IGNORED

Spotting Repros

vortistokushima

Yeah and Microsoft is still selling Windows. The people who own Battlesphere won't do another run despite great demand so thats on them.

Now people bootlegging stuff Carl has the rights to at Songbird and is actually producing and selling still, that I think is very bad.

Yeah it's bad, but Carl will probably still sell to the people that were going to buy the real deal. I just bought Skyhammer from AA a few weeks back. I bought here because the real deal was available.The real thing isn't always available though.

I know some people will by a knock off when it fits their budget where the real thing never will.

Yeah and Microsoft is still selling Windows. The people who own Battlesphere won't do another run despite great demand so thats on them.

Now people bootlegging stuff Carl has the rights to at Songbird and is actually producing and selling still, that I think is very bad.

Ah - I see. I'm sure the movie studios think the same way. If there's something I want that isn't on DVD, I can just copy it and start selling my own then.

Movie studios, DVDs, films, million dollar budgets. This doesn't quite compare to what is going on with Jaguar reproduction games.

One thing I'd love to see is 4Play release the source code to Battlesphere. Not the assets, but just the game code itself. It might be interesting to see what kind of games are built using their code and really it would only bring more attention to their work and what they were able to do with the Jaguar. Look at the amazing things that have been done with id software's source code releases.

GPL Battlesphere!

I just put on my flame retardant suit.

Movie studios, DVDs, films, million dollar budgets. This doesn't quite compare to what is going on with Jaguar reproduction games.

One thing I'd love to see is 4Play release the source code to Battlesphere. Not the assets, but just the game code itself. It might be interesting to see what kind of games are built using their code and really it would only bring more attention to their work and what they were able to do with the Jaguar. Look at the amazing things that have been done with id software's source code releases.

GPL Battlesphere!

I just put on my flame retardant suit.

Lots of source code for lots of games released. And, aside from someone blatantly re-skinning a RAPTOR Basic example for a quick cash grab, nothing has been done with any of them in so far as making another game (Doom, extra levels, Checkered Flag, just getting it to compile)

• Like 3

Somewhat new Jaguar collector here. I've gotten my first few games cib, and like the idea of getting as many as possible this way.

I've seen some repro boxes floating around on various sites, and this is a bit worrisome when thinking about the higher end games. Is there any way that you can tell the difference and know you are getting an original box? Especially if buying online and not able to physically handle it? Just looking to do my due diligence.

Some of them are so good right now, that it's nearly impossible without opening it up and looking... and at that point, you've destroyed the sticker.

I've bought every single new Jaguar release that's come out... every single one except GORF, BlackLight, and Battlesphere … just wasn't around for them when they were released.

I only say that to caveat that I did buy the repro for Battlesphere, and the quality is so good, that I really don't see how you could tell the difference. The sticker is printed on a glossy sticker (like all other Jag games). The edges are rounded off, like quality Jaguar cartridge stickers. It's actually a Jaguar shell, and it's the actual code / software. I mean... unless I bought an original Battlesphere Gold for $35, but I kind of doubt it. There's really no legal justification other than I want the game, and I'm not paying $1,000 for it... and there's no where else for me to get it. But I have no problems with buying that game because I'd purchase it new if they sold it, and I've bought literally every other Jaguar game that's come available over the years (and continue to do so)... so I've never lost sleep over it.

But that said... for games that are currently being sold, right now, in the Atari Age Store, Video 61, Songbird, etc... it's nothing short of stealing to buy a reproduction of those games.

• Like 1