Atariboy2600

What's Your Pipe Dream Games On The Jag.

2 minutes ago, BeefMan said:

If only Heretic was ported to the Jag ;)

A Hexen on you, Sir!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

I beg to differm because one exists. Or, maybe after watching it, the non-existant one is better. 

Gotta be honest, I tried reading that a few times but it doesn't make sense. I even tried googling "differm" but came up with nothing related to this topic. 

And it goes without saying that a pro makes a better port than an amateur, was this even up for debate? 

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

And it goes without saying that a pro makes a better port than an amateur, was this even up for debate? 

You said it was "obvious" the Jaguar version would be better.  Given the above, it's not at all obvious, now is it?

13 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

You said it was "obvious" the Jaguar version would be better.  Given the above, it's not at all obvious, now is it?

The only thing that's obvious is that this conversation is going nowhere. Someone said that they'd want DN3D on the Jag and I replied that a version existed for a lesser powerful platform, albeit in a very watered down version. 

This is the last I'm going to say about this matter. 

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:52 AM, Arcadia said:

Inferior ports have always existed. Compare Doom on the Snes and Doom on the Jag, and it's obvious the Jag version of DN3D would've been better than the MD version. 

I haven't seen the MD version, so cannot comment on that. Just figured I'd chime in with experience from rendering flatshaded or textured polygons on Jaguar.

1. Disabled Look Up/Down : you could get very close to framerate of Doom as you would be rendering long stripes of pixels (vertical or horizontal). Of course, the problem then is that half of game becomes unplayable as a result of this, because you must aim up/down almost all the time. But in most places it could be handled like in Doom - e.g. just one enemy YPOS at given screen XPOS, so YPOS is merely cosmetic.

2 Free Look - now we cannot render long vertical/horizontal stripes of pixels, but must instead render pixel by pixel. That's awfully slow. At that point, we might as well render Quake dataset (though, of course, that's a whole different ballgame in terms of 3D engine pipeline).

Now, I'm not saying that it's impossible to render textured angled surfaces as a series of stripes using single Blitter call. But there is significant overhead in doing so (on top of other related glitches and precision issues), even when code runs on GPU.

In short, Duke is not worth the coding effort on jag. Might as well go for Quake complexity.

Then again, I finished Duke about 50 times more than Quake1, so there's also an argument for the amazing gameplay that Duke brings to the table (compared to the rather dull Quake1).

Both games got played in the dorm in my room in Multiplayer, but Duke got easily 10x more play than Quake over the cable. Quake is not much fun in multiplayer when you're drunk, but Duke is absolutely amazing in MP when drunk (especially when high) :lol:

9 hours ago, VladR said:

I haven't seen the MD version, so cannot comment on that. Just figured I'd chime in with experience from rendering flatshaded or textured polygons on Jaguar.

1. Disabled Look Up/Down : you could get very close to framerate of Doom as you would be rendering long stripes of pixels (vertical or horizontal). Of course, the problem then is that half of game becomes unplayable as a result of this, because you must aim up/down almost all the time. But in most places it could be handled like in Doom - e.g. just one enemy YPOS at given screen XPOS, so YPOS is merely cosmetic.

There is a version for the GBA which exactly does that. Level design is adjusted to the "Doom" alike mechanics.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 3:59 PM, pacman000 said:

A 3D game where you fly around as or on a dragon.

A voxel game with higher resolution sprites. 

(Not sure these are possible, which is why I'm putting them in the pipe dream thread.)

Talking of Voxel Games:

Until recently i had no idea John Carmack had actually written several Voxel Engines in his time.

The early version of Shadowcaster had Voxel floors at 1 point, removed when game engine was rewritten to be more polygon based..

And he wrote 2 Voxel Engines when he started on Quake 2 and reached a point where he thought they could almost be run in software,  but they would of run in a fairly low resolution and slower speed compared to hardware based polygon engines, so he abandoned them.

After completing Wolfenstien on PC he created a voxel-landscape game engine and had a car driving through it,but it never progressed any further..

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

Would've liked to have seen an update of Combat in the vein of Defender 2000. Digitized sprites for the background and tanks. Make a single-player mode so you can go up against computer controlled opponents. Provide a variety of tanks (I'd say at least four) with differing 'armor', 'power' and 'speed' stats. Include hazards like exploding barrels, pits of acid or flame, and road spikes. Power-ups that provide temporary invulnerability, speed boost, weapons boost, etc. Vibrant explosions. Also, rotary support. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 6:30 PM, 82-T/A said:

I've never seen any images or video from a supposed Battlezone 2000 if one existed, but add me to the waiting list if it gets produced! haha...

It was supposedly shown in a very early form at SCES in June 1994, but other than a possible title screen which didn't state a developer,  nothing seems to of been archived on it.

Frustrating really. 

Did anyone mention a Indy 500 remake? I would love to see a "INDY 500 2K". Imagine 2-4 player Indy 500 game with a few power-ups ala Micro Machines!  Love me some Indy 500(tag mode is so much fun) and LOVE Micro Machines!

I also played Indy 500 for hours on the VCS. 

hmm, been looking for some inspiration for smaller games for a future multicart... will have to add this to the list :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machine said:

Did anyone mention a Indy 500 remake? I would love to see a "INDY 500 2K". Imagine 2-4 player Indy 500 game with a few power-ups ala Micro Machines!  Love me some Indy 500(tag mode is so much fun) and LOVE Micro Machines!

I enjoyed the shit out of Micro Machines on the NES and loved the toys as a kid. When I first saw Power Drive Rally that's what I imagined was those shiny little toy cars. Something with multiple cars would be sweet: boats, hot rods, Indy cars, tanks, and whatever else it had!

Edited by UHATEIT

41 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

I also played Indy 500 for hours on the VCS. 

hmm, been looking for some inspiration for smaller games for a future multicart... will have to add this to the list :)

The "Tag Mode" is so much fun. I use to own a couple Video Game Stores and we would use Indy 500 as a tie breaker game when we ran tournaments. It became so popular, we added it to some of our contests. The Tag option is fun cuz you drive around chasing the other guy while the timer is going. At the end of the game, whoever has the most time(not being caught) wins! 

Imagine all the fun upgrades you could add to this game! Drop oil-spills, turbos, leave tire spikes, etc.

Also, check out the LED game called "Split Second". It has a realy fun "racing" game where you drive thru gates(or around them). As kids, we use to play this for hours trying to beat each others scores. At the end of the race, the track will stay the same(unless you change it) so the next guy can try the same course.  Such a simple and fun game. It has 7 other games, most are extremely fun. The LED game(Split Second) goes for $15-20 on ebay. So worth it. I have it on our coffee table and when we have parties or folks over, it ends up getting played until my wife makes us put it away.  :)

Check out "Split Second" (driving game starts at 1:40) :

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1