IGNORED

what sio2pc solution allows saving to tape?

Do any? Don't the existing utilities just rely on you generating the Wav yourself then feeding it as input to be converted to Cas?

Doing it on the fly mightn't be so practical since multiple passes over the data might be needed to generate error-free output - though that said an IRG of .25 seconds gives plenty of time for that.

• Like 1

There seems to be one: https://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/usbintro.html

As expected, only USB version of the device is capable of doing that. That's because plain RS232 to USB converter is not enough.

The question is if it is worthwile. Whatever data can be savde through the C: CIO device, can be saved to a virtual device and then converted to .CAS easily.

Edited by baktra

Nice, but I think expensive compared to the other USB solutions.

I've still got legacy RS232 but likely the next main machine I build won't.

Indeed. But the device is much more than just RS232 to USB convertor. It must be, if its ambition is to emulate all SIO signals, including CLK, INTERRUPT, PROCEED etc. This includes full (not just rudimentary) tape emulation where one needs direct control over the DATA IN and DATA OUT logical values, impossible to get with UART and multi-tasking operating system.

As I pointed out before, it is cheap to save to some emulated H: device (PC folder exposed as a virtual disk), and then run xex2cas -plain file.dat file.cas.

But that would barely work with anything else than the plain C: CIO device.

Edited by baktra