IGNORED

DOS for Happy 1050 Drives

joeatari

SpartaDOS X, because it's built into the Ultimate 1MB boards in all my regular-use A8 computers.

It is built-in in almost every new A8 hardware. But that does not help, I use the hardware, but not SDX.

My favourite is Turbo-DOS XL/XE by Reitershan, it is limited to max. 360k - but the Happy 1050 is limited to 180k anyways. Turbo-DOS works on stock 64k machines and does not use RAM under the OS (so e.g. TB XL works fine under Turbo-DOS).

Any DOS that supports ICD US Doubler will work at full speed with the Happy 1050. Only precation is to use the happy utility disk to engage the 'US Doubler Emulation' function to enable fast writes, otherwise writes in single density will corrupt the 3rd byte of any sector written. SpartaDOS X accounts for this when 'indus.sys' is used in your config.sys

DOS's with native Ultraspeed support:

Disk based SpartaDOS 1.1,2.3,3.2f/g/z etc, RealDOS

There is a modified DOS 2.0S on side B of the happy utility disks that engages ultraspeed.

Pretty sure there's variations of MyDOS, TOP-DOS, DOS 2.5, etc that engage ultraspeed handlers.

The smallest change would be replacing the built-in OS with one which includes HiaS's highspeed SIO patch in ROM, so that all software runs at ultraspeed right off the bat, and automatically engages fast writes on happy drives...

ie... take the rom in this post, burn it to a 27C128 EPROM, and plug it in your OS ROM socket:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206880-130xe-reverse-option-key-for-basic/?p=3944284

After that, you can consider enhancing the setup with a switchable OS ROM adapter, or finally the U1MB...

Turbodos is working great for me. I started this project because I wanted to have one system with real 1050 drives and no modern extras, but I did want the high speed sio for the drives. Everything is matched from the 800XL days, i.e. two 1050 drives, a 1010 cassette and a 1020 printer. The 800XL was the first Atari I ever used. It all looks very cool together. Very nostalgic for me.

I have done the same thing with my 130XE. Two XF551 drives with Hyper+XF and an XMM801 printer, so everything matches, but the XE has Ultimate 1MB, VBXE, Stereo Pokey and P Covox upgrades.

It is very tempting to install an Ultimate 1 MB in the 800XL :) Thanks for all the help!