IGNORED

What to use to cleanup motherboards and other PCBs?

bfollowell

I'm looking for suggestions for what to use to cleanup my old 800XL's motherboard. It isn't bad, just 30 years of storage bad. I'd like to clean and shine it up like when it came off the assembly line new. When I worked as a bench tech repairing old IBM ProPrinter power supplies during college back in the late eighties, the company kept a huge vat of liquid freon that we used to clean up boards and solder joints. Obviously, I don't have a vat of that just lying around, and it isn't very environmentally friendly anyway, so what do we use these days? Anything more than just some isopropyl alcohol?

Thanks.

• Like 2

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaning-products-for-electronics/cleaners/electronic-cleaners/aerosol-electronic-cleaners/safety-wash-ii-aerosol-4050a

My local electronics shop recommended this. Maybe you can find it or something similar. I find it works well to clean up grime and flux (and old flux) from PCB's. Works well when applied then scrubbed with a toothbrush.

Isopropyl alcohol is still good for the final cleanup, as the cleaner leaves some residue too.

I'm looking for suggestions for what to use to cleanup my old 800XL's motherboard. It isn't bad, just 30 years of storage bad. I'd like to clean and shine it up like when it came off the assembly line new. When I worked as a bench tech repairing old IBM ProPrinter power supplies during college back in the late eighties, the company kept a huge vat of liquid freon that we used to clean up boards and solder joints. Obviously, I don't have a vat of that just lying around, and it isn't very environmentally friendly anyway, so what do we use these days? Anything more than just some isopropyl alcohol?

Thanks.

I wash off any dirt in the sink, then let them soak, submerged, in Simple Green for about half an hour. I use an old toothbrush if needed to get off anything after the soaking, then I rinse with distilled water and place in the oven at 175F for 90 minutes, with the oven cracked open to allow moisture to escape. Works amazing!!!

Been doing it with monitor PCB's for a while as well, before I do cap kits or rebuilds.

I wash off any dirt in the sink, then let them soak, submerged, in Simple Green for about half an hour. I use an old toothbrush if needed to get off anything after the soaking, then I rinse with distilled water and place in the oven at 175F for 90 minutes, with the oven cracked open to allow moisture to escape. Works amazing!!!

Been doing it with monitor PCB's for a while as well, before I do cap kits or rebuilds.

Really?!

Just spray and wash them off in a sink of soapy water?

I'm assuming you don't completely dunk or submerge them.

I've heard of others putting keyboards in the dishwasher and all kinds of things that would seem to go against common rules/knowledge for electronic equipment, but I'm not certain I'd be that brave.

Really?!

Just spray and wash them off in a sink of soapy water?

I'm assuming you don't completely dunk or submerge them.

I've heard of others putting keyboards in the dishwasher and all kinds of things that would seem to go against common rules/knowledge for electronic equipment, but I'm not certain I'd be that brave.

Yes, I spray them off with water, and I submerge them in Simple Green for 30 minutes, then scrub if needed, rinse with distilled water and dry in the oven. It works wonders, the boards look brand new!! I can post some before and after pics if you like. I get gallon jugs of Simple Green.

• Like 1

I've had simple green take all the writing off of all sort of things... melt vinyl and other such fun. water and simple green are not good for contact metal and chip sockets... sure it looks great... and anytime you get stuff wet- heat and zero humidity air blowing on thing for a long time is a must....

fluorocarbons, isopropol, de-oxit, allll the way!

• Like 1

Yes, I spray them off with water, and I submerge them in Simple Green for 30 minutes, then scrub if needed, rinse with distilled water and dry in the oven. It works wonders, the boards look brand new!! I can post some before and after pics if you like. I get gallon jugs of Simple Green.

I´m thinking about what happens, if I use the oven for drying electronic parts and my wife came in... :-o

• Like 5

Lead contamination is not a joke in soils and water; I don’t want lead-soldered electronics anywhere near where I cook food, especially when you add in evaporating solvents from whatever you used to clean off the board and traces of plastic compounds from the discrete components all over the place ...

If I ever need to dry off a totally-soaked boards, I’d make due with canned air to blow off all the water I could get off, then set it aside on my workbench for 24 hours or so.

• Like 1

Yeah, Gavin, your results speak for themselves, obviously, but all the concerns and comments from the others have me convinced that your method isn't in my future. Besides, my board is working just fine and is in nowhere near the horrible condition of the boards you showed. A little isopropyl alcohol, a little elbow grease, and I should be fine.

Thanks guys.

90% isopropyl alcohol will clean up nearly anything without damaging the board, components or solder mask.

+1 on the IsoPro. Cheap as heck, too. CVS sells 91% for around $3 a bottle or so. They even have it in spray bottles. I spray it on and let it drip down at a corner. Lets the loose stuff slide right off and speeds up drying time. A little follow-up with a microfiber towel with some IsoPro on it will wipe down anything left over.

Yeah, Gavin, your results speak for themselves, obviously, but all the concerns and comments from the others have me convinced that your method isn't in my future. Besides, my board is working just fine and is in nowhere near the horrible condition of the boards you showed. A little isopropyl alcohol, a little elbow grease, and I should be fine.

Thanks guys.

Never had a problem, and it cleans them completely. Of course do it your way, I was just showing a method that is bullet proof.