Jump to content
Pioneer4x4

My Non-Tendo R.O.B. project controlling Nintendo's ROB with an Atari

Recommended Posts

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/190214-i-got-my-atari-to-control-my-nintendo-rob-robot/

Is the old thread where I created and sold a couple. I am going to publish the source code and the .bin file for others. I recently got hit with I guess a type of ransomware on my main PC that I do this type of stuff from and I recovered everything from my multiple backups, and old HDs. The last files I recovered were my old Atari projects, and I would have hated them to be lost forever. I figured I will just post them here, and that should cover it. Remember, this is something I did back in 2011, and haven't touched since. I will see if Albert will want to add it to his Homebrew carts he sells as well.

This is NOT A GAME, or anything remotely fun. To me it was something that was just plain cool to try and when it first worked, I was stunned.

To control the ROB, you need to flash the screen of a crt bright/dim in a pattern that the ROB recognizes. Most of the code is controller detection (12 button controllers were by far the hardest, harder than the actual getting ROB to work)

I can't remember everyone that helped, but;

Albert with this site in general! I also got professional quality labels from him.

I got boards from CPUWiz I believe.

Then batari Basic is what really allowed me to be able to even get a flashing dot on the screen, heck to get a screen to display at all!

Stella and then the Harmony cart for testing made it infinitely more convenient to test code, massive thanks to both.

Everyone on this site that helped me with questions directly, or just from other posts...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the source code, I did different versions with only the actual color displayed being the difference, like a poke at Nintendo to sell the same thing over and over in different colors...

 

EDITED: Source code attached in post #5



Edited  by Pioneer4x4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing this. By any chance could you upload the source as an attachment instead? It looks like all of your indentations were lost in the copy/paste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing this. By any chance could you upload the source as an attachment instead? It looks like all of your indentations were lost in the copy/paste.

 

Sure, but you are assuming that I indented in the first place... ;-)

ROB-Final.bas

Edited by Pioneer4x4
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Sure, but you are assuming that I indented in the first place... ;-)

 

It's been a while since you've done bB from what you said. I know you indented because it wouldn't compile if you didn't! :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

It's been a while since you've done bB from what you said. I know you indented because it wouldn't compile if you didn't! :-D

 

Yes, it has been quite a while. But I still remember the feeling of accomplishment with getting something to work first in Stella, then putting it on a card for the Harmony and seeing it on an old TV. Then burning it to an EPROM, and soldering it in and testing and seeing it work "for real".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Here is the source code, I did different versions with only the actual color displayed being the difference, like a poke at Nintendo to sell the same thing over and over in different colors...

 

EDITED: Source code attached in post #5


 

 

Pioneer, if you paste your code into your post using the "Code" format (the <> button in the editing toolbar, it will preserve your spaces and such (as well as use a monospaced font that will ensure everything's "lined up" as it should be, such as your playfield data blocks, etc.)

 

In any case, a very cool project! Thanks for releasing it into the wild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just found this in my desk at work. I used to have it on a shelf and forgot it was even here!

I think I made a total of 10, and this is the last one, I sold the other 9. I wonder if anyone still has them or use them. This also shows the outside of the "manual" I made.

The label still looks good after 8-9 years. I bought them from Al, and thought they looked great then.

post-25375-0-56793600-1551382721_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pioneer4x4
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...