IGNORED

Anyone willing to sell an Atari Jaguar to me for an affordable price?

AndyM1985

Anyway you can easily find them broken and in MOST cases they either just need a new transistor soldered on or a power switch replaced. Pretty easy stuff if you dont mind getting your hands dirty.

Can you be more specific? I've heard of caps, a regulator being blown or other ICs, but never a simple fix like a transistor. Which transistors are you referring to for an easy repair?

Thanks man; I’ll try. The only reason I suggested Cybermorph because it was the cheapest one of the bunch. If I were to obtain a Jag system for those games listed above, then $150-170 would be more preferable. If anyone pays well over when it was retailed back in late 1993, then I kind of feel sorry for you; just saying.

"NO JAG FOR YOU" Quote from the Jag nazi. You can feel sorry for me while I'm playing my Jag.

Edited by Umberto
  • Like 3

Shit... I had a busted Atari Jaguar that someone gave me. I remember looking at the board to see if it was something that was ridiculously obvious. I saw one little chip that was soldered to the board (had 6 leads if I remember correctly), that looked like it had been burned... a burnt little circle in the middle of the chip. I recall just tossing it right into my trash bin as I was going through my garage before I moved... :(

In response to the person thinking the Jaguar will drop in price like the 2600 did - I really don't see that happening at all, the 2600 was in at least one house on every street back in the day, the Jaguar most certainly wasn't. I did personally think that the Atari 2600 would take a sudden surge in popularity after it had such a prominent part in the film Ready Player One, but all that seemed to do was ramp up the price of the game 'Adventure' for a few month and did nothing for the value of the Atari 2600 machines.

I've seen in the UK over many years of watching ebay that the hugely popular machines in our country fall in price over the years as there will be people forever finding them on attics for decades to come due to how many were sold, and there are only so many people nostalgic for the old machines when all the games can be played via emulators, plug and play joysticks, or new versions of the machine - the more popular the machine historically the less it will become worth I think, were as less popular machines like the Memotech MTX512 and Oric Atmos will hold their value and even increase as the years go on.

I think Atari 2600 also got clobbered by those Flashback machines that must have been released and re-released in about ten different versions.

I do consider myself lucky that my two Jaguars were bought in the mid 90s when Electronics Boutique in the UK were selling them all for £5 each - I really do look back on that day and wish I had taken the entire pile of brand new boxed Jaguar machines and new sealed games that were all £5 each as well... If I had a time machine I would go back and buy the lot - well maybe not the sealed Chequered Flag games!

I do think the CD machine is getting stupidly priced as well - less than 2 years ago my boxed one with all the packaging and games (and looking mint) was £299 - now ones without boxes are fetching even more.

I do think the chap who asked for a jaguar for $90 is just trying his luck - I used to do similar many years ago before the likes of ebay turned up - I would pop an advert now and again in my local newspapers wanted section looking for old arcade machines or old video games machines and put my phone number in the advert, it only paid off once or twice, but still pride of place in my kitchen is a Wurlitzer jukebox from 1961 that some guy was throwing out and let me have for a £100... I think now a days everyone knows the value of everything thanks to the internet so there's no free meals for anyone anymore... You pay market price for what ever you collect now a days, or you don't get it!

• Like 2

I think now a days everyone knows the value of everything thanks to the internet so there's no free meals for anyone anymore... You pay market price for what ever you collect now a days, or you don't get it!

There's still people not familiar with the internet. A thrift store I volunteer at once had this really nice turntable come in, ended up auctioning for €450. Looking the thing up online I found that the dust cover alone goes for over €100. I also managed to get a good deal on an Amiga 500 from there (after a fair discussion with the manager).

