IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

Oh, I can't accept any credit for 1942... I haven't really done any work on the project as I've only just started looking at the project this weekend.  All credit should go to @homerhomer , @Al_Nafuur and @Pat Brady as they've done a tremendous job on it so far.

Ah right! Well done to your all!

7 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

Oh, I can't accept any credit for 1942... I haven't really done any work on the project as I've only just started looking at the project this weekend.  All credit should go to @homerhomer , @Al_Nafuur and @Pat Brady as they've done a tremendous job on it so far.

I tried reinstalling the extension (that didn't work) and I just tried using the Developer Tools to look at the console log, but that didn't really tell me much more than what is shown in the output window.

I just tried ChaoticGrill (a big DASM project) and that successfully built and launched without issue.  

1942 is the first bBasic project I've looked at working on/building (which I did succeed with building on the Win7 machine)... so I'm not really certain of what the build process is and where to look for issues.

I wonder if something might be missing as ChaoticGrill did compile?  The compile log doesn't give us much info either to help point at something that might be missing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, splendidnut said:

I just tried ChaoticGrill (a big DASM project) and that successfully built and launched without issue.  

1942 is the first bBasic project I've looked at working on/building (which I did succeed with building on the Win7 machine)... so I'm not really certain of what the build process is and where to look for issues.

I'll see if I can help with the troubleshooting. Good that DASM on its own is working. The DASM error is odd, though. Does your working directory for the project contain any spaces or odd characters? (in theory it shouldn't matter, but just for troubleshooting purposes). Also, does the working directory contain any files apart from the files for this project?

If you compile a simple bB program in its own directory, does that work? I'm attaching a test one that uses the Multisprite kernel in case that helps with the troubleshooting.

The tools should be located in ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.4/out/bin/compilers/bB on your Mac. If you compile using the 2600basic.sh script in the directory, do you get the same results?

test.bas

• Like 3

12 hours ago, splendidnut said:

I'm working on 1942-bB and just switched from my Win7 pc to my Intel Mac with Catalina 10.15.7... (running AtariDevStudio 0.7.4 on both)... and can't seem to get bBasic to compile:

Reveal hidden contents
Verifying compiler files exist...
Verifying file permissions...
Found dasm version: DASM 2.20.13
Starting build of 1942 HSC.bas

batari Basic v1.5 (c)2020
User-defined banksw.asm found in the current directory
2600 Basic compilation complete.
User-defined multisprite_kernel.asm found in current directory
User-defined score_graphics.asm found in current directory
User-defined banksw.asm found in current directory
User-defined 2600basicfooter.asm found in current directory
DASM 2.20.13
Copyright (c) 1988-2020 by the DASM team.
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later (see file LICENSE).
DASM is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Usage: dasm sourcefile [options]

-f# output format 1-3 (default 1)
-oname output file name (else a.out)
-lname list file name (else none generated)
-Lname list file, containing all passes
-sname symbol dump file name (else none generated)
-v# verboseness 0-4 (default 0)
-d debug mode (for developers)
-Dsymbol define symbol, set to 0
-Dsymbol=expression define symbol, set to expression
-Msymbol=expression define symbol using EQM (same as -D)
-Idir search directory for INCLUDE and INCBIN
-p# maximum number of passes
-P# maximum number of passes, with fewer checks
-T# symbol table sorting (default 0 = alphabetical, 1 = address/value)
-E# error format (default 0 = MS, 1 = Dillon, 2 = GNU)
-S strict syntax checking

Fatal assembly error: Check command-line format.

Build complete.

Exit code: 1
Cleaning up files generated during compilation...

Anyone got any ideas on what the issue could be?

I am not sure if it is the same problem here, but @Pat Brady had issues to build the latest version on his MacOS too.

Compiling throwed an error:

Illegal instruction: 4

which seemed to be thrown by the bbasic compiler (not the preprocessor or assembler).

His solution was:

On 5/30/2022 at 4:47 AM, Pat Brady said:

The bBasic compiler uses static buffers all over the place with no bounds checking, and apparently "Illegal instruction: 4" is macos's (or more accurately: clang's) way of reporting a buffer overflow.

The relevant buffer is 50 bytes long and the offending tokens are _player0_explosion_pointerlo_table[animation_state] and _player0_explosion_pointerhi_table[animation_state]. I shortened those label names and it built fine.

It seems that he hasn't pushed his fix to the Github repository yet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Karl G said:

Does your working directory for the project contain any spaces or odd characters?

Ugh... lol... It's the space in "1942 HSC.bas" that's killing things.  I renamed the file and things are working now.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

• Like 4

A new release (v0.7.5) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated Stella to v6.7.0 (Windows, Linux [Deb], macOS). Note: Linux 32-bit is currently v6.2
  • Fixed issue with A7800 Warm and Cool definitions being switched (both NTSC and PAL)

This version has actually published already so enjoy the updated build next time you start! Well done to the Stella team for a great product.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A new release (v0.7.7) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated batari Basic to v1.6 (Windows, Linux, macOS)

Note: as noted by Mike - keep a watch out for your Antivirus grabbing the compilation files (files are safe but the nature of the contents can trigger false positives). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Thanks for keeping the ADS extension up to date Matt despite your busy IRL schedule. Always appreciated ?

