Sign in to follow this  
JohnPolka

Message Base Archives

Does anyone have links or files that contain archived BBS messages? If so, post them here. The following is a link to an online message base archive for the Basement BBS. It contains messages from 1988 - 1993. The message bases from the 90s are also accessible on the Basement BBS. The messages from the 80s are from the original BBS Express version of the Basement BBS. Those messages are only available on the website.

http://basementbbs.loginto.me:7000/basement-msgs/index.html

Attached is one of my favorite archived messages. We all take for granted that everyone understands emoticons in online communication. According to the attached archived message, that was not the case in 1992. :) 

-JP

emoticons.jpg

• Like 1

I had Fidonet/AtariNet/NeST/RPGNet/etc. archives from back in the 90's... I just wish I had archived more than the last 250-500 messages... :(  Especially the AtariNet and NeST.....

Might get around to making it downloadable in an archive someday..... someday......

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

I had Fidonet/AtariNet/NeST/RPGNet/etc. archives from back in the 90's... I just wish I had archived more than the last 250-500 messages... :(  Especially the AtariNet and NeST.....

Might get around to making it downloadable in an archive someday..... someday......

Storage wasn't as large and cheap as it is today...otherwise, I'm sure we all would have more messages archived. :) 

-JP

This blog post has a couple archived messages and a good list of handles from the Atari scene in the late 80s. I'm sure many of you will see some familiar names and handles here. :) 

https://hoydich.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/death-star-bbs-1987/

I got a kick out of seeing "The Countess!!" listed. She ran "Cobra Command" in the Cleveland 216 area code. It was a hard BBS to get onto. My access didn't last long. She got mad at me when I accidentally called her "The Countless" in the message bases. :)  "The Mighty Atar" ran an incredibly awesome ATASCII-only BBS called "Nuclear Hell" in the Cleveland 216 area code. I'd love to find him and see if he has anything left from his BBS. The ATASCII was amazing and the BBS was custom written and had some cutting edge features like random encounters and terrorism (i.e., user to user pranks). I used to know his real name, but I've forgotten it...otherwise, I might have been able to track him down. :)

-JP

Sign in to follow this