KB3L0CA

Homebrews on Uno-2600 cartridge

Hey guys, quick question for the owners of UNO cartridge.

I know that the UNO runs all atari original games, but what about the homebrews or hacks?

Does it work with Halo2600?

Which ones you guys noticed that doesn't run with this cartridge?

Thanks in advance!

I think just some ARM-assisted homebrews don't work with the Uno. Other than that, I'd be surprised if there were any homebrews or hacks that didn't work. I'll be happy to try the ROM for Halo 2600 on mine to confirm, however,

post-30777-0-07586300-1560288020.jpg

With ARM games I think it's more like Windows being incompatible with the Mac - the UNO cart has an ARM processor too but ARM assisted games can also rely on operating system calls in addition to running the gameloop.

With a different OS, only a translation layer can make those games playable on the UNO; I think there is already discussion of one underway.

I wrote a similar translation layer to allow SuperCharger games to be recompiled as CBS RAM games, though both classic formats are supported on the UNO and the Harmony.

The SuperCharger format has the distinction of being the only legacy format with an OS to place calls to, though luckily few calls are made since the OS is even more minimal; translation to CBS RAM format requires no OS calls are made to load data.

Not sure what the limitations would be for writing ARM game translators in either direction with the UNO and Harmony ensemble.

Thanks dude! It was very explanatory!

attachicon.gifDell.jpg

With ARM games I think it's more like Windows being incompatible with the Mac - the UNO cart has an ARM processor too but ARM assisted games can also rely on operating system calls in addition to running the gameloop.

With a different OS, only a translation layer can make those games playable on the UNO; I think there is already discussion of one underway.

I wrote a similar translation layer to allow SuperCharger games to be recompiled as CBS RAM games, though both classic formats are supported on the UNO and the Harmony.

The SuperCharger format has the distinction of being the only legacy format with an OS to place calls to, though luckily few calls are made since the OS is even more minimal; translation to CBS RAM format requires no OS calls are made to load data.

Not sure what the limitations would be for writing ARM game translators in either direction with the UNO and Harmony ensemble.

I've played:

balloon trip
blinky goes up
boulder dash
crazy balloon
climber 5
colony 7
go fish
hunchy 2
lady bug
seawolf
star fire
thrust
toy shop trouble
vault assault

asstd AA multicart roms

Melody board games like Draconian, space rocks do not work

Wasn't too familiar with Mappy or Wizard of wor arcade, but did not work

Thanks a lot for sharing the games! I really appreciate it! I've wondered Mappy wasn't going to run due to the AMR programming used in the harmony cartridge.

I've played:

balloon trip
blinky goes up
boulder dash
crazy balloon
climber 5
colony 7
go fish
hunchy 2
lady bug
seawolf
star fire
thrust
toy shop trouble
vault assault

asstd AA multicart roms

Melody board games like Draconian, space rocks do not work

Wasn't too familiar with Mappy or Wizard of wor arcade, but did not work

Hi KB,

I recently bought an UNO cart, and I'm very happy with it, as stated some homebrew won't work, things like the galaga demo recently released, Space Cactus Canyon which is really fun doesn't work either :( I think these are labelled as "DPC+" or something, it relates to the way Harmony Encore carts can take advantage by altered hardware in the cart, while Stella can run these games (such as on Retron 77) UNO carts can't yet as they run much more like original carts.

I can play things like Halo 2600, Zippy the Porcupine, Princess Rescue and many others from it.

Here is some games I have under my homebrew folder:

Arcade ports: Avalanche, ColorGotcha, DK VCS

Demakes: Aadvark (I think there is two versions, only one work on UNO), Beeware (Super Bee on Videopac), Choplifter, Distopia, Halo 2600, Ladybug, Princess Rescue, Scramble, TitanAxe (Golden Axe!), Zippy

Others: Robo Ninja Climb, Osytron, Assembloids, Dungeon etc

Thanks a lot Mike! I've bought it too and I'm looking forward to play some homebrew games as well. Good to know that Zippy and the others runs on it!

Thanks for sharing it dude!

Hi KB,

I recently bought an UNO cart, and I'm very happy with it, as stated some homebrew won't work, things like the galaga demo recently released, Space Cactus Canyon which is really fun doesn't work either :( I think these are labelled as "DPC+" or something, it relates to the way Harmony Encore carts can take advantage by altered hardware in the cart, while Stella can run these games (such as on Retron 77) UNO carts can't yet as they run much more like original carts.

I can play things like Halo 2600, Zippy the Porcupine, Princess Rescue and many others from it.

Here is some games I have under my homebrew folder:

Arcade ports: Avalanche, ColorGotcha, DK VCS

Demakes: Aadvark (I think there is two versions, only one work on UNO), Beeware (Super Bee on Videopac), Choplifter, Distopia, Halo 2600, Ladybug, Princess Rescue, Scramble, TitanAxe (Golden Axe!), Zippy

Others: Robo Ninja Climb, Osytron, Assembloids, Dungeon etc

Edited by KB3L0CA