IGNORED

Is there an easy way to show just unread topics?

Flojomojo

I like the new site design, and I really appreciate all the work to get us here. 

I’m missing one thing that’s important to me, though. Maybe it’s already here but I can’t find it? Or maybe there’s another way to get the same effect but I haven’t learned how to do it yet. Or perhaps in planning but not yet implemented?

My my favorite way to browse AA for many years was to hit the “show news posts” button, which gave me a consolidated list of everything I’ve not yet read in the categories that interest me, while leaving out those that don’t?

Maybe this was a custom script on the old site?

• Like 3

I have the exact same problem. The 'Unread Content' is the solution I found - you can even select read content as well by the way - but I realized you need to be logged in... -_-'

It may not be a problem for most people, but since I use AtariAge as one of my primary sources for my retrogaming web site, I prefer to visit the forums unlogged since some content (especially downloads) is locked if you're not a registered member.

• Like 1

Oh, I see the difference now.  Unread Content includes blogs and things that aren't just topics.  d'oh

I created my own stream called "Unread Topics" and it just gives me that--no blog posts or whatever.  It also let me set it up so a click would take me to the first unread post.  Here's the settings:

Edit:  I think I replicated it, below.

1447509927_unreadTopicscreate.thumb.jpg.1c9be2e233bcce83dabfc950983fe6b9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

I created my own stream called "Unread Topics" and it just gives me that--no blog posts or whatever.  It also let me set it up so a click would take me to the first unread post.  Here's the settings:

Glad you were able to figure it out.  It's certainly more complex than it was before, but it's quite useful in that there's more flexibility and can save and name your own streams.  I can also create some additional default streams, such as the "Unread Topics" stream you've created above, since that's what most people are likely to want (seeing unread topics).  I'm not sure if I can make them available to those who are not logged in -- it's possible the forum is relying on information stored in the database to keep track of topics you've viewed, as opposed to using cookies to do that in the past (or some combination of the database and cookies). 

..Al

7 minutes ago, Osgeld said:

there's a link at the bottom of the forum for unread

It's also at the top of the page.

I'll likely create an "Unread Topics" stream as one of the defaults people can choose from, since that seems to be a common request.  The "Unread Content" is similar (and can easily be customized), but will show content across all the different areas of the forum (forums, blogs, gallery, status updates, etc).  But since forum posts are by far the most active of these items, you'll see more of those than anything else in "Unread Content".

..Al

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Oh, I see the difference now.  Unread Content includes blogs and things that aren't just topics.  d'oh

Edit:  I think I replicated it, below.

1447509927_unreadTopicscreate.thumb.jpg.1c9be2e233bcce83dabfc950983fe6b9.jpg

I think this is what I need to do — presumably from a computer. I haven’t actually seen the new site from anything except my phone. ?

• Like 1

As an aside--I don't have it checked in the Create New Stream screenshot but I set mine up so I could just click on the topic and it would take me to the first unread comment, as below:

35 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Sorry for the delay.  In reference to being able to click on the topic and go directly to the first unread post instead of top-of-page.

To modify the default directly (but can't save over the defaults , of course):  

1870647876_firstunreadcomment1.thumb.jpg.aafd815cf6333d569917e4ee3ebabf68.jpg

To do it via a custom stream:

1357102736_firstunreadcomment2.jpg.89c55821c8386478504e8c7122b8e6dc.jpg