Jump to content
Albert

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Recommended Posts

On the "Forums" page is there any way to fit everything on the screen instead of having to scroll way right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you show me a screenshot of what you're seeing?  You should not have to scroll to the right at all. 

 

Thanks, 

 

 ..Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a limit to how many notifications I can have? Or a way to delete them? Seems like I'm getting an unusually large amount of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Is there a limit to how many notifications I can have? Or a way to delete them? Seems like I'm getting an unusually large amount of them.

I don't know about deleting old notifications, but if you click the "Globe" icon in the upper-right, you should see an option to open your notification settings.  There, you can reduce the number of new notifications you receive, or disable them entirely.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

I don't know about deleting old notifications, but if you click the "Globe" icon in the upper-right, you should see an option to open your notification settings.  There, you can reduce the number of new notifications you receive, or disable them entirely.

This.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have fixed Facebook and Twitter logins, and also added Google as a login option.  

 

 ..Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, danwinslow said:

In general, so far I have to say I dislike the visual presentation. It seems like the same bad UI philosophy change that's been percolating through technology for the last 5 years or so...giant blocky wastes of screen space with big flat colorful buttons every where. I think that somebody somewhere back then decided that we can't handle dense lists, plus they are all desperate to turn everything into a phone. 

This. 100% this!

Still looking for a more condensed skin. Maybe someone else can help?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

This. 100% this!

Still looking for a more condensed skin. Maybe someone else can help?

Please be patient.

 

 ..Al

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Albert said:

 

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous.  Going to ask the skin designer (whom I've already paid a handsome sum of money to)  to clean up some of these pages.  I'm working on a list of changes for the desktop skin as well.

Would I be able to use the condensed mobile skin on my desktop too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Would I be able to use the condensed mobile skin on my desktop too?

It doesn't quite work that way..  The skin changes depending on the width of the device, and will follow different paths to create an optimal view for the display being used.  So if a theme is optimized for a mobile device, those changes won't necessarily reflect when using a desktop (or tablet). 

 

 ..Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

This. 100% this!

Still looking for a more condensed skin. Maybe someone else can help?

I have to agree, but then again as Al mentioned not everything is done yet.  I'm holding off on any judgement until everything finished, then I'll make suggestions.  Until then I'm just looking for bugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Albert said:

Any PMs that were sent after the forum initially was taken down to begin the upgrade process would be lost.  At that point the forum database was exported and copied to this server so the upgrade could be performed on it.  I left the old forum online in a read-only state, except for PMs and the Announcements forum so people could at least use those two areas during the upgrade.

 

 ..Al

 

Ok got it. Thanks for the info. Also of note, I am not able to edit older posts of mine, which I've always been able to do as a subscriber. It's especially useful to edit the top post in a thread in the marketplace with updated inventory, etc. Is this no longer permitted with the new software? Or perhaps there's a new limit to how old the most can be to be able to edit? I see where it's letting me edit posts I made on June 5, 2019, but not a marketplace post that I've been continuously editing since last November...

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sixersfan105 said:

Also of note, I am not able to edit older posts of mine, which I've always been able to do as a subscriber. It's especially useful to edit the top post in a thread in the marketplace with updated inventory, etc. Is this no longer permitted with the new software? Or perhaps there's a new limit to how old the most can be to be able to edit? I see where it's letting me edit posts I made on June 5, 2019, but not a marketplace post that I've been continuously editing since last November...

This was something I added to the earlier forum, and I did so by directly modifying the forum source code.  These changes have to be rewritten from scratch for the new software, and that can only be done once I study the forum frameworks and API.  I may see if I can get a third-party developer to code this for me in the interest of time. If you need changes to a post, please send me a PM and I can help you directly. 

 

 ..Al

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albert, would it be possible to post your to-do list as a sticky someplace? Maybe call it "known issues?"

There are a few FAQs that keep coming up, and this thread is getting too long to expect people to read the whole thing before asking questions. 

