IGNORED

No signal from two of my Intellivisions

austodd

So I have an INTV System III that started displaying garbled graphics. After doing some online research (most of it here on AtariAge) I determined that perhaps the problem was with the RA-3-9600 SRAM chip, so I figured I'd try swapping out this chip with an RA-3-9600 from another one of my working Intellivisions. I swapped the chips without too much trouble, but when I hooked everything back up and turned my System III back on, I got no signal. Just static on the TV. So I figured maybe I did something wrong, so I removed the donor RA-3-9600 and re-inserted the original one. Turned the unit back on and - static. I can see that the unit is getting power because the red power light on the System III is lit.

At this point I figured that maybe this just wasn't my night so I reassembled my donor Intellivision, which was previously working just fine, hooked it back up and - nothing. Again, just static on the TV. I thought that perhaps maybe something is wrong with my RF cable, so I took the RF cable and hooked it up to yet another Intellivision, and that one outputs a signal just fine. So it's not a problem with my TV or RF setup, and I verified that all Intellivisions are set to channel 3 and so is my TV.

I'm at a loss. What am I forgetting? How is it possible that I now have two Intellivisions that are not outputting a signal? What troubleshooting can I do? I'd appreciate any suggestions. I hate to think I've destroyed both of these units while trying to troubleshoot one of them!

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked those pesky ribbon cables connecting power to the mainboard?

Some recent experiences have shown me that the power LED is kind of wired up ... semi-randomly - so it's possible that the mainboard isn't getting the power it should. Those ribbon cables can be easily damaged.

Thanks for your response!

Using a multimeter I tested the voltage pins on the CPU, STIC, and SRAM and was able to verify that they are indeed getting power. Plus, those things get hot surprisingly fast! I just can't imagine what I must have done to both of these units to prevent them from outputting a signal. I don't even see a flicker on the TV when I switch on the power. Is it possible I managed to fry both of the RF modulators? Seems unlikely. Is there a good way to test these?

Actually I was just looking through the Intellivision service manual and saw that I should be getting +6V DC to the RF modulator, and I verified that I am getting that, so power is definitely making it there.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Edited by austodd