IGNORED

Is there a way to convert TI files to a format that can be saved 2 cassette

xabin

We're still trying to get our TI working, but now that we have a better idea of what to do with it, and what parts to look for, we're looking into getting some of the files we found online saved to a format that can be read onto cassettes for the datacorder we got. Is there a way to do so, and if so, what files can be converted? http://tigameshelf.net/has a few games we want to try (like Ms. Pac-Man, Marble Madness, and Pitfall), but they no longer have datacorder files for them on there.

first off unless you have 32k ram you can't load any assembly programs from disk OR tape.. there's a mini memory cart that will load ONLY mini memory assembly programs.. of which there are a few games

there are 2 exceptions to this rule

playground programs will load without 32k (so far, a lines demo, and a program that loads other programs.. really) these are super small to fit in the console ram

loading programs that work off cartridges that contain the program..

SO if you get a finalgrom99 or ubergrom or other rom cart you can load some programs off that.. many in fact..

If you get a mspac cart you can run mspac on a stock console, not sure if pitfall requires 32k.. some carts do.. mostly homebrews EVERYTHING from TI and atarisoft runs on stock console from cart.

programs you can load from cassette on a stock console are:

ti basic programs

very small extended basic programs (with extended basic cart)

buncha info in the FAQ pinned post about cassette stuff..

32k sidecars are available to fix that issue..

Greg

Well, even the non-34K-needing programs on that page we'd like to test (like Oregon Trail). All of the programs I've seen are only for DSK or cartridge burning BIN files, not cassette WAV files, and now that we have a datacorder, we'd like to try and get some of those programs onto it.

Well, even the non-34K-needing programs on that page we'd like to test (like Oregon Trail). All of the programs I've seen are only for DSK or cartridge burning BIN files, not cassette WAV files, and now that we have a datacorder, we'd like to try and get some of those programs onto it.

http://ftp.whtech.com/Cassettes/has a ton. Do you have a PC? you could load a program in MAME and save to a WAV file then play that WAV file to the ti..

http://ftp.whtech.com/Cassettes/has a ton. Do you have a PC? you could load a program in MAME and save to a WAV file then play that WAV file to the ti..

I heard rumors that the square wave output of MAME is not well accepted by the real iron. Experience reports welcome. I consider to emulate the particular wave form to improve compatibility.

Ah, thanks for the link; among the games FarmerPotato gave us was the cartridge for Tunnels of Doom, but he couldn't find the cassette for it, and the only file I found while searching Google was the DSK file Tursi uploaded a while back. We're really wanting to do it though cassette, since we also got a datacorder from him, and we recently found some cassettes that we hope can work with it (they're Maxell XLII90 high bias IEC type 2 90 minute cassettes).

Nice to see you're keeping your hopes up!

The best way to make the cassette would be to load from the PC to the TI, than SAVE from the TI to TAPE.

Data tape are intentionally short, because the tape is made thick... so it doesn't stretch easily(distorting the data). Real data tape is best... C60 barely acceptable... C90 = Asking for trouble(big time)... longer tapes must be manufactured thinner in order to fit in the cassette shell.

High bias tape is "better" but only if recorded in a machine designed with such recording capability.

I like CrO2 formulations.

A Little O.T.
Metal tape when manually biased and AM modulated yields incredible performance! Forget digital... hear a pin-drop while lightning strikes loudly! :music:

H.A.

Ah, thanks for the link; among the games FarmerPotato gave us was the cartridge for Tunnels of Doom, but he couldn't find the cassette for it, and the only file I found while searching Google was the DSK file Tursi uploaded a while back. We're really wanting to do it though cassette, since we also got a datacorder from him, and we recently found some cassettes that we hope can work with it (they're Maxell XLII90 high bias IEC type 2 90 minute cassettes).

It just occurred to me that I can just plug in Tunnels of Doom, load a game from DSK1, then save to CS1. Duh. I am all set up with cassette recorder on my desk these days (cassettes are cool again?)

• Like 2

It just occurred to me that I can just plug in Tunnels of Doom, load a game from DSK1, then save to CS1. Duh. I am all set up with cassette recorder on my desk these days (cassettes are cool again?)

Yep, just wait... New 8 track players at walmart. :-D ;)

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

Nice to see you're keeping your hopes up!

The best way to make the cassette would be to load from the PC to the TI, than SAVE from the TI to TAPE.

Data tape are intentionally short, because the tape is made thick... so it doesn't stretch easily(distorting the data). Real data tape is best... C60 barely acceptable... C90 = Asking for trouble(big time)... longer tapes must be manufactured thinner in order to fit in the cassette shell.

High bias tape is "better" but only if recorded in a machine designed with such recording capability.

I like CrO2 formulations.

A Little O.T.

Metal tape when manually biased and AM modulated yields incredible performance! Forget digital... hear a pin-drop while lightning strikes loudly! :music:

H.A.

I see. So if we can't get anything more than that, C60 tapes will work? I've been seeing very little locally that isn't below 60, if not below 90, so...

I found this on Ebay, but I'm not sure if it's able to work on a TI corder, or how many games can fit on it.

Edited by xabin

Those should work well!
They'd be good to save your own work.

For every-day(available) stuff(data)... a good condition, Quality C60 is realistic... been a long time though... I used to like TDK both for the tape and the mechanism.
These days I use an Olympus Voice Recorder... portable, fast and reliable(never use carbon batteries)! Most models offer some level of indexing.
...don't really use anymore since I got the TIPI for development. :)

I have a set of Memorex C60 tapes that I got from Amazon about a year ago that I have had 0 problems with using on my 99/4A. I didnt even have to play the game with the tone and volume controls - they just worked the first time I tried.