Nothing wrong with asking I my self had a Atari Jaguar given to me back in 99 a friend gave it to me he dug it out of the trash. I have no idea what happened to it. I think it was stolen. I still have avp it's why In on the hunt for one. Scalpers and hoarders are jacking up prices combine with YouTube videos collectors are driving up prices video game collectors need to complete there collections. 32x is also going to go up because people were harvesting it's sh2 chips for cps3 arcade machines.... Then you have angry video game nerd shooting it with bow. Most people own it so they could bash it. But I tell you doom on it with a bug screen TV was amazing in early 90s.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with asking I my self had a Atari Jaguar given to me back in 99 a friend gave it to me he dug it out of the trash. I have no idea what happened to it. I think it was stolen. I still have avp it's why In on the hunt for one. Scalpers and hoarders are jacking up prices combine with YouTube videos collectors are driving up prices video game collectors need to complete there collections. 32x is also going to go up because people were harvesting it's sh2 chips for cps3 arcade machines.... Then you have angry video game nerd shooting it with bow. Most people own it so they could bash it. But I tell you doom on it with a bug screen TV was amazing in early 90s.

I know scalpers, hoarders, YouTubers and game collectors often take blame for spiking the prices on these items, but.. if it's what the item is actively selling for, and it's not a staple of life, I'm not sure what to say. I'm sure everyone in the Jaguar community would like to get a system or games for cheaper than the going rate and I definitely hope those looking can find a good deal on a system.

• Like 2

Absolutely. I have 3 games I'd like to pick up for the Jag then I'm done, and I've been watching them rise to the point that I'm now waiting for Saint's flash card instead. It's not like AvP is even rare, everyone who had a jag had it and there are always copies up for sale, it's just what it sells for now. Which is I suppose the thing, they do sell at these prices.

FWIW I always buy new releases and homebrew when they're available. I have no issues paying the actual creators for their stuff. After all, I want them to carry on creating more cool stuff for the machines I love.

• Like 1

I bought my Jaguar for $80 shipped with a couple games about 5 years ago, though I saved some money because I already had a pair of controllers I picked up at a flea market for $5.

I'm glad I got it when I did, and certainly would feel far more hesitant to pull the trigger at $200 -- which is to say that I probably wouldn't (though it'd be tempting with the upcoming flash cart). Heck, I'm glad I got everything I have when I did, back in a five-year period from about 2008-2013 when it was much more possible to find affordable stuff.

I don't really think the demand for the Jaguar has increased, so much as that the supply has dried up somewhat. I suppose there will always be some folks out there who want to have "every" system, and there'll be a fixed demand as people age into being able to afford that -- at least, until the actuarial tables have their way, and current Jaguar owners go to the great 64-bit graphics coprocessor in the sky.

But a lot of people buy things as "investments" and I think the Jaguar, like the 32X and 3DO, has seen some of that action. That said, at least the 32X and 3DO have easy ways to play the full library (and homebrews) via flash cart or burned disc. Plus their controllers are relatively normal, while the Jag's is weird, and for a while those consoles were better emulated than the Jaguar.

(I don't know if that's changed: is 100% emulation a viable way to experience the Jaguar these days, or are many of the games still broken?)

So I sympathize with the OP: the Jaguar has somehow become a premium-priced console while remaining a deeply unpopular one, and it's disappointing to feel left out if you're in a place where $200 is a big chunk out of your income. I certainly don't like the idea of spending $200+ on any used console, let alone one with no warranty, no easy path to repairs, and no really cheap games.

Have I gotten $200 worth of enjoyment out of my Jaguar? Not so far, no, though I'm still glad that I have it, and I did put a lot of hours into Hover Strike (one of the two Jaguar games I've beaten).

Now that I think of it, my total investment in the Jaguar -- between the system, the 3-button controllers, the reproduction Pro controllers, the homebrew AV cables, and the games I've bought -- is around $200-250, I guess. No regrets, but looks like it's time to play some Iron Soldier and Kasumi Ninja and get additional value for my dollars. :)

• Like 2

It's ironic that the people that might enjoy it casually can't for price reasons. Price kills it. If it had sold for 150 bucks and released a year earlier the test market release was a mistake should of mass released it at that time. They ended up marking them down to 150 any ways. Also should of sued Sony for price dumping. I read a few years ago the UK was selling them on the low as part of some rerelease special.

