IGNORED

ECS variants - request for additional information

BSRSteve

So, we (Blue Sky Rangers, Inc) have seven ECS modules and several additional keyboards. One of the ECS does not work and one of he keyboards has a butchered cable (though still works). Most of the computer modules are stamped USA on the bottom and a couple are stamped Hong Kong. Most of the keyboards are stamped Taiwan and one or two are stamped Japan. On the modules, several of ours do not have the sticker with the serial number. The one I posted on eBay has a Property of Mattel Electronics sticker in its place.

We have three boxes, which all have the same artwork. One of them has a sticker that says the computer module is made in Hong Kong and the keyboard in Taiwan, and another says the computer module is made in Hong Kong and the keyboard in Japan. The third box has one of those two stickers - i don't remember which right now.

I don't have an extra Japan keyboard, so don't have a picture right now. I have both HK and US manuals. The HK manual is on much thinner paper, as they have the same number of pages, but is much thinner.

Does anyone know if the US computer module came both ways also? What other varieties are there? I gather there is a European one that is colored like the original master component? Are there any other differences I should look for in the copies that I have?

Also, any idea on an appropriate price for a loose working keyboard?

post-65616-0-03659800-1550686858_thumb.jpg

post-65616-0-09723400-1550686882_thumb.jpg

post-65616-0-14390600-1550686904_thumb.jpg

post-65616-0-64523100-1550686936_thumb.jpg

post-65616-0-80090000-1550686952_thumb.jpg

post-65616-0-47211400-1550686975_thumb.jpg

ECS and hardware variations in general is certainly an area lacking on my website. My personal collection database, very poorly documented, doesn't list USA versions of the ECS at all.

I'm not sure how many packaging and manual language variations there are of the Brown ECS. I bet some of our international members here have some good information on that, though.

Can't say what a good price on the keyboard alone would be. Personally, I typically just look for matching S/N pairs of keyboard and module and any un-paired items usually come from big "rescue" lots. I'd guess around $10 + shipping may sell, but the ECS is already kind of a slow-mover - even slower than the Intellivoice, I'd venture.

The only major variation I am aware of with ECS hardware is whether the internal 26-pin Expansion Connector is populated. Early ECSs had the connector and later versions didn't. That connector is where the never-release Program Expander cartridge was going to plug into (image shown in 1983 catalog).

Besides that, because there are a _lot_ of bodges added to the ECS circuit board. I'm not sure how many variations there are there. Most likely, they aren't that important.