 

I'd be willing to help if you want it. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flojomojo said:

Albert, would it be possible to post your to-do list as a sticky someplace? Maybe call it "known issues?"

There are a few FAQs that keep coming up, and this thread is getting too long to expect people to read the whole thing before asking questions. 

 

I'd be willing to help if you want it. 

Yes, I actually plan on doing that.  

 

 ..Al

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Albert said:

This was something I added to the earlier forum, and I did so by directly modifying the forum source code.  These changes have to be rewritten from scratch for the new software, and that can only be done once I study the forum frameworks and API.  I may see if I can get a third-party developer to code this for me in the interest of time. If you need changes to a post, please send me a PM and I can help you directly. 

 

 ..Al

Ok got it. Many thanks! I'm glad it will be added back in in time. I'll probably just create a new listing to make things easier. I don't want to waste your time on a small thing like manually editing my post :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Albert said:

I have fixed Facebook and Twitter logins, and also added Google as a login option.  

 

 ..Al

This seems to work. Who can see which accounts are attached? Public? Members? Admins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've got mixed feelings about this new skin on the forums. It looks (on a 1080p monitor) like a mobile site being loaded in a desktop browser, everything is huge and spread out, with a ton of wasted space. I have to zoom out to 80% to try to make it look a bit more like a desktop site.

Edited by Guspaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

This seems to work. Who can see which accounts are attached? Public? Members? Admins?

Only admins. 

 

 ..Al

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Guspaz said:

I've got mixed feelings about this new skin on the forums. It looks like a mobile site being loaded in a desktop browser, everything is huge and spread out, with a ton of wasted space. I have to zoom out to 80% to try to make it look a bit more like a desktop site.

What you see today is probably not the final result, it's still being worked on. Others have expressed the same concerns about the  s p r e a d  of everything in the new theme, especially on mobile. 

 

The other installed themes are a little tighter, particularly the Invision default theme. I prefer the AA theme though and will stick with it thru the changes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Guspaz said:

I've got mixed feelings about this new skin on the forums. It looks (on a 1080p monitor) like a mobile site being loaded in a desktop browser, everything is huge and spread out, with a ton of wasted space. I have to zoom out to 80% to try to make it look a bit more like a desktop site.

 

I don't agree with this entirely.  It's only slightly more spread out compared to the stock Invision skin (I just took a look and compared a few longer pages).  I've enabled the Invision skin if anyone wants to use that.  Doesn't have the 3 pixel blue borders, so some may prefer it.  I'll probably customize it slightly (to update the colors, add the AtariAge logo to the top), but that's it..  You can choose different themes at the bottom-left corner of the page :

 

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.22.33 PM.png

 

I will work on tightening up the AtariAge skin a bit, most especially on mobile, but I can make improvements in this area for desktop as well.  it's going to be several days before I can really sit down and look at this closely, though. 

 

 ..Al

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

What you see today is probably not the final result, it's still being worked on. Others have expressed the same concerns about the  s p r e a d  of everything in the new theme, especially on mobile. 

 

The other installed themes are a little tighter, particularly the Invision default theme. I prefer the AA theme though and will stick with it thru the changes.

Heh, funny you said that after I just looked at the Invision theme..  That theme certainly has more white space in areas, but I think the fonts are a bit smaller.  I don't really like that theme too much as I feel it's very bland. 

 

 ..Al

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Albert, would it be possible to post your to-do list as a sticky someplace? Maybe call it "known issues?"

I'll probably install a third-party app for managing stuff like this.. 

 

Ugh, I need to fix that header in that box above this..  That is horrible. 

 

 ..Al

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'll probably install a third-party app for managing stuff like this.. 

 

Ugh, I need to fix that header in that box above this..  That is horrible. 

 

 ..Al

 

That sounds like a plan. I’ve seen that illegible color scheme elsewhere. I think it was the Clubs list. Blue on black, low contrast. Should be white text I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...