IGNORED

Griel's Quest port (WIP)

Nop90

With background music the pause is more evident, but I agree that some visual feedback on the screen is better.

In xump I grayish the screen on pause, and I'm going to make use this trick for other games of mine.

That sounds pretty nice!

If possible, I could see dimming the game screen colors by 50% luminance, and having a "PAUSE" in full luminance overlay that.

That sounds pretty nice!

If possible, I could see dimming the game screen colors by 50% luminance, and having a "PAUSE" in full luminance overlay that.

If the game screen luminance is reduced 50% then there is no colours left in the palette for displaying anything in full luminance. All games use all colours available.

If the game screen luminance is reduced 50% then there is no colours left in the palette for displaying anything in full luminance. All games use all colours available.

Keep two colors full luminance in that state?

(Not really pushing for this, just exploring the idea... I have done 8-bit games, but not lynx, so not as familiar with the technical limits)

Just for exploring the matter, if I had to do such a thing, I will use an image of the size of the screen (160x102 px) with alternated black and transparent pixels (like a big chess board) with PAUSE written in white in the center.

To do this you need to have Black and White already set in the standard palette in a fixed position, but this two are very common tones and usually are availabe (if not this two, at least two very close to that).

The image can be placed in the cart filesistem and loaded only when needed. Having different palettes during the game can make this solution tricky but can be done (I use to have many palettes, others have a fixed palette that is easier to manage but reduces the variety of colors for different screens).

But this solution is too complicated for my taste. Since I decided to not use the grayed screen in Xump, I added it to Griels Quest. I like it's effect very much.

Soon I'll release an updated version with several fixes and improvements.

• Like 1