Edited by Casey

there are 2 exceptions to this rule

playground programs will load without 32k (so far, a lines demo, and a program that loads other programs.. really) these are super small to fit in the console ram

loading programs that work off cartridges that contain the program..

You are overlooking "SAMECOLORS" and "LIFE" which were written as quick demos of what could be possible. There is also a program that lets you run ROM only programs on a V2.2 console.

• Like 2

Hi. I have 7 cassettes that I created myself or are TI original tapes; some specifically for the Mini Memory Module. None of my tapes are over C60, several are C30 or C20. However, they are all very old, and I haven't used them in decades. Three additional tapes are C60, but they are titled as Catalogs, of what, I don't remember. If you want any (7 at least), and willing to pay shipping, I will include one Mini Memory Module (which will probably need battery replacement), and manual; also a couple of TI tape SW manuals. Most MMM SW that I have is on diskette, not cassette. It will be several days before I can respond, so if you're interested, be patient.

Bill

Hi. I have 7 cassettes that I created myself or are TI original tapes; some specifically for the Mini Memory Module. None of my tapes are over C60, several are C30 or C20. However, they are all very old, and I haven't used them in decades. Three additional tapes are C60, but they are titled as Catalogs, of what, I don't remember. If you want any (7 at least), and willing to pay shipping, I will include one Mini Memory Module (which will probably need battery replacement), and manual; also a couple of TI tape SW manuals. Most MMM SW that I have is on diskette, not cassette. It will be several days before I can respond, so if you're interested, be patient.

Bill

Wow, we're supremely touched by this generosity. How much would shipping be? We live in northern Indiana, 46580. Also, what's a Mini Memory Module?

Edited by xabin

Wow, we're supremely touched by this generosity. How much would shipping be? We live in northern Indiana, 46580. Also, what's a Mini Memory Module?

The Mini Memory is a cartridge for the TI that has a built in battery, can store small programs on itself and a bit of on board memory, and is needed for loading a select group of software written specifically for it.

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/software/s_carts/mini.html

I suggest you read up on the device on the above link. Battery will almost certainly need replaced before you can save anything to it, but it is not too hard to swap out.

Here is a PDF of the manual for it.

minimemory.pdf

Well, I'm actually rolling back my participation in TI/Geneve, due to physical restrictions (hands and fingers; I can no longer touch type, so SW development is slow, and the hands and fingers due more damage to firmware than good. I intend to eliminate all Geneve operations, so all that hardware will go on the block. I will stay with all TI-99/4A&P SW development and "Fun" for as long as I am able. Eventually, I will even do that on the MAME emulator, as I am more familiar with it, because I used MESS for both TI and Geneve SW development for many years just to save ware and tear on the real iron.

I won't know what it will cost to ship the cassettes and Mini Memory Module (allows you to load & run MMM AL programs without 32K expansion) , until they are packed up for shipment. Also allows you to run EA opt5 programs in 32K expansion using "Mini". You can also add AL enhancements to TI Basic, such as sprites, and others without XB (which I do a lot of, due to too many improved XB up-grades by different authors. I guess I became a Myarc supporter too early, as I had expanded my Myarc 128K card to 512K just in time for Myarc XB II Level IV (allowed partitioning of the 512K card to 128K OS, 360K RD & 24K PB/S. It was the fastest interpreted XB for the TI at the time; maybe still, as I've not heard any reports for CBASIC. I can also unload most of my TI modules. including a complete MBX system, as I also have both FR99 & FG99 modules.

Well, I'm actually rolling back my participation in TI/Geneve, due to physical restrictions (hands and fingers; I can no longer touch type, so SW development is slow, and the hands and fingers due more damage to firmware than good. I intend to eliminate all Geneve operations, so all that hardware will go on the block. I will stay with all TI-99/4A&P SW development and "Fun" for as long as I am able. Eventually, I will even do that on the MAME emulator, as I am more familiar with it, because I used MESS for both TI and Geneve SW development for many years just to save ware and tear on the real iron.

I won't know what it will cost to ship the cassettes and Mini Memory Module (allows you to load & run MMM AL programs without 32K expansion) , until they are packed up for shipment. Also allows you to run EA opt5 programs in 32K expansion using "Mini". You can also add AL enhancements to TI Basic, such as sprites, and others without XB (which I do a lot of, due to too many improved XB up-grades by different authors. I guess I became a Myarc supporter too early, as I had expanded my Myarc 128K card to 512K just in time for Myarc XB II Level IV (allowed partitioning of the 512K card to 128K OS, 360K RD & 24K PB/S. It was the fastest interpreted XB for the TI at the time; maybe still, as I've not heard any reports for CBASIC. I can also unload most of my TI modules. including a complete MBX system, as I also have both FR99 & FG99 modules.

Sorry to hear you're rolling back your participation. Hope you'll be alright Also, man, you guys are just killing us with kindness, here... Let's take this discussion to PM, so we don't clog up the thread with our negotiation. I don't think we knew of most of the modules you mentioned (certainly not the MBX system), so you'll have to walk us through what all you have that you're willing to part out.

Hmm. I was looking mainly at Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man's raw wav files. It looks like the former was plug-and-play like other TI cartridges, but I can't find any info on what the latter takes to play it. I played a little of both of them on emulator, and I'm actually impressed by how much better they are, compared to the Pac-Man game I had on the 2600.