• Like 2

I remember the Edge/NextGen interview with Tramiel when he was making those noises. I figured the lawsuit never happened and it's helpful to have the reason why confirmed.

I mostly liked the Jaguar as a cheap "what-if" system, and the Minter games. There's no way I'd pay even $100 for a perfect Jag console in modern times, not when there are so much better places to put one's money.

• Like 3

Sony took out the PS1's S-Video port on units sent to the US, if memory serves. I found that tidbit on that website Atari's old marketing manager ran. I think it's in1995, right between him having to correct a news agency which called Atari a "former video game maker" & Sam Tramiel having a minor heart attack. I'll have to get a link later.

I'd probably rather get a PV1000, even tho it's more expensive & arguably less useful. It's just been one of my obsessions for years, & strangely enough it's not entirely out of reach, unlike an Atari Cosmos. Doubt I'll ever get one, but it's fun to dream. :)

Edited by pacman000

I bought my Jaguar for $80 shipped with a couple games about 5 years ago, though I saved some money because I already had a pair of controllers I picked up at a flea market for $5.

I'm glad I got it when I did, and certainly would feel far more hesitant to pull the trigger at $200 -- which is to say that I probably wouldn't (though it'd be tempting with the upcoming flash cart). Heck, I'm glad I got everything I have when I did, back in a five-year period from about 2008-2013 when it was much more possible to find affordable stuff.

I don't really think the demand for the Jaguar has increased, so much as that the supply has dried up somewhat. I suppose there will always be some folks out there who want to have "every" system, and there'll be a fixed demand as people age into being able to afford that -- at least, until the actuarial tables have their way, and current Jaguar owners go to the great 64-bit graphics coprocessor in the sky.

But a lot of people buy things as "investments" and I think the Jaguar, like the 32X and 3DO, has seen some of that action. That said, at least the 32X and 3DO have easy ways to play the full library (and homebrews) via flash cart or burned disc. Plus their controllers are relatively normal, while the Jag's is weird, and for a while those consoles were better emulated than the Jaguar.

(I don't know if that's changed: is 100% emulation a viable way to experience the Jaguar these days, or are many of the games still broken?)

So I sympathize with the OP: the Jaguar has somehow become a premium-priced console while remaining a deeply unpopular one, and it's disappointing to feel left out if you're in a place where $200 is a big chunk out of your income. I certainly don't like the idea of spending $200+ on any used console, let alone one with no warranty, no easy path to repairs, and no really cheap games.

Have I gotten $200 worth of enjoyment out of my Jaguar? Not so far, no, though I'm still glad that I have it, and I did put a lot of hours into Hover Strike (one of the two Jaguar games I've beaten).

Now that I think of it, my total investment in the Jaguar -- between the system, the 3-button controllers, the reproduction Pro controllers, the homebrew AV cables, and the games I've bought -- is around $200-250, I guess. No regrets, but looks like it's time to play some Iron Soldier and Kasumi Ninja and get additional value for my dollars. :)

Thanks for your comment man; really didn’t deserve all of this hate, where literally I feel like blowing $240 for a Jag today is simply ridiculous...to be “realistic.” Sure, was my original asking price bogus; yeah, pretty much should of said $150-180 in the thread. Just know that we all would want a Jag for cheap; still, only in the mid to late 90s. Anyhow, glad you made a pretty sizable Jag collection; you sir, are one of the lucky ones.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comment man; really didn’t deserve all of this hate, where literally I feel like blowing $240 for a Jag today is simply ridiculous...to be “realistic.” Sure, was my original asking price bogus; yeah, pretty much should of said $150-180 in the thread. Just know that we all would want a Jag for cheap; still, only in the mid to late 90s. Anyhow, glad you made a pretty sizable Jag collection; you sir, are one of the lucky ones.

Well I think you made two miscalculations.

