IGNORED

MICRONOPOLY for the EACA EG2000 Colour Genie

siccoyote

Was looking through my collection of tapes and found this oddity, I think I grabbed it simply because I had no idea what a Colour Genie was back in the mid 90s. I still don't have one.

Looked online but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere just a review.

Couldn't find a dedicated Colour Genie forum. Was wondering if I recorded a wav file of this and uploaded it would that be enough for someone to create a tape file out of it? Just want to share it in the interest of preservation.

7hfIozCl.jpg

Some more info:

http://www.everygamegoing.com/egg/landingItem/index/machine_type_group_default_folder/colour_genie/publisher_folder/jdtronics/format_folder/tapes/item_title/Micronopoly

Edited by siccoyote
  • Like 1

It seems that the emulator Genieous can read and write to WAV files so possibly you could play it yourself that way. It also supports CAS files which are mostly the same format as those for the TRS-80/VideoGenie 1, though I haven't tried if you can load a WAV and then CSAVE as CAS from inside the emulator or need a separate tool.

• Like 1

It seems that the emulator Genieous can read and write to WAV files so possibly you could play it yourself that way. It also supports CAS files which are mostly the same format as those for the TRS-80/VideoGenie 1, though I haven't tried if you can load a WAV and then CSAVE as CAS from inside the emulator or need a separate tool.

I just had a go with the emulator because couldn't get it to react at all, not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

https://mega.nz/#!U9lmVA5C!CNfTQnwa-3hiGVBAOQvXATzcRNc7OUywsy0j60YRF98

and this is a higher quality version and resulting cas.

https://mega.nz/#!ho0UGSCI!VAp_gqaV8mbHtXKSYwp32GyD5vLsjyypzoLd6ziT4iE

Here's a link to the wavs and .cas files I made from them if anyone else wants to have a look.

Edit: Tried all 3 in the emulator and when it would react which seems a random, it was coming up with various errors.

Edited by siccoyote

Can't seem, to edit my previous post so managed to try and run all my rips on the emulator, before it stopped accepting any programs again, got these errors.

Side 1: UL Error in 32638
Side 2: SN Error in 65439
side2h: SN Error in 16353

Guess I'll try again at a higher rate. I've made another .cas file but can't get the emulator to work, sometimes it autoloads programs sometimes it doesn't

Edited by siccoyote

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the tape may just be too deteriorated to recover after 30+ years in storage in an unknown environment.

Well I'm still working on this making my own custom converter program, after a bunch of attempts it came through very clean sounding.

Also been chatting with the guy who made the game back in the 80s.

• 10 months later...
On 4/23/2019 at 6:45 PM, siccoyote said:

Can't seem, to edit my previous post so managed to try and run all my rips on the emulator, before it stopped accepting any programs again, got these errors.

Side 1: UL Error in 32638
Side 2: SN Error in 65439
side2h: SN Error in 16353

Guess I'll try again at a higher rate. I've made another .cas file but can't get the emulator to work, sometimes it autoloads programs sometimes it doesn't

Looks to my like you are trying to load a system file as a basic file?

I know that with the original Genie you used Cload to load basic programmes and something like Sys or something similar to load software written in assembly language? I could be wrong about that. it was 40 years ago.

And if you tried to load the assembly language files using cload and then try to run it you would get those sorts off error messages for really high line numbers.

I also had the Colour Genie but I just can't remember if it was the same deal with that.

Jason

• 11 months later...

Hi,

did you get anywhere with this? 
my name is Justin. I am the J in JD tropics and I am proud to say that it was mw who wrote Micronopoly nearly 40 years ago!

somebody has successfully got this to work on an emulator. Was that any of you? 
if not, I will happily introduce everybody! 
I have tapes of other games we wrote back then. 

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I'm the MAME developer that wrote the current Colour Genie emulation for it. Is MICRONOPOLY available anywhere? Unfortunately the Mega links are dead.

The following titles from JD Tronics are currently referenced in MAME:

• The Word 1.2
  • Backgammon
  • Puckman

It would be great to get any missing titles.

Unfortunatly JDTronics' Puckman seems completely lost.

It works fine in MAME (slightly too fast though). Here's a screenshot:

0016.png

• 3 weeks later...

I've been away from this site for a while just got Justin's email here's a new Megalink
https://mega.nz/file/Ix1GBLTK#bBuc2moWYSCxoOFH5GXAwGfnfOVUIQCcjKbZew6WGx0

Using it with the Genieous Emulator the latest version v1.0.4 doesn't seem to work but v1.0.3 does.
Once you have extracted it and run it , just autostart the first cas file, then when it says about starting the tape do Attach CAS for the 2nd cas and it should just work. Then press F1 to run.
Edited by siccoyote