IGNORED

Golf (Channel F)

atari2600land

I am making a Golf game for the Channel F. After 24 hours, I have a version 4. To hit the ball, make the club head touch the ball and press fire + the direction you want the ball to move. The ball and man can move in 8 different directions. Right now the ball doesn't stop, so once you hit the ball the game freezes except the ball keeps moving.

Let me know what you think so far. I've attached the latest binary file for use in MAME/MESS (or if there's another emulator for the Channel F I don't know about.)

post-9475-0-45455100-1554378884.png

golf4.bin

• Like 6

Major update.

I made the ball stop moving. This is because I added a power meter for the shot. The longer you hold down fire, the farther the shot will be. Then, when you're ready, with fire still pressed, move the joystick in the direction you want the ball to go, then depress fire. Then, once the ball stops, the guy is placed at the ball and you shoot again. If you get to the hole, the game doesn't know it yet, so you just keep shooting. Also, you can land in the water and nothing bad happens. I plan to change both those things when I get around to it.

golf5.bin

• Like 2

Golf was surprisingly common on the 2nd gen machines, I wonder why the Channel F never attempted it.

I wondered that too. The Channel F has the perfect colors for it: green for the grass, blue for water, white for ball, red for golf player. Which is why I began work on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Golf was surprisingly common on the 2nd gen machines, I wonder why the Channel F never attempted it.

It doesn't seem to exist any golf games for the Bally Astrocade or APF M-1000/MP-1000 either (or for that matter the RCA Studio II). UVL has a rather comprehensive list with 625 golf games starting with golf on the Odyssey^2 and Atari 2600 in 1978 and all the others following. So yes those were common but perhaps a little later than the prime market for the Channel F.

The1

It doesn't seem to exist any golf games for the Bally Astrocade or APF M-1000/MP-1000 either (or for that matter the RCA Studio II). UVL has a rather comprehensive list with 625 golf games starting with golf on the Odyssey^2 and Atari 2600 in 1978 and all the others following. So yes those were common but perhaps a little later than the prime market for the Channel F.

The 1292 programmable machine line had a golf game that from memory plays similar to 2600 golf or the videopac golf, can never remember which one it represents more like.

Also, trees! Best second gen golf game!

Edit: some grey sand dunes next perhaps :o

Edited by Mikebloke
  • Like 1

Changed the tree sprite so it looks more like a tree. I don't know, though. Every time I attempt a tree sprite, it looks either like a lollipop or an arrow. If you'd like to try drawing one for me, it's one color (red), and the size is 8 pixels by 8 pixels.

post-9475-0-73566500-1556147800.png

And I can't do gray sprites. I talked with e5frog about making the hole black (or gray) and he replied if I did that then the rest of the scanline would have to be white.

I used this tree in my Intellivision slalom game. You can have it if you like it.

...oo...
..oooo..
.oooooo.
..oooo..
.oooooo.
oooooooo
...oo...
...oo...

Here is another one:

...o....
..ooo...
..ooo...
.ooooo..
.ooooo..
ooooooo.
ooooooo.
...o....

Apparently both of those are spruces, not sure if you rather want broadleaf trees.

Edited by carlsson

So apparently the trees have to be 8 pixels by 13 pixels. I could make them 8 x 14, but then it would look weird if two of them were right next to each other vertically. My solution for having them be 1 pixel apart is that if the ball hits the tree one pixel above it, it will act like it hit the tree. That way you can't sneak the ball in through the hole here.

post-9475-0-47883400-1556197425.png

Let me know if you find any bugs in this version (Hole #4 keeps looping over and over again because I haven't put hole #5 in yet.)

golf17.bin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...