First off we all want to buy anything we are interested in obtaining for the best price possible. We also want to sell things for the highest price possible. Buy low, sell high is a natural instinct. The idea that people in the community would want to put that instinct aside because another fan of the system is looking for one is far fetched. If my best friend wants a Jag I would probably cut him a deal. I'm not going to do that for a stranger on the internet. I have to just trust that you aren't going to flip the console and I also have to have an incentive to lose out on a better deal for myself to "help you out." I'm quite the sucker but even I wouldn't be willing to go for that. Some people might even think you are insulting their intelligence by suggesting you deserve that break. Doesn't the person that has been invested in the Jag deserve to get market value if they decide to part with their items? Even if they are items that they aren't actively using they have had to take care of them and store them since the time they were worth what you consider a "fair price". How long ago did someone have to buy the item for it to have cost them that price? Does inflation count for nothing? If someone bought the item for exactly what you are wanting it for they are actually losing money on that deal. Nothing about what you are asking makes sense or is in any way fair to the seller. You would be the only winner in such a deal. You think you are asking someone to sell to you for a "fair price" but what you are asking is barely better than asking someone to just give you one. Half price... free... simply a different gradation of asking someone to be willingly stiffed. When we purchased our Jags we paid market value. If you want to purchase one you will have to pay market value. That is what's fair. The system is worth what people are willing to pay for it. If you aren't willing to pay for it you are priced out. Wait and see if the price will come down. Otherwise you should consider using your money for something else.

The second miscalculation you made was to think that you wouldn't catch flack for your request in the Jaguar forum. This is the Jaguar forum. You catch flack in here on any day that ends in y. You have to have a thick skin to post in here. I won't pretend like that is a good thing or that it reflects well on this community. It's just the way it is and the way it has always been. I've been hanging around these parts for a long long time. If this place ever changes I will be shocked. So don't take it personally. You made a silly request in a place that is not very forgiving. Oh well. Move on I say.

• Like 3

Here's that link: http://web.archive.org/web/20010408163025/http://www.icwhen.com/index1.html

"On Thursday, May 11, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) show in Los Angeles, California, Sony Computer Entertainment America’s (SCEA) president, Mr. Steve Race, announced a price drop of the forthcoming PlayStation video game console to $299. Threatened by Atari’s claim that Sony may be dumping product in the United States, SCEA’s decision was to alter the U.S. version so that it did not have an S-Video adaptor built-in. The technical change differentiated the machine from the one selling in Japan for $320."

• Like 1

Atari had lowered the Jaguar's base price to $150 that March: http://web.archive.org/web/20010418055319fw_/http://icwhen.com/book/the90s/1995.html

Note that didn't include a game. And Sony's system had a CD drive built in; if you bought the Atari system you would've had to pay another $150 to get the disk drive, effectively making the Jag the same price as the PS1. I think Atari lowered the base price to $99 before Christmas, but Sony had more money, more ads, better ads, etc.

• Like 1

I remember our local Walmart hard Jaguars for a few months tops. Then they got put on the very top shelf where no one could see them or reach them. I am amazed Walmart would even carry them...

I remember that, but our local Walmart also had random Jaguar things like controllers, A/V cables and Jaglinks sitting on the very bottom shelf as well. There was Jaguar product scattered here and there in the gaming department at that time. Some behind glass doors, systems either sitting up top high, or down on the first shelf. Crushed copies of Highlander and Hoverstrike among others, in those stupid round bins that essentially have you 'dumpster diving'. :lol:

• Like 1

This is what kills me... I have *every* game except Gorf, Lights Out, and my copy of BattleSphere is fake. But I have every other cart, every other CD, and every other version of every other cart and CD.

I don't exactly have Fort Knox here, but I know if I wanted to, I could probably come away $7,500+ from my Jaguar collection if I took my time selling it. Which is crazy... hah. I don't really need the money, and I like having the system... but not going to lie... I know it's there in case I ever find myself in a really bad situation where I've already cashed out stocks and my savings and need money... :/ haha