IGNORED

Star Raiders ATR and 130XE not compatible?

6BQ5

I just now tried running a Star Raiders ATR file from the Pigwa FTP site on my 130XE through an APE and a SIO2PC-USB link. After a few boot toots I get stuck on a black screen. Is it just me or is there a compatibility issue?

Thanks! :)

Got no clue about the one on Pigwa, but I tried the commonly available k-file ATR conversion with an XE OS. The ATR loaded up just fine. I played through an entire (Novice difficulty) game just to be sure but it worked fine.

Star Raiders (1979)(Atari)k-file.atr

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 1

Wowza! Thanks!

Is there a particular place where other "commonly available" conversions are located?

The homesoft download is fantastic, be sure to do the "download all" link at the top right.....

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/?idx=6

Great collection, and all work with the 130xe, if not, it'll probably be an older title that needs basic disabled via the option key.

Just an FYI, you have to crawl the directories a bit, but the “Pool Disks” (CD ROM images), Holmes CD Collection and the Homesoft collection are all on Pigwa, though it does take some work to get them all downloaded.

In addition, Archive dot Org has the TOSEC collection (which can be downloaded as a single ZIP). I know for a fact that the k-file ATR I posted above is located in the Holmes CD collection as well as the TOSEC. I believe it’s also on the Pool Disks CDs as well.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2019 at 11:02 PM, griff3125 said:

The homesoft download is fantastic, be sure to do the "download all" link at the top right.....

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/?idx=6

Great collection, and all work with the 130xe, if not, it'll probably be an older title that needs basic disabled via the option key.

The file extension on these files is XEX... How are you supposed to use them?

1 hour ago, Calab said:

The file extension on these files is XEX... How are you supposed to use them?

xex files are just executable files. It's a modern and fairly recent extension. I'm not sure I've ever read or heard where it came from. You can use just about any file loader or menu disk you want, or just do a binary load in the DOS of your choice.

2 hours ago, bfollowell said:

xex files are just executable files. It's a modern and fairly recent extension. I'm not sure I've ever read or heard where it came from. You can use just about any file loader or menu disk you want, or just do a binary load in the DOS of your choice.

Makes sense... but I still don't understand how you would move the XEX file onto the Atari. Is there a utility than can add XEX files into an ATR disk image?

4 hours ago, Calab said:

Makes sense... but I still don't understand how you would move the XEX file onto the Atari. Is there a utility than can add XEX files into an ATR disk image?

Not sure if the APE software can do it but iirc both Altirra and Atari800MacX allow to build and manipulate floppy images. Maybe Onnivore, too, and there are some command line tools as well, I think they are referenced in one of the sticky threads. 

http://a8.fandal.cz has a huge games library as well. 

12 hours ago, Calab said:

Many of the SIO disk emulator devices let you load xex files, so you don't necessarily need to put them in an atr image. Still, if you want to, many of those same devices will let you load files and they'll appear as a disk image. Then you could just copy it over to whatever atr image you had loaded on another "drive". Likewise, most decent emulators have a lot of the same capabilities built-in.

If I want to put anything on a .ATR, I mount the .ATR under Altirra as D1: 

I also have a desktop folder I put any files I want to copy .XEX for example.

In Altirra there's an option to mount a folder as a DOS 2.0 drive, mount this as D2:

Boot Altirra, then simply copy the files you want from D2: to D1:

You can also use the Disk Explorer in Altirra, under "Tools->Disk Explorer"

Browse to the .ATR you want the file(s) on and as long as the image opens cleanly

simply drag and drop the files you want into the image window.

Sometime though when it opens an image it says there's something wrong and opens it read only,

not sure why, the images seem ok when attached to a drive letter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2020 at 7:37 PM, Calab said:

DIR2ATR by Hias will create an ATR containing the contents of a specified directory.

https://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/

RespeQT can also be used to move files to/from a mounted ATR.

Edited by BillC