IGNORED

Space Invaders in 512 bytes of x86-assembly code

Not sure if expected but I was fumbling with the controls and got hit a bunch of times. With the controls left and right go til end of screen unless hit spacebar to shoot. That might just be VM anyway then the screen got all messed up after my ship got hit. Note I was running from Virtual Box using DOS defaults, your invaders.img as a boot floppy and 16M of memory.

260u07k.png

Edited by thetick1

Very cool. In that video the shots and movements of the invaders are very fast. I'll have to run on an old 486 or even 286 and see if the speed is proportional to CPU. Thanks for sharing!

It uses the BIOS clock service to synchronize to 18.2 hz, so it should work on any machine.

Not sure if expected but I was fumbling with the controls and got hit a bunch of times. With the controls left and right go til end of screen unless hit spacebar to shoot. That might just be VM any then the screen got all messed up after hit. Note I was running from Virtual Box using DOS defaults and 16M of memory.

260u07k.png

You have 4 lives, I've modified the source code for boot sector to stop once you use all, but if you use the COM file it will invoke INT 20H and in boot sector it points to nothing, so it crashes very nicely, I think. :P

BTW the trick to stop the spaceship is to press Space to shoot, the BIOS doesn't allow me to check for pressed keys, only can get the next pressed key.