IGNORED

Hi-res scan of CCII board...

PacManPlus

Hi guys:

Does anyone have a scan of their CCII board (preferably hi-res if possible).

I really only need the area just under the SD card holder (with the plastic part removed if possible)…

I've decided to re-visit trying to fix my CCII so I have a multi-cart for my rec room, but the traces around that area are worn away. I want to try jumpering the traces to the chip that's directly underneath the SD card holder (just beneath the 'U7' label).

Thanks, guys

Bob

I can try and scan the CC2 that I got over the weekend as it actually has the MMC card shroud missing. Only the contact pins are still soldered to the PCB. Actually been trying to source a replacement and replacement MMC so I can make sure it works after trying to fix it before sending back to the client.

Anyway, I can take some up close pics of the board if it would help? Scanning the component side won't work well though due to the components making the PCB blurry on the focus from the scanner bed.

• Like 2

Thank you, -^Cro§Bow^-

...and thanks much, Mitch... Anything would help...

So, it looks like not all of the legs of this chip (35AB - NZ17) are connected to something. I can see where the left four lead to... but two of the right legs don't seem to go anywhere.

In the picture, I think I am correct in tracing the Dark Blue, Purple, Cyan, and Light Green traces. I have no idea where the Red trace goes... and I *think* the Yellow and Dark Green are correct. The Dark Green seems to also be connected to the bottom of R6.

The black traces don't go anywhere?

If anyone can tell, please let me know if I am correct, as the traces on my board are completely gone. I'm going to have to run jumper wires all over the place.

post-1787-0-88658300-1554257434_thumb.jpg

Edited by PacManPlus

I was able to meter out red to one of the black lines. The upper one I think, it is hard for me to see it. It seem to go through a via to the other side of the board (or maybe middle of the board) and come back.

The lower black one seems to go to the via directly below the chip.

Purple, blue, light green, cyan, dark green and yellow seem to be correct.

Mitch

Is it possible that this is a multi-layer board and there are traces in the center of the PCB that can't be seen easily? I tried to get light under the pins but wasn't able to do so and still take a good pic. But I know the pin on the far right is attached to the top of R6.

I never had seen a CC2 until this one was sent to me to see if I could get it working. Why was the MMC port essentially built onto the PCB instead of the usual MMC socket assembly? Did it not fit properly in the case that way? Just seems odd and a point of failure because this one was sent to me due to the fact that while the owner was trying to insert the MMC card, the shroud came loose from the PCB completely and hence, the card wouldn't remain in place to be read from. Only think I can think to do is get some 2-part epoxy and glue that shroud down onto the PCB? I'm assuming the shroud originally was just snapped in place on those holes through the PCB?

When I get home from work tonight, I will use some of my thin solder to help trace where these contact pins connect?

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Thank you so much...

Although I'm quite disappointed about how bad this one area is. (I had forgotten how bad it looked until I saw it again). I may just end up tossing it.

Maybe if I get a new chip, and try to run wires to it off-board (and then secure it with hot-glue or something) maybe I can get it to work. I'm not concerned about it fitting in a case, as I can 3D print a custom one now. (I'm still tweaking my design for the 'standard' case for Baby Pac-Man)...

Edited by PacManPlus

Using jumper wire is problematic due to the wires not fitting under the mmc socket. It may work better with copper trace repair tape.

If you can't get it working please don't throw it away. I am sure there is someone here with higher end soldering equipment that can repair it.

Mitch

I can try and scan the CC2 that I got over the weekend as it actually has the MMC card shroud missing. Only the contact pins are still soldered to the PCB. Actually been trying to source a replacement and replacement MMC so I can make sure it works after trying to fix it before sending back to the client.

Anyway, I can take some up close pics of the board if it would help? Scanning the component side won't work well though due to the components making the PCB blurry on the focus from the scanner bed.

Good thing you hadn't sent it back to me already AND that the shroud that's missing is on its way to you now. What a coinkydink! :D

Okay, I just traced out each pin off the MMC contact pins and found where they are connected to the next nearest point.

I'm not sure if the pins read left to right or what normally but I've labeled them as 1 - 7 from Left to Right.

Pin 3 and 6 are both tied to ground and I have as Blue in this pic. Pin 7 on the far right is tied to the top of R6

The rest I've color coded for you...

post-6-0-77299000-1554334275_thumb.jpg

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 1

Thank you - really appreciate this.

Purple = NFG

Yellow = NFG

Blue = NFG

Orange = Connection

Red = NFG

Lt. Blue = Connection

Ugh. Only two of the traces have connections. I need to run all new micro wires.

Question: In your picture, does the 'orange' leg of the chip connect to the bottom of the resistor directly to the right of it?

Thank you again.

Bob

Question: In your picture, does the 'orange' leg of the chip connect to the bottom of the resistor directly to the right of it?

Thank you again.

Bob

Yes the orange leg from pin 8 off of U7 is connected to the bottom of R6.

And your more welcome Bob!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to announce that PMP's CC2 lives again. It was a heck of a learning lesson for me as I've never soldered with something so small like this before, especially given I don't normally do SMD work since I haven't the right equipment for it normally. In case anyone is curious about how I did it, just shoot me a PM. I assure you that no magic or small animals were sacrificed or used for this.

• Like 9