. It appears that the Col USB plug is still in production. After many months of being out of stock, Dragon Box Shop just sent out a email notifying everyone that there is a total QTY of 339 Col USB plugs that are in stock now.

 

Therefore if that is correct information, maybe some of the dealers around the world well try to import the Col USB plug to their country. In the past sometimes people had issues trying to get the COL USB plug imported in large QTY’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2021 at 6:58 PM, HDTV1080P said:

After many months of being out of stock, Dragon Box Shop just sent out a email notifying everyone that there is a total QTY of 339 Col USB plugs that are in stock now.

I placed my order on 7/23, but I'm yet to receive a shipping notification.  Hopefully it will be on its way soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2021 at 10:31 PM, Sargon said:

I placed my order on 7/23, but I'm yet to receive a shipping notification.  Hopefully it will be on its way soon!

I received mine from Dragon Box today!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I inquired with Stone Age Gamer, who replied that they will be restocking the ColUSB's when the manufacturer's next batch is made.  Apparently that one will be done in a much larger quantity, which makes sense to import.  May be another month or two.

 

PS: I did notice that Dragonbox finally has an affordable shipping worldwide service again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

I inquired with Stone Age Gamer, who replied that they will be restocking the ColUSB's when the manufacturer's next batch is made.  Apparently that one will be done in a much larger quantity, which makes sense to import.  May be another month or two.

 

PS: I did notice that Dragonbox finally has an affordable shipping worldwide service again.

This is good news since its the only device in production on the market that powers the ColecoVision. Its good to see them ramp up production again.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any new news on the ColUSB plugs? I have given my email address to Stone Age Gamer site to notify me if they get stock on these, but I would be interested in having a couple of these plugs. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gdoug said:

Any new news on the ColUSB plugs? I have given my email address to Stone Age Gamer site to notify me if they get stock on these, but I would be interested in having a couple of these plugs. Thanks

All the United States dealers have decided not to carry this product or they are having trouble getting stock imported into the United States. According to the Dragon Box website there is now a total of 260 COL USB plugs in stock in Germany. If you buy in small QTY’s (around 7 maximum) you might not have any trouble getting your order, if you want to purchase in large quantities there might be issues getting the COL USB plug.  

 

Here is the latest link to the Dragon Box Shop website to order the COL USB plug.  

 

https://dragonbox.de/en/power-supplies/colusb-usb-power-supply-for-the-colecovision.html

Edited by HDTV1080P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

COLUSB are available on Stone Age Gamer again.

Thanks for the information. I was getting ready to post the same message and you beat me to it. According to the Dragon Box website in Germany they have a total of 227 Col USB in stock. It is good to see USA dealers stock this product once again, since it has been around 2 years since I have seen it in stock in the USA. There is a little bit of inflation occurring on the COL USB product. Stone Age Gamer back in June of 2020 was selling the Col USB plug for $38, now in January 2022 the cost of the exact same product is $48.99 plus shipping. Around a $10 price increase. After one purhases a high quality USB power supply with cable that costs goes up to around $25 for those items. So around $75 or $80+ for the Col USB product when bundled with a high quality USB power supply and cable.

 

I see both Amazon and EBAY dealers are also selling the COL USB plug once again.    

 

https://dragonbox.de/en/power-supplies/colusb-usb-power-supply-for-the-colecovision.html

 

ColUSB - USB Power Supply / Adapter for the Colecovision - Stone Age Gamer

Edited by HDTV1080P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Stone Age Gamer a legit site to order from?  Is it assumed that a power supply upgrade such as this will eliminate weird graphics glitching my console has suffered from for many years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrRetroGamer said:

Is Stone Age Gamer a legit site to order from?  Is it assumed that a power supply upgrade such as this will eliminate weird graphics glitching my console has suffered from for many years?

Stone Age is as legit as they come.  Yes it's possible your PSU is causing those, though you might have other issues re: video ram, the most frequent source is the power supply.  Just take note you cannot use a high powered wall adapter with the COLUSB, or it could fry it.

Edited by Greg2600

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2022 at 10:37 AM, Greg2600 said:

Stone Age is as legit as they come.  Yes it's possible your PSU is causing those, though you might have other issues re: video ram, the most frequent source is the power supply.  Just take note you cannot use a high powered wall adapter with the COLUSB, or it could fry it.

I think you meant the most frequent source of glitching is the power switch. I have multiple oem supplies and consoles. Only one PSU went bad in the last 38 years. But all of the consoles needed a switch cleaning at some point. 

 

And +1 to the recommendation on SAG. Their customer service is top notch and they have a wide selection of items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, MrRetroGamer said:

Is Stone Age Gamer a legit site to order from?  Is it assumed that a power supply upgrade such as this will eliminate weird graphics glitching my console has suffered from for many years?

Very legit. Nice people and quick to ship. I've ordered a bunch from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick update, got my order from Stone Age Gamer today.  Quick shipping for sure!  As far as this device, my initial quick testing is showing that it HAS cleared up the weird graphics glitching that I have suffered from!  Will have to give it a good thorough work-out for sure, will give me an excuse to play some games again!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup like I said, the power supply is often the true source of most people's ills on this console.  There were slight issues I never realized were there before getting a second, more effective OEM PSU.  The other one I'd been using for years, which I thought was fine, clearly was not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dragonbox in Germany is now officially out of stock on the ColUSB plug.

 

https://dragonbox.de/en/power-supplies/colusb-usb-power-supply-for-the-colecovision.html

 

However StoneAge Gamer still has the Col USB plug in stock and now they have a option to bundle the ColUSB plug with a USB cable and a high quality 15 watt 3.0 amp USB-C power supply that is energy efficient VI DOE rated, FCC tested, and UL listed, for only $61.98.

 

https://stoneagegamer.com/colusb-power-supply-adapter-for-the-colecovision-usb-c.html

 

The 17 watt 3.4amp Col USB power supply kit that is offered by some Amazon and EBAY dealers comes with a high gauge gold plated 100 watt 5amp cable and a more powerful power supply, but sometimes was selling for $85 to $99.99.

For a limited time until supplies last, Amazon and EBAY dealers are offering the 17 watt 3.4 amp USB-C Power Supply solution for only $61.98 plus $4.99 shipping. This is an excellent clearance price for those that prefer to power their ColecoVision with a USB power supply solution.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2022 at 1:46 PM, HDTV1080P said:

However StoneAge Gamer still has the Col USB plug in stock and now they have a option to bundle the ColUSB plug with a USB cable and a high quality 15 watt 3.0 amp USB-C power supply that is energy efficient VI DOE rated, FCC tested, and UL listed, for only $61.98.

 

https://stoneagegamer.com/colusb-power-supply-adapter-for-the-colecovision-usb-c.html

 

SAG just started a Memorial Day sale going on right now, they dropped the price to $50. Sale runs till Tuesday 5/31 at noon ET. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...