IGNORED

Stella 6 on the R77: the eagle is landing

DirtyHairy

I adjusted the "TV mode" setting using only the joystick for navigation, and it's a global setting so all games now display how I like which is great. I found setting "TV Mode" to "Composite" really emulates the look of how I remember it long ago. Considering it's playing on my 55" 4k TV, it really looks fantastic with the phosphor blur, scan lines and composite settings. For those who like a cleaner look, S-Video or RGB of course looks better, but something about that "Composite" setting really calls back to how it looked long ago.

• Like 3

The Blargg effects library is really well suited to the VCS and other consoles of the era. It seems to allow you to make it just as you remember it. Which will be different for all people because RoseColoredGlasses AND different settings for the millions of television sets/CRTs sold. And that's a power thing for bringing back the good times and firing off those nostalgia neurons. And it's great that these effects are being noticed more and more.

I currently have mine adjusted for good saturation, the fuzzies, and minimally visible scanlines. Minimal smearing too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 8:32 AM, Lord Helmet said:

Thanks for confirming! I thought I was crazy for a bit. It’s really not about a dpad but more about the second button for games like Scramble. I know you can play with a single button, but it’s better with two emoji41.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW- SMS pad does work with R77 as well. 

• Like 1

Any suggestions on how to get paddles going properly with a 2600-daptor II?

I've got it connected to this OTG cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LTHBCNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with the switch on the cable in the OTG position and both DIP switches on the 2600-daptor II in the up/off position.

No matter which USB port on the OTG spider I plug into, I can't even get a basic 2600 CX40 to work.

On 1/22/2020 at 1:17 PM, Rodney Hester said:

Any suggestions on how to get paddles going properly with a 2600-daptor II?

I've got it connected to this OTG cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LTHBCNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with the switch on the cable in the OTG position and both DIP switches on the 2600-daptor II in the up/off position.

No matter which USB port on the OTG spider I plug into, I can't even get a basic 2600 CX40 to work.

This may help.

Hey guys, looking for feedback for the handful of people this relates to before I decide to sell this thing.

When the R77 first came out I wasn't able to get audio working with my capture card. Gameplay shows up fine, but no audio seems to be sent through to my card (or whatever is, it's not recognizing the signal). I've since waited a couple of years and decided to bring it back out this weekend to try some different things. First I tried adding extra devices in the chain to maybe normalize the signal, like my Framemeister, and also tried a HDMI splitter just for grins. No dice. I also upgraded to the latest community build, and while it looks awesome, still no sound to the capture card.

Has anyone that captures the R77 managed to find a workaround to this problem?

The last thing I could try is using a HDMI audio extractor and splitting the audio out to my sound card's input, but with how I've got my recording/streaming setup that's somewhat inconvenient (especially when everything else via HDMI works fine).

If I can't get it working I think I am going to grab a USB adapter for my joysticks and just emulate on a PC when I want to stream it. The R77 seems like a nice little box though and would be the preferred way to do it.

Note: Audio works fine when going straight into a TV, but I need it to be recognized by the capture card.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

HDMI is always wonky, HDMI audio more so.

I know some people who have had success with Dr HDMI in fixing HDMI problems, but I haven't personally used them:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VJBY9NN/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VK2WSWN/

Thanks. Good to know, but at $80 I will have to pass. The Retron 77 is literally the only HDMI-based device that my capture card has had issues with.

It's possible that the older versions of Stella (3.x series that the device originally came with) are causing HDMI/audio capture issues, since it outputs at 31400Hz.  While this is the actual frequency from a real 2600, and PC's have never had a problem with it, it migh cause issues on HDMI and a standard TV, where it is technically a non-standard frequency.

The upgraded Stella (6.x series) now does audio resampling, so the output is at either 44100 or 48000 Hz, which is a much more standard frequency.  All TV's should be able to handle that.  So make sure to try the very latest beta release to see if it makes a difference.

11 hours ago, stephena said:

The upgraded Stella (6.x series) now does audio resampling, so the output is at either 44100 or 48000 Hz, which is a much more standard frequency.  All TV's should be able to handle that.  So make sure to try the very latest beta release to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks. I have the one at the very top of this thread--I assume that's the latest? Is there a place to access a more recent beta? I could give that a try before selling this thing off. Either way it's not a huge deal, I can use the latest Stella on PC when I want to stream the 2600 (I just ordered a CX-40 to USB adapter for that purpose). I just like the size and convenience of the 77. I can treat it like any other console in my stream setup.

The new update is excellent! For those who already have the previous version of Stella 6 installed, follow the "Replace the uImage" instructions at the bottom of this page to update.

On the Mac, for some reason it appends the uImage file with .dms. I downloaded it to my SD card (after backing-up the original) and removed the extension. Works great!

Now... if only the physical layouts of the buttons on the console itself weren't so wonky. ;) 

I must be doing something wrong here.  The overscan setting doesn't do anything on my 42" Sony LCD, and my paddles don't work at all -- spinning them doesn't move anything on the screen.  I tried with a few games, and had the same results in every game.

Short of rebuilding my SD card, is there some file I should remove to reset settings?

Well, I have rebuilt my SD chip with the full RC1 download, and the overscan setting now lets me see the whole image, but none of the overscan percentages do anything.  Basically it's either clipped image (image too large), or i have a huge black border around the entire image.  Definitely having the black border (seeing the entire image) is better than having the clipped image, but it would be nice if the percentages worked on my system.

Also, the paddles still do not work in RC1 for me. :(