IGNORED

Are Sony Trinitron TVs as Good as Everyone Says?

A couple of months ago, I posted about the best CRT TVs for retro gaming. At the time, I really didn't know that much about the different between RF, Composite, Component, RGB and so on. Although I'm by no means an expert about the topic by now, I feel like I've watched enough videos and made enough research to feel more comfortable about the topic. So I ended up getting a 21-inch Toshiba that a guy at the local TV store gave to me for free. I was extremely excited at the time, but I kept doing research and people keep bringing up the same sets again and again. So I already gave up on getting a Sony PVM, BVM or an equivalent from other brands. I live in a small city and the local TV station got rid of them years ago. The alternative is Sony Wega Trinitron and a couple of those keep reappearing on Facebook Marketplace. My questions are the following: Are they as good as people say because I've never seen one hooked up? How much would you pay for a 29-inch Trinitron (that's the size I keep seeing)? Which connections do those TVs have? I assume they do composite and component, but what about RGB Scart? Is it worth spending money on that TV and carrying it to my house for that alone? I'm not expecting to get answers for all of these questions, but if anyone can send me links to other people's articles so that I can read them that would be awesome. Then I need to convince my wife... but that's for another thread I guess. Thanks!

They have good color reproduction, sharp pixels, and a flat front with square corners, making them ideal for computer displays because nothing gets distorted. Are they "all that" in modern times, when we have super high resolution LCDs at much lower prices than the old CRTs? No, in that case, they're only "good for what they are," which is to today's eyes, a 60Hz bulky tube screen. That said, if you have a choice to get one vs some random no-name for retro gaming, choose the Sony.

There's a "high end" and a "low end" for Trinitrons. The lower-end ones have crummy speakers and only composite/S-Video. Later Trinitrons had bigger speakers and YPbPr inputs. The latter is what I'd love to have. I already have the former, and it's OK I guess. The picture is very nice, but I know there can be more.

I mean to me this is like a used car buy...A 1980 Mercedes 280SL is a better car than a 1980 Mercury Carpi ...in 1980. but if the 280SL is now puffing smoke and the Capri is still running great, which is actually better?

I'd use your eyes in person and judge for yourself, using only the brands as a general guide. This is old hardware. They haven't all had the same kind of lives. I've brought home DOA Trinitrons, and Wegas where the geometry was way off (yes fixable but I'm not a service tech guy). I've also brought home a Kmart Magnavox TV that was cheap as crap originally (I know because I owned ithe same model new in 1997!) and it looked as good as it ever did, which was pretty ok.

If you plug in your system and it looks good...that should be the ultimate answer. If having the "top of the line" retro TV for showing off is the point, get a broken Sony and just take a picture of it. :lol:

• Like 2

Personally I don't feel like theirs are that much superior to RCA, JVC, Samsung, Panasonic, Magnavox, Toshiba, etc. However, Sony's back then were built with better, more reliable components. They also tend to have more picture modes, additional connections and better speakers, depending on the model.

• Like 1

I have a 32" Trinitron that has a great variety of inputs, so I can easily have three or four consoles hooked up at one time. The picture is much clearer than any TV I had back in the day. I looked up the model number one time and IIRC apparently it used to sell for about $3200 brand new (I got mine used for $5 about six years ago). I really like it, but I dread ever having to move it again!

There's a "high end" and a "low end" for Trinitrons. The lower-end ones have crummy speakers and only composite/S-Video. Later Trinitrons had bigger speakers and YPbPr inputs. The latter is what I'd love to have. I already have the former, and it's OK I guess. The picture is very nice, but I know there can be more.

So the lower-end trinitrons only have s-video and composite? That's interesting, I'll make sure to ask for pictures of the back of the TVs to make sure I'm getting one of the better ones.

This past weekend I was comparing my Sony FS100, a very common "budget" set against a Sony FV300, a set designed to appeal to the home theater crowd. The specs that Sony published for these sets were virtually identical but FV300 was clearly the superior set. Excellent colour, contrast, and inky blacks. However I agree that geometry issues drive me nuts so I am currently looking to purchase a PVM. I will say that in my experience crts with convex screens seem that have better geometry than flat screens. I am currently searching for a JVC D Series set. On the surface they appear to be a legitimate alternative to a trinitron. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/JVC/Archive/2000%20Catalog%20-%20D%20Series.pdf

Edited by LaserCat

So the lower-end trinitrons only have s-video and composite? That's interesting, I'll make sure to ask for pictures of the back of the TVs to make sure I'm getting one of the better ones.

The FS100 has component input and it is a lower end set AFAIK. FYI the FV310 is the most desired set. It is virtually identical to the 300 except that it has a voltage regulator that is supposed to contribute to picture quality in some way or another that I cannot remember. I have never seen a 310 unfortunately.

Edited by LaserCat

You can't beat free, right?

When it comes to bulky things like televisions, I'd rather pay for something of quality than get something for free that I'm not going to be happy with. As an example, I took up an offer on a 27 inch mid-'90s Philips TV a few years back, gleefully. Got it home, hooked it up, and it just didn't look good to my eyes. The image was super soft compared to my Trinitron and I felt like I had wasted my time and effort getting up my stairs, hooking it up and tinkering with it. I ended up quickly donating it to someone else.

I'm not sure if I'd call the ones with only s-video "lower end" when looking at it from a retro gaming angle. From what I understand, component wasn't something that was common on these until a bit later, and the s-video you do get is a significant visible jump from composite (more so than the jump from s-video to component). Component models are obviously the way to go if you can find them (the more flexibility, the better), but if you find a flat screen model with s-video, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Edited by Austin

All of them had excellent tubes, from what I can tell. Mine is the more "budget" variety without YPbPr, but with S-Video it's still pretty sharp. It's also for sale if you're local to central Illinois. Got a new office TV and I think I'm ready to part with it.

