IGNORED

Atari800 4.1.0

baktra

Petr Stehlík released a new version of the highly portable 8-bit Atari computers and Atari 5200 console emulator.

Highlights
  • Atari800 now includes Altirra BIOSes for all emulated systems: 400/800, XL/XE, and 5200; as well as Altirra BASIC. It is now possible to use the emulator without providing any ROM images.
  • The Altirra OS-es and Altirra BASIC can now be selected by users in the "System settings", if they want to use them. Previously Altirra OS was used automatically only when no other OS ROMs were found.
  • The SDL port supports joystick hats. Configurable in CLI/cfg/TUI. This allows you to use the D-PAD of your gamepad.

Port-specific Highlights

Atari Falcon

• More Videl/screen handling fixes
  • Ability to run Atari800 in an AES-less environment
  • Replaced C2P with MMU friendly and faster code
  • Atari800 should run on all TOS clones with XBIOS Sound API
Android
  • Fixed building of the Android target, broken in the previous release.
  • Fixed labels on console keys (unreadable on hi-res displays)
  • Fixed console keys press detection
  • Fixed "right-handed joystick" trigger press
Raspberry Pi
  • Updated build documentation
  • Find proper Broadcom GLes libraries
  • Fixed bug in GRAPHICS 9 (shifted colors)

Downloads

Download from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/atari800/files/atari800/4.1.0/

Binaries that are currently available:

• Microsoft Windows 7 and newer (SDL port)
  • Atari Falcon
  • GNU/Linux (.deb)
  • macOS
  • Raspberry Pi
  • Like 19

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a problem with GTIA artifacts. Running 4.1.0 on linux, opensuse 15.0.

After setup and configuration for GTIA I'm getting the blue/red artifacts from a program I wrote.

Same program on atari800 3.x on linux does the green/purple artifacts.

Same program on Altirra in Windows is getting green/purple artifacts.

Is there some hidden voodoo in the config file to coerce this?

Petr Stehlík released a new version of the highly portable 8-bit Atari computers and Atari 5200 console emulator.

Highlights
  • Atari800 now includes Altirra BIOSes for all emulated systems: 400/800, XL/XE, and 5200; as well as Altirra BASIC. It is now possible to use the emulator without providing any ROM images.
  • The Altirra OS-es and Altirra BASIC can now be selected by users in the "System settings", if they want to use them. Previously Altirra OS was used automatically only when no other OS ROMs were found.
  • The SDL port supports joystick hats. Configurable in CLI/cfg/TUI. This allows you to use the D-PAD of your gamepad.

Port-specific Highlights

Atari Falcon

• More Videl/screen handling fixes
  • Ability to run Atari800 in an AES-less environment
  • Replaced C2P with MMU friendly and faster code
  • Atari800 should run on all TOS clones with XBIOS Sound API
Android
  • Fixed building of the Android target, broken in the previous release.
  • Fixed labels on console keys (unreadable on hi-res displays)
  • Fixed console keys press detection
  • Fixed "right-handed joystick" trigger press
Raspberry Pi
  • Updated build documentation
  • Find proper Broadcom GLes libraries
  • Fixed bug in GRAPHICS 9 (shifted colors)

Downloads

Download from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/atari800/files/atari800/4.1.0/

Binaries that are currently available:

• Microsoft Windows 7 and newer (SDL port)
  • Atari Falcon
  • GNU/Linux (.deb)
  • macOS
  • Raspberry Pi

Is there a way to use the Android version with Kodi? There is an add-on for Kodi, but it doesn't work.

Look here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi/comments/avx4j1/kodi_181_iagl_retroarch_emulator_heavenguide/

Is there a way to use the Android version with Kodi? There is an add-on for Kodi, but it doesn't work.

Look here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi/comments/avx4j1/kodi_181_iagl_retroarch_emulator_heavenguide/

If I understand the "architecture", then

1. There is a software called RetroArch that is a front end to many emulators, one of them is atari800 for Android.

2. There is a RetroArch plugin for Kodi.

So, the question is what exactly doesn't work. Is it that RetroArch cannot run atari800 for Android, or is it the plugin for Kodi that doesn't work?

Best way to find an answer would be to use RetroArch to run the emulator directly. If this works, then it is a problem with the plugin itself.

If I understand the "architecture", then

1. There is a software called RetroArch that is a front end to many emulators, one of them is atari800 for Android.

2. There is a RetroArch plugin for Kodi.

So, the question is what exactly doesn't work. Is it that RetroArch cannot run atari800 for Android, or is it the plugin for Kodi that doesn't work?