Pleasure mate - only wish I had the time to do some upgrades. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mksmith said:

Pleasure mate - only wish I had the time to do some upgrades. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

Im still yet to tinker with the last few updates of ADS, 7800Basic and bB. Excited to play around when getting the chance again. So im no stranger to IRL responsibilities taking over either. Still nice to know development is always in the works for when i return.

• Like 3

A new release (v0.7.8) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated batari Basic to v1.7 (Windows, Linux, macOS)

Note: as noted by Mike - keep a watch out for your Antivirus grabbing the compilation files (files are safe but the nature of the contents can trigger false positives). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@mksmith - thanks for all of your work putting out releases in a timely manner to track compiler and emulator releases! Unfortunately the last two releases at least broke 7800basic builds on Mac, and presumably Linux as well:

/bin/sh: /Users/kdgarris/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.8/out/bin/compilers/7800basic/7800basic.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Exit code: 126

This error is due to DOS/Windows newlines being present in that file (as evidenced by the ^M above). I was able to fix it simply enough with a dos2unix command since I have that utility on my system, but this was not a problem previously. Is there any change in the way the extension is packaged or extracted now compared to previous releases?

Also, I did not encounter the same issue when compiling bB games, and that compile script is in the correct format.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Karl G said:

@mksmith - thanks for all of your work putting out releases in a timely manner to track compiler and emulator releases! Unfortunately the last two releases at least broke 7800basic builds on Mac, and presumably Linux as well:

/bin/sh: /Users/kdgarris/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.8/out/bin/compilers/7800basic/7800basic.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Exit code: 126

This error is due to DOS/Windows newlines being present in that file (as evidenced by the ^M above). I was able to fix it simply enough with a dos2unix command since I have that utility on my system, but this was not a problem previously. Is there any change in the way the extension is packaged or extracted now compared to previous releases?

Also, I did not encounter the same issue when compiling bB games, and that compile script is in the correct format.

Ah thanks Karl! I'll crack out my Ubuntu laptop and have a look. No changes at my end apart from moving computers but we'll get to the bottom of it no doubt ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just checked my local repo, and downloaded the v0.19 OSX release. The 7800basic.sh in both of those sources have only the Unix newlines ($0A), not DOS return+newline pairs ($0D+$0A)...

00000000  23 21 2F 62 69 6E 2F 73 68 0A 0A 23 20 64 6F 20 #!/bin/sh..# do
00000010  73 6F 6D 65 20 71 75 69 63 6B 20 73 61 6E 69 74 some quick sanit
00000020  79 20 63 68 65 63 6B 69 6E 67 2E 2E 2E 0A 0A 69 y checking.....i
[...]

Perhaps some windows process on your end did a "helpful" line-ending conversion?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

I just checked my local repo, and downloaded the v0.19 OSX release. The 7800basic.sh in both of those sources have only the Unix newlines ($0A), not DOS return+newline pairs ($0D+$0A)...

00000000  23 21 2F 62 69 6E 2F 73 68 0A 0A 23 20 64 6F 20 #!/bin/sh..# do
00000010  73 6F 6D 65 20 71 75 69 63 6B 20 73 61 6E 69 74 some quick sanit
00000020  79 20 63 68 65 63 6B 69 6E 67 2E 2E 2E 0A 0A 69 y checking.....i
[...]

Perhaps some windows process on your end did a "helpful" line-ending conversion?

Hmm - normally I just copy it in but if I did a quick test I maybe 'corrupted' it in some way. Will make sure I'm a bit more careful going forward if that's the case.  Thanks for taking a quick look!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a decade I returned to code for VCS.

I switched from Visual batariBasic to Atari Dev Studio and it works, thank you!

I would like to design sprites with this IDE. Would it be possible to add multicolor and single line resolution sprites to editor?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Philsan said:

After a decade I returned to code for VCS.

I switched from Visual batariBasic to Atari Dev Studio and it works, thank you!

I would like to design sprites with this IDE. Would it be possible to add multicolor and single line resolution sprites to editor?

Sprite and Playfield editing is my last reason for sticking with VisualbB.  I can always use the VisualbB score font, music and title screen editor in its own WINE bottle.  Maybe we could suggest some alternative bB sprite/playfield editors for AtariDevStudio to integrate/launch.  Probably too much for mksmith to make from scratch.

UPDATE:  I know it sounds weird to not mention alternative sprite/playfield editors myself but I've grown quite attached to VisualbBs built in editors and never needed to look elsewhere.  But, the need is much stronger as it gets harder and harder to run VisualbB and AtariDevStudio gets better and better.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 10:22 PM, Gemintronic said:

Sprite and Playfield editing is my last reason for sticking with VisualbB.  I can always use the VisualbB score font, music and title screen editor in its own WINE bottle.  Maybe we could suggest some alternative bB sprite/playfield editors for AtariDevStudio to integrate/launch.  Probably too much for mksmith to make from scratch.

UPDATE:  I know it sounds weird to not mention alternative sprite/playfield editors myself but I've grown quite attached to VisualbBs built in editors and never needed to look elsewhere.  But, the need is much stronger as it gets harder and harder to run VisualbB and AtariDevStudio gets better and better.

Hi @Gemintronic!

Thanks for checking out ADS! There are some great tools by Alienbill here: https://alienbill.com/2600/ which I should include some links to directly.  Also the included sprite editor could be updated to do the multi-line color for the 2600 images which I had planned to do but hadn't got round to as yet (along with a full redesign of that editor). 

• Thanks 1