IGNORED

Atari 2600 for modern tv

starpodlog

I'm surprised to hear about so many TVs with no coax input. How do people hook up their antennas or even basic cable? Do these TVs not have tuners and channel buttons either? Anyway I was imprssed at how well my old 2600 looked on my HDTV, not that I use it with it. I still prefer my CRT for classic systems. I guess with how horrible the SNES and Genesis look on HDTVs I was sort of expecting the Atari to not even work at all. I guess those solid colors and giant blocky graphics upscale really well though.

Edited by Banquo
  • Like 1

I'm surprised to hear about so many TVs with no coax input. How do people hook up their antennas or even basic cable? Do these TVs not have tuners and channel buttons either? Anyway I was imprssed at how well my old 2600 looked on my HDTV, not that I use it with it. I still prefer my CRT for classic systems. I guess with how horrible the SNES and Genesis look on HDTVs I was sort of expecting the Atari to not even work at all. I guess those solid colors and giant blocky graphics upscale really well though.

You are expected to use cable or Fiber STB via HDMI. Again the cable / fiber lobbyists are paying the TV manufactures to remove the turner and coax connection. A TV tuner box with coaxial antenna input can be purchased as it attaches via HDMI.

• Like 1

I am reading this from my 65" Visio "Monitor" that is the main "TV" (which it isn't) in my family room. I view everything from Comcast box, Roku, Blu-Ray, or attached older laptop in the cabinet. I haven't viewed anything over the air in close to 20 years.

Now I have an amazing 36" Sony WEGA tucked away in the basement for dream classic video game room, and a 9" TV/DVD that I use for 2600 use.

• Like 1

I would advise the use of a VHS player, if you are going retro why not have a VHS player? You can demodulate with the VHS and feed it to a RetroTink 2X but if you hate VHS so much you can AV mod your Atari which basically bypasses the RF modulator on the Atari and you get regular RCA AV ports that you can feed into the RetroTink and get that sweet HDMI. RetroTink will give you lag free scaling and make gaming on an HDTV easier with less lag just make sure you set your TV to game mode.