IGNORED

Specific game not working

SumnerS

Hey everyone, My computer is a 1040STf with TOS 1.04, I play games the old fashioned way with floppies and no Gotek or similar. All my games I have work fine but one in particular (Continental Circus) when I try and access the floppy drive I don't hear the floppy drive doing anything and the loading bee cursor shows up on screen but nothing happens. The game is supposed to auto load so if I have the floppy inserted and then boot up once again nothing happens.

Any advice would be appreciated, I've cleaned the internal floppy drive itself, and I've recapped the main pcb for preventative maintenance. Starting to think the game floppy is bad but would it just not do anything (no noise coming from the drive) if that was the case?

The fact the floppy does nothing is a bit odd, even a dirty disk will attempt to load and eventually bring up the desktop (or grind to a hideous halt). Is your drive single sided by any chance (on the ST you could test this by trying to format a blank disk to double sided from the desktop. Some STF's did ship with single sided drives, often these are the big button versions. You may have been lucky with your game choices being single sided and then Continental could be a double sided game.

You could try and see if the bootsector has been wiped on the disk (Ultra Virus Killer might be an option here, as long as you inspect rather than wipe the bootsector, which UVK may think is a virus... although in theory it could really be a bootsector virus... - that program also allows you to restore some bootsectors so might help), or the disk is physically damaged - pull back the tab and rotate the disk looking for scratches or general filth.