IGNORED

SIO2SD question

playlevel1

Recently got a SIO2SD to supplement the other "antique" Atari gear I resurrected. My question is since this device needs XEX file type, many compilations only have ATX and APE file types.Is there a way to convert these to a file type that theSIO2SD can read. My "old" gear consist of 400 48K, 800 48K, 800XL stock 2 Happy 810 one Rana drive

You'll find all needed files here: http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?idx=A

Click on "Download all" on the right.

Basic SIO2SD setup and instructions here: https://www.santellocco.com/atari/consigli-sio2sd.htm#english

Thanks much for the links,are there any instructions on advanced SIO2SD functions such as how to transfer existing floppy files to SD?

If you want to explore using ATX disk images with your real hardware there are a couple relatively recent options. First, for under $25 worth of parts you could build an SDrive-MAX device or buy one pre-made by a few folks in the A8 community. Alternately, the current 4.3 branch of RespeQt, the open-source SIO peripheral emulation software now also supports ATX files thanks to some great work by forum member ebiguy. You would need an inexpensive SIO2PC device to connect your Atari to your modern computer.

you can stick the sd card your pc following the sio2sd instruction, make your ATARI folder, make folders a-z, and copy your atr's/xex's into those folders... then when done stick the sd card in your sio2sd

so as philsan pointed out

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/288750-sio2sd-question/?p=4229862

the disk repository in his link are modified with protections removed so they run as regular atr's(disks) that work on mostly all devices

you can create blank atr containers (aka blank disk media) , as outlined in the instructions, then format and use them as you see fit. I will act like a real drive with disk inserted once you select them. It will not do protected disk, but in the instructions you will see a speed index/divisor setting, turning down the speed helps load some software that normally would not load... it's a timing thing :)

the other methods of using a sio2pc (either rs232 or usb) is a bit slower, but if you do not have an sd card slot on your laptop/pc you can sector copy to the sio2sd atrs etc... as was mentioned in so many words. You have the choice of devices.

Edited by _The Doctor__

To transfer floppy files (ATR) or executable files (XEX) you only have to copy them on SD Atari folder.

Thanks again for reply. I was referring to actual floppys , I have many disks aquired back in the 80"s, some versions of certain games that I have not seen in the compilations so far.

let me see if this is what is being asked

how do I copy my real disks to my sio2sd?

what we need to know...

do you also have a real 1050 or better Atari disk drive?

if yes, then you can follow the direction for creating blank atr(s) then sector copy using disk wizard II from the real drive to the sio2sd drives atr. rinse repeat...

If you are trying to copy protected original disk. (not write protect but copy protection) You can still do the disk wizard copy but will need to do a further step and use chipmunk or some other protection defeating software to modify the resulting copy. It will then run...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

let me see if this is what is being asked

how do I copy my real disks to my sio2sd?

what we need to know...

do you also have a real 1050 or better Atari disk drive?

if yes, then you can follow the direction for creating blank atr(s) then sector copy using disk wizard II from the real drive to the sio2sd drives atr. rinse repeat...

If you are trying to copy protected original disk. (not write protect but copy protection) You can still do the disk wizard copy but will need to do a further step and use chipmunk or some other protection defeating software to modify the resulting copy. It will then run...

we have 2 Happy 810 and a Rana 1000 stock, so maybe not better than 1050.

You can copy from them as well but there is a wrinkle

I'd use the better of your 810's, if the copy fails after the outlined process, set the drive to un happy mode using the happy software then try again... if that doesn't work out then try the RANA. but the process will be the same.

please make sure to have a single sided cleaning disk... when using old disk, heads crap up easy. I use a wet disk but only moisten half.. the wet/dry method does a great job. Make sure you give the head time to dry off a few minutes after as well....

Edited by _The Doctor__