They have good color reproduction, sharp pixels, and a flat front with square corners, making them ideal for computer displays because nothing gets distorted. Are they "all that" in modern times, when we have super high resolution LCDs at much lower prices than the old CRTs? No, in that case, they're only "good for what they are," which is to today's eyes, a 60Hz bulky tube screen.

Sigh :) Games from CRT-era were made on, and for, CRT tech and often utilized its flaws - such as colour bleed, dithering NTSC artifacting and so on to great effect as a roundabout method of post-processing. Modern super high resolution LCD are a completely different story, meant for modern games. Therefore if you display the old on new without help of shaders or assorted hardware like OSSC the result will be dreadful - flat, naked, blocky, etc. Akin to looking at RAW photos or listening to non-mastered recordings. If that's anybody's personal preference then fine, but obvioulsy quite a lot of people perceive this differently.

Cost of a CRT TV is usually between 0-50 $ Cost of a rig + panel + gear which can get close to a CRT look counts in hundreds.

My questions are the following: Are they as good as people say because I've never seen one hooked up? How much would you pay for a 29-inch Trinitron (that's the size I keep seeing)? Which connections do those TVs have? I assume they do composite and component, but what about RGB Scart? Is it worth spending money on that TV and carrying it to my house for that alone? I'm not expecting to get answers for all of these questions, but if anyone can send me links to other people's articles so that I can read them that would be awesome. Then I need to convince my wife... but that's for another thread I guess. Thanks!

This is a big problem with this hobby - while there are knowledgeable people and places to check for info, they inadverently also create a rabbit hole and a heavily distorted general picture (pun unintended). Lot's of newcomers think now that to enjoy CRT gaming you really need a super costly PVM or some esoteric, specific consumer model. And that the only way is component/RGB, anything else will give you eye cancer.

Saying this as somebody who fell for these myths for a long time and who also owned countless sets over the last few years. The truth though is that you are probably perfectly fine with your current Toshiba. Any half decent consumer set from a trusted manufacturer (and sometimes unbranded too) will deliver very good results. Yeah, maybe there were some series that are slightly better or reliable than others but trying to hunt them now is a) nigh on impossible b) bit pointless anyway. Maybe that super duper Trinitron was ran 24/7 for years and will flop after a week? There is no way of telling. And the IQ difference in reality is minuscule. I have some Trinitrons but also some no name "chinese junk" and seriously, they're all fine. The blacks are black. The colours pop. Geometry? Ain't nobody (I, at least) got time for that anymore :) I just want to play games, not live in the menus, endlessly tweaking and agonizing over some unattainable ideals, which nobody cared about back in the day anyway.

So to answer your questions, if your Toshiba has at least S-vid, I wouldn't worry too much about desperately chasing the Trinitrons. Of course it also depends what are you outputting from , if you have component capable sources then it's wort having a TV that can take them, but it's not be-all end-all as you will hear elsewhere, especially seeing as some games actually look better in composite/S-vid edition (behold the pitchfork mob lol).

If you are in US, no TV will have RGB apart form monitors and PVMS. Component is the alternative. In Europe, most later sets will have a RGB SCART. How much? The most I ever paid was 100$ (27" Trinitron) - but it was with delivery and carrying up to my 2nd story apartment. I wouldn't spring for more than 70$ just for a set (depending on connections/brand) , though now this hobby got trendy, scalpers are ruthlessly moving in.

Still, what I would do is just enjoy the current set, don't read/watch too much about it as it can really turn your head, and keep checking the ads. You can also post your own Wanted one - that's how Igot a couple of Trinitrons over the summer. If something suitable but not too costly pops up, grab it. If not, just keep on gaming instead of worrying :)

Edited by youxia
  • Like 6

So true.

It's the advice I give to most "new" retrogamers. Whether they are people that wanna hook their old systems or young people wanting to experiment the old ways.

It's a matter of tastes, too. I like my displays sharp and blocky, because we had RGB everywhere here so I grew up with nice, sharp, "emulator-like" displayed pixels.

Plus, there isn't any "one fits all" TV set.

For 8 bits systems, and 16 bits, a small TV will do just fine, you don't need to have Joust on the 2600 displayed over half of your wall? An early 90's TV with a good tuner is a plus, and even if it's small and cheap it will do just fine.

if you're more fan of the 16/32 bits and 32/64 bits era, then a larger TV would be more a thing, and you can take a more modern set since you wouldn't use the RF into, so focus more on the other inputs.

And for the 128 bits era then you can aim for the big thing, and even a 16/9 able model as well for the PS2/Xbox games that support it.

Edited by CatPix

Sony Trinitron's and Panasonic's are top notch.

Also, if you happen to come across a Magnavox 13" (Model 14MS2331/17) in good condition then snatch it up - they have pictures atleast as good as the others with even better sound.

I lucked out years ago when Circuit City was closing up and got the Magnavox for cheap.

Here's my Sony and Magnavox.....

post-4618-0-44282900-1550619418.jpg

post-4618-0-89584400-1550619433.jpg

Don't be so sad. In the UK, the cheap Pye brand sold colors TV with RF input only... up.. well, up to the demise of CRT TVs, way into the 2000's then!

(a sad fate for what used to be a famous UK brand...)

I went to grandmother's house today. She has a couple of TVs, the main ones are a 25-inch Telefunken with composite, S-video and component and the second one is a 21-inch LG that goes all the way up to 1080p/1080i. She watches cable using RF on both. I feel bad for those TVs.

• Like 1