IGNORED

Sony says its new PlayStation is more than a year away

I'm guessing 2022. That way they have tons of development time and can get a couple extra miles out of the PS4. Which I think they should be doing anyhow. Come 2022 I would be a lot more inclined to buy another machine than 2020. If the PS5 came out next year as some speculated I simply would not have been buying it. With some reports saying it's gonna be $100 more than the PS4 was it also gives me time to put a little more away to pay for the damn thing if I do get one at or around launch.

• Like 1

What would you want in a new console? Raytracing, lots of lines of resolution, more RAM? What would "next generation" even look like at this point? Seems to me that "more of the same" has been the mode since the PS2. Perhaps I'm lacking in imagination or maybe I've just seen too many hardware transitions.

• Like 5

All this means is they end their year about the same time Nintendo does, the following year after in Spring. Odds are they'll be shooting to get all those holiday sales in with a late 3rd or 4th quarter 2020 release. The current 1/2 generation upgrades they're rocking now are doing alright and they got some time on the clock, plus with all the knowns coming there isn't a slowdown yet we've seen really that's notable so there's plenty to come out yet they don't want to dilute sales of either. I would be very surprised if new console talk hit at all until the next business year around April/May of next year as to not damage Christmas (etc) sales or even some tax check refund hype buyers too.

The problem is you go between the PS3 and PS4 or Pro there really isn't that huge of a leap as you got with SD to HD or rough polygons to prettier with PS1 to PS2 either. What more could they really do right now that wouldn't be another lame marginal upgrade that wouldn't yet again inspire companies to do watered down new system releases so they can't also parrot one to the big chunk of hardware still on the market? Does Sony really want that mess happening again as it wasn't helping them move PS4s one bit. Sony will jump once MS does as they won't let them get ahead again like the mess with the 360 despite all its horrible design flaws and failures that lead it had was damaging.

I think it will come late 2020.

Why else would Mark Cerney be talking to the press about the details of the PS5 if it is still a few years out? That would give the competition a chance to catch up and surpass it.

I think this is a sign that it's getting ready to be revealed. The AMD hardware that powers it is coming later this year (Navi and 3000-series Ryzen), so it will likely be revealed

later this year or early next, and go on sale in time for the holidays.

It's only real addition would likely be 4k out the box support, and possibly 8k support. I nice chunk of ram would be nice, but if they make it 16 gig, make it able to read that, unlike the current system that has 8 gigs, but only reads 5 for games.

Honestly, I'm more interested in behind the scenes stuff now than graphics, which haven't really changed much in several generations now. You know, stuff like more interactive environments, better ai, and able to track larger worlds.

This lines up with other leaks and what Mark Cerny said about the system. The biggest new thing is the Ray Tracing, and 24Gb RAM.

..but what's it going to cost? I just upgraded my PC to a lesser Ryzen, with 16Gb Ram + SSD and paid $400, that doesn't include a new GPU or anything else. I know

Sony will get volume discounts, but still??

• Like 1

The pointless war of words between Sony and MS has already begun, MS claiming the PS5 announcement was everything they had hoped for and the Next Generation Xbox would be more powerful than the PS5 (well that did nothing for the Classic Xbox Vs the PS2, MS currently have the most powerful console hardware out there as it is..and PC hardware will be more powerful than both, when they are released) So it looks like we are in for yet another arms race generation of hardware.

The Ray Tracing aspect, only aware of Quake II being redone using it, results in better,more realistic lighting effects?.

But that was a selling point of this generation of hardware was it not?

All those Unreal Engine demos at start of XB1 and PS5 life?

Does this mean publishers will start pumping out a new generation of remasters of old games,this time using Ray Casting engines?

Or is that too cynical an approach?

The pointless war of words between Sony and MS has already begun, MS claiming the PS5 announcement was everything they had hoped for and the Next Generation Xbox would be more powerful than the PS5 (well that did nothing for the Classic Xbox Vs the PS2, MS currently have the most powerful console hardware out there as it is..and PC hardware will be more powerful than both, when they are released) So it looks like we are in for yet another arms race generation of hardware.

The Ray Tracing aspect, only aware of Quake II being redone using it, results in better,more realistic lighting effects?.

There was definitely a noticeable step up in lighting this generation. Sounds like Ray Tracing will take it even further.

This lines up with other leaks and what Mark Cerny said about the system. The biggest new thing is the Ray Tracing, and 24Gb RAM...but what's it going to cost? I just upgraded my PC to a lesser Ryzen, with 16Gb Ram + SSD and paid $400, that doesn't include a new GPU or anything else. I knowSony will get volume discounts, but still??

I can't see Sony wanting to return to the Playstation 3 era, where they lost money per machine sold until the hardware had undergone numerous revisions and do wonder where costs are going to be reduced.

It was only a minor outlay admittedly, but it did nark me a little i had to buy those dual stick cap protectors after all the reports of the rubber wearing away on the thumbsticks.

PS4 pads were not cheap, gimmick packed as they were..i don't own a PS Camera so the light being there so camera could track pad was wasted, never really found any game really benifited from the speaker in the pad etc.

They all pushed up price of the controller.

I can't see Sony wanting to return to the Playstation 3 era, where they lost money per machine sold until the hardware had undergone numerous revisions and do wonder where costs are going to be reduced.

It was only a minor outlay admittedly, but it did nark me a little i had to buy those dual stick cap protectors after all the reports of the rubber wearing away on the thumbsticks.

PS4 pads were not cheap, gimmick packed as they were..i don't own a PS Camera so the light being there so camera could track pad was wasted, never really found any game really benifited from the speaker in the pad etc.

They all pushed up price of the controller.

I think the PS3 losses were due to the bluray drive? It was new tech then, and very expensive, but Sony wanted to push it and make it standard. But they were losing something like $300 per unit in the process

Yet if you think about it, as insane as it was, it really opened the door when games weren't just sloppy ports to really shine, and having that level of movie capability against what a stand alone blu ray player at the time was a steal. They wanted to make a statement to make up for lost time to the buggy flawed rushed out 360 with its HD-DVD format. In the end I think we can clearly say they did quite well after taking a horrible loss on that up front hit of theirs. PS3 was(is) a fantastic system and look how long it got conversions from PS4 that stood up well enough to get comments online of like 'why bother buying a ps4' for a good year or two.

I think they learned you can push a format and get away with it to a point, but if you're not pushing anything special as they did both on PS2 and PS3, you better cover yourself and make sure the loss is minimal or not at all, especially when you're basically doing me-too PC clones like this go around with your enemy/competitor. If they're saying a year out, believe it. RIght now would be rushing things, this needs to be the big send off year for this generations v1 and v1.5 hardware releases for Christmas, something sweet, then let the news trickle in 2020 for a late/later year inevitable update.

Does this mean publishers will start pumping out a new generation of remasters of old games,this time using Ray Casting engines?

Or is that too cynical an approach?

There are some tripple A titles using Ray Tracing right now. Metro Exodus and Battlefield being two of the biggest. The newest Tombraider supports it as well. Its pretty amazing the differnce this makes. Especially with reflections.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, 2020 for sure. Otherwise the tech's gonna be too late, and there's no reason for them to be talking about it now. They need to get a new console out to keep consumers interested. There is a large demographic of aging gamers willing to spend big bucks on new consoles.