Best way to find an answer would be to use RetroArch to run the emulator directly. If this works, then it is a problem with the plugin itself.

I think you got a bit confused there. Retroarch is not a frontend for many emulators, retroarch is a frontend for 'libretro'. Kodi now supports libretro as well so it is effectively a replacement for Retroarch

Libretro is an api and library that tries to make the configuration, controls, display and sound of emulators work in a similar way.

Emulators need to be 'converted' to use libretro, this stops them being stand-alone and makes them 'cores'. Retroarch can load these cores.

Most emulators do not support libretro; I *think* only mednafen includes libretro as a build choice. The cores that are available have been made by the libretro team by taking the code of open source (and in a lot of cases abandoned) emulators and retrofitting libretro into them. The libretro team have not bothered to do this in a 'friendly' way, they fork the code make changes, release the core. They do not code to make the core creation another build target, they don't push their code changes back to the original emulators. Most developers of current open source emulators are not big fans of the libretro team because they reduce the emulator to basically just a plugin and users lose the connection to who actually developed the hard part. There are other issues with libretro (controllers being one of the biggies, they only support SDL2 pads (think XBox controller) so there is no way to implement numpads or different button layout or all the complex stuff you find in MAME for example). Any emulator that requires those things is never well implemented in libretro and users are left thinking the emulator is crap, not the core implementation.

Upshot of this is that for currently developed emulators, if a new release of the emulator happens, there is no release of a libretro core to go with it until the libretro team takes the new release and modifies it again.

The current libretro core for atari800 is 3.1.0 with some additional hacking by tschak909. They have not updated to 4.0.0 or 4.1.0 and can't do so without redoing all the changes they made to 3.1.0 and reapplying Thom's core improvements.

TLDR; no you cant run atari800 4.1.0 in Retroarch, or Kodi. You can run it in RetroPie but only as a standalone emulator.

• Like 1

I think you got a bit confused there. Retroarch is not a frontend for many emulators, retroarch is a frontend for 'libretro'. Kodi now supports libretro as well so it is effectively a replacement for Retroarch

Libretro is an api and library that tries to make the configuration, controls, display and sound of emulators work in a similar way.

Emulators need to be 'converted' to use libretro, this stops them being stand-alone and makes them 'cores'. Retroarch can load these cores.

Most emulators do not support libretro; I *think* only mednafen includes libretro as a build choice. The cores that are available have been made by the libretro team by taking the code of open source (and in a lot of cases abandoned) emulators and retrofitting libretro into them. The libretro team have not bothered to do this in a 'friendly' way, they fork the code make changes, release the core. They do not code to make the core creation another build target, they don't push their code changes back to the original emulators. Most developers of current open source emulators are not big fans of the libretro team because they reduce the emulator to basically just a plugin and users lose the connection to who actually developed the hard part. There are other issues with libretro (controllers being one of the biggies, they only support SDL2 pads (think XBox controller) so there is no way to implement numpads or different button layout or all the complex stuff you find in MAME for example). Any emulator that requires those things is never well implemented in libretro and users are left thinking the emulator is crap, not the core implementation.

Upshot of this is that for currently developed emulators, if a new release of the emulator happens, there is no release of a libretro core to go with it until the libretro team takes the new release and modifies it again.

The current libretro core for atari800 is 3.1.0 with some additional hacking by tschak909. They have not updated to 4.0.0 or 4.1.0 and can't do so without redoing all the changes they made to 3.1.0 and reapplying Thom's core improvements.

TLDR; no you cant run atari800 4.1.0 in Retroarch, or Kodi. You can run it in RetroPie but only as a standalone emulator.

Thank you very much for the clarification. Now I get it. Atari800 would have to include code that draws, beeps, and gets input through libretro. It doesn't seem very realistic, unless there is a maintained fork of SDL that would use libretro as back-end.

It doesn't seem very realistic, unless there is a maintained fork of SDL that would use libretro as back-end.

You got that bit backwards. Libretro uses SDL2 as its back end, they (libretro team) basically convert emulators to run with SDL2 and then hook libretro library calls into that.

Atari800 uses SDL and now that it has been depreciated it could really use an SDL2 target

You got that bit backwards. Libretro uses SDL2 as its back end, they (libretro team) basically convert emulators to run with SDL2 and then hook libretro library calls into that.

Atari800 uses SDL and now that it has been depreciated it could really use an SDL2 target

I am completely lost now. Sorry.

Let us say I want atari800 to support libretro. How do I paint a pixel on screen? Do I call libretro to paint the pixel (and libretro calls SDL2 to do it for me)?

