IGNORED

Calendar program?

joeatari

Hmmm, depends on what you want to do with it...?!?

Think I have a disk or ATR image with several calendars in Basic and most of them do have the Y2K bug (or simply do not accept years starting with something else than 19, so they are limited to 1900-1999). But since I never use calendars with my A8, I am quite sure I have not tested all of them. Have to search for that disk/image...

Today I copied a boring tape (tape 1 of 6) named "Silica Shop 100 User Club Programs". The first program on tape 1 was named "Days and Dates" and has some calendar functions. One can calculate the days from date x (day/month/year) to date y (date/month/year) or simply display the days of a certain month and a third function I do not remember atm. So I displayed May 2019 and all days were shown correctly, e.g. May 18th was shown correctly as saturday...

Afair, Atari's "Timewise" does have the Y2k bug and/or does not work with dates beyond 1999 at all...?!?

P.S.: What's a PIM ?

Anyone know of an A8 calendar program or PIM that works past Y2K? Has anyone written something new?

Thanks!

Have a look at the Inverse Atascii productivity software podcast. I think Wade reviewed a calendar app that worked past Y2K. There's usually one app per episode so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Hmmm,

looks like I have deleted the image with a collection of several (Atari Basic) calendars, since most (all?) of them did not work beyond 1999 anyways... (and so I thought they do not make much sense nowadays).

Kept only one calendar, which is a ML-file, see attachment here. The calendar starts in 2008 and can easily be set to current month and year. The big cursor can be moved with +-*= on the Atari (or equivalent on the emulator). Move the sursor onto the calendar and then press e.g. () to change the month and <> to change the year. Move the cursor onto the options at the bottom of the screen and press RETURN to open some pull-down menus with additional options. You can costumize several things, e.g. change the colours and other things and of course you can make some entries into the calendar. But afaik, the calendar does not support the (SDX) realtime-clock, so it will lose the current date, whenever you switch off your Atari...

(Maybe it would be a nice add-on for Flashjazzcat's GUI to support a realtime-clock and a calendar ?)

Attached you will also find a very old Basic program named "Days & Dates" which I took from the Silica shop 100 user club programs tapes (a collection of 6 tapes). Think the collection was made around 1984-1986, but the collected programs are even older (several from 1981 and 1982). This program can show a very simple calendar (month and year, tested with May 2019) and a few other things, but nothing that would be useful to me (I do not use calendars on the A8 anyways). You could e.g. choose the option of how many days from date x (e.g. today) until date y (e.g. until Brexit)...

CALENDAR.zip

DaysDate.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

I always wanted a calender on the system, be it hard drive, floppy, modern device... that would check for a file by date at boot up (using one of the batch capable DOS, or even a multi aurtorun.sys) and present the important or noted this onscreen before continuing.

The BBS system used to provide a quote of the day, when strategically set up could sort of do this... but it still wasn't the droid I was looking for... the event scheduler didn't handle this either...

Edited by _The Doctor__

I always wanted a calender on the system, be it hard drive, floppy, modern device... that would check for a file by date at boot up (using one of the batch capable DOS, or even a multi aurtorun.sys) and present the important or noted this onscreen before continuing.

The BBS system used to provide a quote of the day, when strategically set up could sort of do this... but it still wasn't the droid I was looking for... the event scheduler didn't handle this either...

Just curious...what would you use that for? Annual reminders like birthdays? Or a "This Day in History" command?

As for a BBS command... Part-Time BBS has a "This Day in History" module. It's quite impressive how much history (including birthdays of famous people) it has.

-JP

• Like 1

I remember that but It only had I think two lines that displayed if I remember correctly. I was hoping for a full page of output, so a BBS would display perhaps a graphic(ascii, atascii, ANSI) and text... be it a birthday cake, a flag, a memorial, or even celebration.

Yes birthdays (which might have been done somewhere) this day in history, MOTD, and even appointments. I'd like the user to be able to set up their own reminders for deadlines as well. We can get lost in conversation or perusing the library/downloads. I nice reminder of the anniversary or picking up the kids would/ could be helpful :o

lol

/s

I remember that but It only had I think two lines that displayed if I remember correctly. I was hoping for a full page of output, so a BBS would display perhaps a graphic(ascii, atascii, ANSI) and text... be it a birthday cake, a flag, a memorial, or even celebration.

Yes birthdays (which might have been done somewhere) this day in history, MOTD, and even appointments. I'd like the user to be able to set up their own reminders for deadlines as well. We can get lost in conversation or perusing the library/downloads. I nice reminder of the anniversary or picking up the kids would/ could be helpful :o

lol

/s

The "this day in history" module I have typically displays more than 2 lines at a time. It depends on the day, but I've seen as much as a screenful (around 20 lines) of history/birthdays.

Whart you're proposing probably wouldn't be that hard to create either...most of the effort would be in compiling the daily information.

-JP

Ah but the real chore is making all the screens needed for 5 or more translations and colors. To further make things fun... how about the the date controls the entire sets of BBS screens, the theme can completely change based on season or holiday with flourishes for Christmas or Hanukkah or Fleet Week etc.... all kinds of good stuff... will random menu set still work with the dates as well... all kinds of possibilities....

We used to have hard drive partitions with the seasonal sets in them and would do the change using batch files to copy the them over to the active set-...set by set... -took forever... and the BBS was busy (off hook) for the whole process... grrrrrrrrr.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1