IGNORED

Happy Hacker for Atari - The Search for Atari Hacking/Phreaking Apps.

doctor_x

I am still greatly interested in finding a copy of happy hacker - a tone generator application for phone phreaks written in Atari Basic back in the 80's...

At this point I am willing to offer $25 to anyone who is willing to take the time to turn it into a ROM/Image...

Thanks for any help you might provide.. Obviously I'm interested in other hacking/phreaking apps for the Atari as well.. Wardialers, tone generators, telenet scanners, code hackers, etc.. A few of them have been cataloged but there was a lot more out there (I know, I used them personally) that have GOT to be out there somewhere..

Thanks!

• Like 2

This ATR has such a program and I haven't seen this disk posted yet, but it has 3 bad files I haven't been able to recover yet from the original disk. Original was copied back in 1984-5...

attachicon.gifCommDisk07A.ATR

I don't see the Happy Hacker program in that ATR like doctor_x is talking about. While I didn't use HH to hack anything, I thought it was cool as a kid making the touch tone sounds and dialing a phone by placing the phone receiver up to the tv speaker.

Edited by Brentarian
  • Like 1

You need a 2600 cycle tone, listen for beep-kerchunk, then enter number to call in MF (Not DTMF) code.

Example: call a toll free number. 800 888 or something. As soon as you connect blast 2600 down the line.Beep-kercunnk. dial the number (in MF).

It was great, but sadly, it doesn't work anymore.

There are almost no 'long distance' charges anymore, I guess it really doesn't matter now,

It was great while it lasted :)

I'm looking through my disks currently for my old Wargames dialer. Used that many a night to auto-dial out to hunt down and find Sprint, MCI and ATT long distance calling codes. Was always nice to wake up the next morning and find 1-2 new codes on the printer. Just like the movie, the dialer would dial up the Long distance exchange, send a long distance calling code in sequence, then try to call a Compuserve number in another state, if the connection was successful, it printed out that code on the printer. If not, it was hang up, try the next calling code and just dial all night for several nights on end till it hit on a valid code. Made for great trade bait to gain access to the pirate levels on BBS' to get the latest new games to download...

ah.. the good old days :-)

• Like 5

Stop you are making me cry!!! I miss those days!!!

I had one code that lasted for 2 years!!

I'm looking through my disks currently for my old Wargames dialer. Used that many a night to auto-dial out to hunt down and find Sprint, MCI and ATT long distance calling codes. Was always nice to wake up the next morning and find 1-2 new codes on the printer. Just like the movie, the dialer would dial up the Long distance exchange, send a long distance calling code in sequence, then try to call a Compuserve number in another state, if the connection was successful, it printed out that code on the printer. If not, it was hang up, try the next calling code and just dial all night for several nights on end till it hit on a valid code. Made for great trade bait to gain access to the pirate levels on BBS' to get the latest new games to download...

ah.. the good old days :-)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yep I am definitely not looking to "use" any of these apps as most do nothing since the signalling is different these days (in/out band) ... But I am putting together an archive (in my signature) and am just trying to gain as much as I can for the Atari8 as for whatever reason these programs did not last the test of time like the Apple2 and C64 did... And I know for a fact there were gobs as I used to have about 15-20 collected but sadly lost that system and all disks....

Thanks for the archive above! checking it out now...

Why can't we just rewrite the program? How hard can it be?

Because its not about USING the program... The functions of Happy Hacker and really any other phreaking app that existed other than a Wardialer are completely useless today.

Its about capturing the past, preserving it and sharing it. Maybe in A8 world there aren't many other who share my passion, but there definitely are for c64/apple2 therefore I continue with my collection endeavor. :)

And yes, it would be dead easy to rewrite it.

• Like 2