10 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Just need to figure out how to use twitch to watch zph play this game. It asks for a username and password? Can always watch the videos after I guess  

You should be able to just go to https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew to watch. But yes it will appear on YouTube in a few days.

• Like 1

I agree with Tanya that the paddles are a bit too sensitive in this game. It’s an amazing port that’s very true to the arcade. But if you just played Kaboom! or Avalanche (what, you don’t go through a paddle phase now and then?) and then switch to this it’s much more sensitive then the feel of those classic games so throws you a bit.

Now let me go back to playing a few rounds of this great game. ?

• Like 1

Just now, MrZarniwoop said:

I agree with Tanya that the paddles are a bit too sensitive in this game. It’s an amazing port that’s very true to the arcade. But if you just played Kaboom! or Avalanche (what, you don’t go through a paddle phase now and then?) and then switch to this it’s much more sensitive then the feel of those classic games so throws you a bit.

Now let me go back to playing a few rounds of this great game. ?

Thanks for the feedback.  Yeah I think I little tweaking to adjust the speed might be in order. Some of the other controllers have the ability to set different speeds so I'll see what might be possible with the paddles.  Just waiting for a concerto update so I can do a little more hardware testing myself.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

I agree with Tanya that the paddles are a bit too sensitive in this game.

As you progress through more levels of the game, your opinion of the sensitivity may change.?  Kaboom and Avalanche may be paddle games, but they are a bit different (catch games) from the Arkanoid (block breaker) type games.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

As you progress through more levels of the game, your opinion of the sensitivity may change.?  Kaboom and Avalanche may be paddle games, but they are a bit different (catch games) from the Arkanoid (block breaker) type games.

Excellent point! I’ll have to compare to Super Breakout sensitivity, which is my “I’m listening on a conference call but am not presenting” game, roughly the equivalent of tossing a baseball up in the air during a call. For that reason, I never play SBO it when I actually want to actively play a game.

59 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

:thumbsup: Agree @sramirez2008 

There's quite the difference in how quick of a reaction and control sensitivity is needed for dropping objects (even if occurring rapidly), where they are revealing their fall pattern ahead of time, as opposed to a ball that can suddenly ricochet off of a close lying brick to the player; the unbreakable bricks are extra treacherous.  Some very sensitive, quick acting controls in those circumstances are indeed very much needed. 

At the very least, stages 31, 27, 24, 15, 12, 10, heck, even stage 3, contain bricks at a relatively low level.

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, the_hawk said:

Hi, I was wondering if there'd been any progress on this project since the last update.  

The thought of playing Arkanoid with paddles on a 7800 is pretty exciting!

For some reason I thought I read somewhere that he was having problems with this one and had put it aside or would have to start it over...?‍♂️

• Like 2

9 hours ago, the_hawk said:

Hi, I was wondering if there'd been any progress on this project since the last update.  

The thought of playing Arkanoid with paddles on a 7800 is pretty exciting!

Hi there!

As suggested by @AtariBrian this is currently waiting for a return some day soon mainly due to finding a better method of determining ball collisions. Not to say that the current version isn't too bad but it needs tweaking and a more productive process.

The available latest version most certainly has paddle support and is not far off being complete so very much download and give it a try! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for replying.  I'm not sure how to get the ROM on to the original hardware to use the paddle, but will definitely be downloading & having a play at the latest version on an emulator.

Cheers for all the development on this one & hopefully you'll get the chance to return to it at some point.

5 hours ago, the_hawk said:

Thanks so much for replying.  I'm not sure how to get the ROM on to the original hardware to use the paddle, but will definitely be downloading & having a play at the latest version on an emulator.

Cheers for all the development on this one & hopefully you'll get the chance to return to it at some point.

No probs! If you use the A7800 emulator you can use the mouse to simulate the paddle which works pretty well!

Latest builds should be in the first post - if not let me know.

• Thanks 1

I like what I played of the WIP. Nice that it supports paddles. The 7800 core in MiSTer now has support for the first paddle, as well as mouse support for paddle games. 

I saw a mention of the Genesis Frogger port being arcade perfect? It's not. The developers pretty much improvised after level 5, with more added cars and turtles instead of rolling over to level 1 with obstacles from previous levels. The Genesis version rolls over much later than with the arcade with a level with a line full of turtles and doesn't keep stuff from previous levels IIRC. The Genesis version never has 2 snakes on screen like in the original. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, Slylecoco said:

Hi!

So awesome work !

Incredible result.

Can't wait for final rom release! 

Just a question please;

Is it possible to play the démo with emulator?

Not on PC, but with Retroarch android, or with PSP, Xbox, etc...

thx for your help ! :)

Hi there!

Thanks! I really want to get back to Arkanoid eventually once I can work up a better solution for the ball movement/calculation as the game is reasonably complete (excluding floating objects which I have made a start on).

Yeah it should be possible if the emulator properly emulates the 128K+Ram cart (which most should no problem) but bear in mind that Arkanoid uses the pokey for sound at the less common location of @450 which a lot of the older emulators can't playback correctly.  

• Like 3

Yeah it's real close but very much on the edge of not running as well as it needs.  I've started learning/doing some 6502 assembly recently which has shown me things can be optimized more but I do really want to finish it for sure.

I can't unfortunately really offer any 7800 emulator suggestions for non-PC (I only use A7800 for my development).  I believe most are based on the ProSystem emulator which is really long in the tooth especially for the modern homebrew stuff coming out nowadays.  @Trebor Robert would have any suggestions on what might work best?

For any device that has access to surf the web and can run JavaScript, there is the online emulator, JS7800, that plays Arkanoid beautifully:

https://raz0red.github.io/js7800/

image.thumb.png.6c64b0d3ee119467d712370da8b968c4.png

Additionally, although I have not utilized it personally, Argon is also very good and should be able to run Arkanoid without issue under Android phone/tablet/TV as well as Chromebook: https://www.markspace.com/argon/

Argon can also be utilized under the Raspberry Pi following the steps outlined by the developer in the following post:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2