IGNORED

8th gen core i3 ok for emulation?

Keatah

Anyone care to comment if an i3 would be sufficient for emulation up to PS1 and the latest mame, while using shaders and driving a full-HD monitor? I'm not too familiar with building lower-end emulation rigs, smallest I've recently done was i5. I do know the first i3's weren't the best.

This is for a budget build with a strict size requirement.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/135936/intel-core-i3-8109u-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

https://www.amazon.com/NUC8i7BEH-Quad-Core-i7-8559U-Windows-Bluetooth/dp/B07M62K185

Edited by Keatah

I used for years an i5 7th gen with an HD 3000 GPU on it that used shared memory obviously in that case with sandybridge and I could run all sorts of stuff from the 16, 32, and 64bit(N64) level just fine. Dolphin for Wii/GC would be overkill. I could run even like Civ5 with medium settings on that thing on Steam.

• 2 weeks later...

I think even rasp pi 3 will handle most ps1, and every MAME title I've thrown at it. There might be some that it won't do, and there may be some games that aren't going to run great with emulators available, but for a massive butt-load of games it's more than enough, and the budget part is there.

Ya it would be fine if your going to use shaders you might want to consider throwing a low end nvidia or amd card in the mix

Intel integrated graphics are leaps and bounds what they were but are still not that awesome

I have a dual core atom with an onboard geforce 210 it will run n64 at 720p (maybe 1080 the tv is only 720 and I haven't tried another tv)

Edited by Osgeld