• Like 1

Good to see a new release! But why didn't you include my fixes? AtariSid6 still doesn't run on atari800, which is a simple RMW fix. Also, no SAP-R recording? I'm not angry BTW, just curious :)

Edited by ivop

Think of it as a man in the middle, retroarch calls libretro, libretro uses sdl2

the emulator is drawing the screen in memory, libretro takes that screen, post processes it using shaders etc and copies it to an SDL2 surface to display it.

I'm sure more experienced programmers than I will fill in the details of that very broad description.

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/api/

Good to see a new release! But why didn't you include my fixes? AtariSid6 still doesn't run on atari800, which is a simple RMW fix. Also, no SAP-R recording? I'm not angry BTW, just curious :)

Did you send a pull request? I don't recall seeing any discussion about it on the mailing list!

Did you send a pull request? I don't recall seeing any discussion about it on the mailing list!

2015-06-23 about RMW fix:

https://sourceforge.net/p/atari800/mailman/message/34233143/

2015-09-03 about recording pokey:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242349-sap-type-r-recording-turbo-basic-tunes-to-sap/?hl=%2Bsap+%2Batari800

2015-09-14 about recording pokey:

https://sourceforge.net/p/atari800/mailman/message/34458219/

Edited by ivop

2015, that was a while ago!

Send a pull request on github, it wont get lost that way, and it will provoke some discussion on the mailing list, at least that way you'll find out why it wasn't implemented 4 years ago.

Petr is planning to move away from sourceforge, I spent a while recently transferring all the old binary releases to github. The mailing list is the only remaining issue and I think he's planning to use google groups for that.

2015, that was a while ago!

Yeah, I might have missed a release or two, too ;) Would have mentioned it earlier. Point is, my atari800 binary runs AtariSid perfectly well, so after a while you forget it's not mainline :)

Send a pull request on github, it wont get lost that way, and it will provoke some discussion on the mailing list, at least that way you'll find out why it wasn't implemented 4 years ago.

Will do. Thanks.

Yeah, I might have missed a release or two, too ;) Would have mentioned it earlier. Point is, my atari800 binary runs AtariSid perfectly well, so after a while you forget it's not mainline :)

Mine captures screenshots on a milisecond timer so I can feed them into a gif creator to make these

post-62759-0-65529800-1559328737.gif

I forget it's not mainline too!

• Like 7

Hi ivop, I'd forgotten about your terrific work, I know you don't get a lot of time but any plans for it...

Shame its not been supported by A800, once my first port of call for emulation...

Hi all,

first of all: Atari800's home has been on GitHub since 2017-08-03 as can be seen for example here:

https://atari800.github.io/news.html

or here:

https://atari800.sf.net/

or here:

https://atari800.github.io/

Baktra posted a wrong link to the release, that's a pity. All releases on GitHub are naturally here:

https://github.com/atari800/atari800/releases

Then, if a patch was submitted but not committed then there's a reason for it. For example the mailing list discussion related to the RMW Pokey contains also my posts that say why it wasn't committed yet:

https://sourceforge.net/p/atari800/mailman/message/34239977/

Also, patches in mailing list tend to get lost. GitHub pull request would be great. Even though this is a one liner so I'd have committed it long time ago if only someone else confirmed that the patch does the right thing.

I try to accept all useful additions and improvements. If I happen to fail please remind me, I am very busy with the real life so I spend only very limited time on Atari800 nowadays.

Thanks,

Petr

Edited by joysfera
  • Like 3

FYI, I've read a bit more information and understood that there's this software: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259038-atarisid-vi/

If this software works properly on real Atari 800 hardware but fails on the Atari800 emulator without the RMW patch, then that's exactly what I needed to know in order to accept the patch.

Edited by joysfera
  • Like 3

I've been digging in the documentation of the project, but I cannot find info about enabling debug files in atari800.

How should I configure it to have dbg files generated?

atari800 hangs when booting with cassette tape file attached and I wanted to see what goes wrong in gbd.

Thanks,

RD

FYI, I've read a bit more information and understood that there's this software: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259038-atarisid-vi/

If this software works properly on real Atari 800 hardware but fails on the Atari800 emulator without the RMW patch, then that's exactly what I needed to know in order to accept the patch.

Yeah, I suppose I should have elaborated more on the mailinglist back then. I did mention AtariSid once, but somehow only replied to the ACID test improvement. Which it doesn't BTW. Could be something phaeron can add to his ACID test. RMW instructions on IRQEN.

And yes, AtariSid6(s) works on real stock hardware :)

• Like 2