IGNORED

Anyone for a little benchmarking?

13 hours ago, 777ismyname said:

Advan with the screen on does the 8k Sieve program on it's disk 1 in 2.7 seconds using the optimizing compiler.

Yes, ADVAN is able to crank it out in 1.83 secs, when re-directing all available clock-time to main CPU (which is done directly from test). ADVAN developer knew about the "elasticity" of the A800 power-band, which is today even MORE valuable, as most I/O operations (HD-based) are CPU bound and are also substantially accelerated by temporarily shutting down Antic-DMA. There are multiple instances where static screen updating is not needed at all, thus boosting performance up to 30-40% (!!!)

And I meant to come back here and also set the record straight for ADVAN. Such super-low time (1.83 secs) is only achieved with what it seems machine-code from its optimized-compiler, which is NOT the same as p-code produced by its 1st-level compiler, or even that of MMG or FastBasic. Nevertheless, ADVAN puts the A800's 1.79Mhz 6502 on-par with the best timing I've been able to get from Microsoft Basic Compiler for CP/M (Bascom), running on my ramcharged Indus/GTs 4Mhz Z80s (1.75 secs, there, from true machine-code generated by Microsoft).

After working with Advan, and looking at its extensive list of Basic statements / commands support, as well as compiling prowess, it becomes very clear how AMBITITOUS that project was... SO MUCH, in fact, that it comes with a complete operational framework, with its own MEMORY and OS management, Floating-Point package, I/O and Disk Operating System, in-line editor, and runtime / executable formats....

BUT, unfortunately, such monumental effort (required to handle the inherently large sizes and complexity of its main modules), eventually come in the way by isolating itself from a modern environment like SDX, from where you CANNOT even access its disks on their supplied format. It then becomes really cumbersome to simply share files in plain text, let alone editing outside of Advan, on more powerful editing tools. Furthermore, soft-loading OSs (which do work with MMG and FastBasic really well) do not work with ADVAN because of its proprietary RAM-under-OS memory manager.

Anyhow, ADVAN is in fact a GREAT piece of work, capable of cranking out impressive speeds (on targeted sections of code), especially when dealing with linear data-structures in RAM or integer-based computations. To access its own FP-pack code during compile, the option "/F" needs to be attached at the end of the file-name to be compiled. Timings are not as fast as (for instance) Altirra-OS 2K FP pack.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Yes, ADVAN is able to crank it out in 1.83 secs, when re-directing all available clock-time to main CPU (which is done directly from test). ADVAN developer knew about the "elasticity" of the A800 power-band, which is today even MORE valuable, as most I/O operations (HD-based) are CPU bound and are also substantially accelerated by temporarily shutting down Antic-DMA. There are multiple instances where static screen updating is not needed at all, thus boosting performance up to 30-40% (!!!)

And I meant to come back here and also set the record straight for ADVAN. Such super-low time (1.83 secs) is only achieved with what it seems machine-code from its optimized-compiler, which is NOT the same as p-code produced by its 1st-level compiler, or even that of MMG or FastBasic. Nevertheless, ADVAN puts the A800's 1.79Mhz 6502 on-par with the best timing I've been able to get from Microsoft Basic Compiler for CP/M (Bascom), running on my ramcharged Indus/GTs 4Mhz Z80s (1.75 secs, there, from true machine-code generated by Microsoft).

After working with Advan, and looking at its extensive list of Basic statements / commands support, as well as compiling prowess, it becomes very clear how AMBITITOUS that project was... SO MUCH, in fact, that it comes with a complete operational framework, with its own MEMORY and OS management, Floating-Point package, I/O and Disk Operating System, in-line editor, and runtime / executable formats....

BUT, unfortunately, such monumental effort (required to handle the inherently large sizes and complexity of its main modules), eventually come in the way by isolating itself from a modern environment like SDX, from where you CANNOT even access its disks on their supplied format. It then becomes really cumbersome to simply share files in plain text, let alone editing outside of Advan, on more powerful editing tools. Furthermore, soft-loading OSs (which do work with MMG and FastBasic really well) do not work with ADVAN because of its proprietary RAM-under-OS memory manager.

Anyhow, ADVAN is in fact a GREAT piece of work, capable of cranking out impressive speeds (on targeted sections of code), especially when dealing with linear data-structures in RAM or integer-based computations. To access its own FP-pack code during compile, the option "/F" needs to be attached at the end of the file-name to be compiled. Timings are not as fast as (for instance) Altirra-OS 2K FP pack.

Yes, it is especially fast with the screen turned off. Advan was indeed ambitious! I've played around a lot with it this winter. Hopefully I will get around to finishing my version of the Imagine game Cosmic Ark, with an additional couple of screens. The only problem I've had with it on real hardware is that it doesn't play well with some modified operating systems. In case you haven't seen it, dmsc put out a new version of Fast Basic last night.

• 7 months later...