IGNORED

1050 Won't Format Disks? "ERROR- 173"

I picked up 'Give me the Night' on a whim after first listening to the GB Verve Jazz Masters CD and it came as quite a shock. It is a fine album, though, and 'Dinorah, Dinorah' is a stand-out (largely because it's one of the only instrumentals). But the Columbia, Verve and A&M stuff from the Sixties, and the CTI and Warner Brothers stuff form the Seventies are where it's at. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so now I have a new issue.  As I mentioned, I managed to get my drive functioning again, but then it suddenly started acting up again with AtariDOS disks.  I opened it up, tried adjusting the speed again, but it did no good.  Then I saw it.  There was a piece of fuss hanging off the upper arm of the read head.  Turns out that it was a small felt dot that was applying pressure on the disk to keep it in proper contact with the head.  When I applied pressure to the upper arm the drive works perfectly, so I'm guessing that little dot was important.  The original is sadly lost, so I need a replacement, but I'm having trouble finding one.  Any ideas?  Can I just cut out a new one and glue it with some Elmers?

3 minutes ago, DistantStar001 said:

Ok, so now I have a new issue.  As I mentioned, I managed to get my drive functioning again, but then it suddenly started acting up again with AtariDOS disks.  I opened it up, tried adjusting the speed again, but it did no good.  Then I saw it.  There was a piece of fuss hanging off the upper arm of the read head.  Turns out that it was a small felt dot that was applying pressure on the disk to keep it in proper contact with the head.  When I applied pressure to the upper arm the drive works perfectly, so I'm guessing that little dot was important.  The original is sadly lost, so I need a replacement, but I'm having trouble finding one.  Any ideas?  Can I just cut out a new one and glue it with some Elmers?

The felt was the original disk mechanism pressure-pad that ensured the flexible Mylar surface of the disk maintains contact with the R/W head of the disk. I don't think Elmers is going to hold, but you need some kind of adhesive to attach a new felt pad. You might try some 3M or other brand spray adhesive applied to the back of the felt but whatever you do, don't allow the adhesive to get onto the disk-contact side of the pad! You'll gouge the disk and destroy it. Similarly, you want to ensure that whatever felt you use to make a new pad is the same thickness as the original. 

You can buy replacement felt pads from the usual suspects, careful application of contact cement can be used to re attach the old one. Keep them clean. Don't use the drive immediately until whatever cement you use is done off gassing it's vapor etc.

also be aware of how contact cements work, it must be applied to the recess in the holder and on the adhesive side of the felt, left to set up and then brought together...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I bought some OEM felt pads from Best Electronics, was $15 for 5. (Plus shipping, so most worthwhile if you get some other things too)

5  CO17511 810 / 1050 Felt (Rabbits hair)                 U$D   15.00

It's the same type of felt you'd find in an Audio cassette (albeit that would not be round). Can anways cut/trim to size. With one drive I repaired, I carefully cut a small circle of felt out of a sheet of it from the craft store, and carefully glued it onto the pressure pad arm with model glue. It was quite fuzzy so it took some trimming to get just right. Definitely ensure it's had lots of time for the glue to dry (24h?) before use to be sure no glue will get on the disk surface. Craft felt is probably not the best, as it's often plastic based.

The primary 'usual suspects' for hardware are:

Best Electronics http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

B&C Computervisions aka myatari http://www.myatari.com/

Those two have original stock acquired from various warehouse closures.

• Like 1

they have to be anti static, hence rabbit hair, or specific treated fibers, I think furniture mover felt has taken little to no effort into this realm, nor to abrasiveness or density... not all felt is the same... this goes toward plastic buffing and treating felts as well

Edited by _The Doctor__

57 minutes ago, brenski said:

That was my first thought, but they were far too thick course.