TIX

Panama Joe face lift

9 minutes ago, ascrnet said:

You are totally wrong, the version is Preliminary Monty

I was referring to post 2. Anyway with only 2 versions it's clear which one it is.

12 minutes ago, ascrnet said:

The reason it was compressed is

I though is was compressed for cassette compatibility.

Posted (edited)

The "Preliminary Monty" reference stuck because the crackers who first "distributed" the game added that to the intro and shortened "Montezuma" to "Monty" so it could fit on a single line of text while the game was being loaded. As a title, not only does Preliminary Monty mean absolutely nothing but it's misleading as well. The big version with the animated intro is the prototype and the so-called Preliminary Monty is the same as the commercial edition of Montezuma's Revenge by Parker Brothers.

Edited by www.atarimania.com
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Robert Jaeger for quite a some time is working on new incarnation of Montezu, unfortunately not for Atari, but I recall it must be finishing off Montezuma's Revenge.

Maybe based on this, when it's ready, we could have completed version of Montezuma's Revenge, too?

Preliminary Monty (16k) although a finished game, for me simply wasn't THAT Montezuma, missing the element of unknown adventure and mystery 🙂

Edited by Jacques

On 5/23/2020 at 12:18 PM, www.atarimania.com said:

The "Preliminary Monty" reference stuck because the crackers who first "distributed" the game added that to the intro and shortened "Montezuma" to "Monty" so it could fit on a single line of text while the game was being loaded. As a title, not only does Preliminary Monty mean absolutely nothing but it's misleading as well. The big version with the animated intro is the prototype and the so-called Preliminary Monty is the same as the commercial edition of Montezuma's Revenge by Parker Brothers.

By the way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montezuma's_Revenge_(video_game)

The game's title references a colloquial expression for diarrhea contracted while visiting Mexico.

??