IGNORED

MRS CP/M OS for Foundation Z80 Card

RickyDean

So @gferluga, these were average CP/M disks for the Kaypro II and they boot right up on the Foundation Card? If that's so, then what I feel happened is the creator of the card did not get a license to use the CP/M bios on the card so went with the RP/M method. This still allowed the user to run CP/M programs. Go figure. I do have Kaypro II disks around, probably in storage, if their any good?. 

So anyhow to confirm you said they boot on the Foundation card? No modifications? Are the pictures in your pdf file, recent photos of thes disks being used, if so you are the man of the hour, so to speak. Thanks from all of mus who own this card.

Edited by RickyDean
added content

Rick. I boot the clone CP/M with card supplied disks.

After that I swap the disks with the Kaypro 2 ones and I’m able to read them and execute programs.

No boot from the K2 floppies.

Btw, has to be Kaypro 2 images, as seen from MS-DOS program 22disk

Edited by gferluga
  • Like 1

It is a relief to see that at least one copy of the software for this card survived long enough to be imaged. Many thanks for posting these @gferluga, as the small number of these cards known to be in the wild will now have the capability to be used. I also have the Foundation 80-column card (monochrome) that was intended to work with the CP/M card. They are even harder to find (I've seen no more than 2-3 total in the wild, as opposed to the 10 or so CP/M cards that have turned up over the years), but they connect via serial connection, so that shouldn't be too hard to set up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, gferluga said:

Rick. I boot the clone CP/M with card supplied disks.

After that I swap the disks with the Kaypro 2 ones and I’m able to read them and execute programs.

No boot from the K2 floppies.

Btw, has to be Kaypro 2 images, as seen from MS-DOS program 22disk

Okay, that was to be expected then, as it is stated that the Z80A card will run CP/M 2.2 programs. I'm glad that my miserable attempts spurred you into action. Thanks again for these files, now all who have useless Z80A cards will be able to make them useful again. Well done!!

Edited by RickyDean
spelling
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Does the screen scroll horizontally to accommodate 80 columns like on the Coleco Adam or does it just roll over to the next line? If it's the latter, then that does limit the usefulness somewhat from a display formatting standpoint.

As @Ksarulsaid earlier, there was a Foundation 80 col card that could be purchased to have a monochrome 80 col display. I would think a 80 column TE along with a F18A or a 9938/58 card would also display 80, but I'll let Ksarul expound on that. I've got other things happening at the moment, but will in a couple of weeks after my vacation, give it a try with a F18A. 

Well. Out of the box the original TE software doesn’t gain any advantage of the F18a.

I test it…

However there are some options:

- hack the original TE software 

- use a mechanism like the Adam CP/M to use an external terminal

- try another terminal emulation software, maybe the one from TIPI

I’m not taking the challenge here this time 😉

On 9/25/2023 at 6:07 PM, gferluga said:

Well. Out of the box the original TE software doesn’t gain any advantage of the F18a.

I test it…

However there are some options:

- hack the original TE software 

- use a mechanism like the Adam CP/M to use an external terminal

- try another terminal emulation software, maybe the one from TIPI

I’m not taking the challenge here this time 😉

You should try TIMXT it supports full 80 col color ansi terminal rs232

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...