IGNORED

SDrive-MAX (J) Duplicate Disk option w/ERROR -139

NISMOPC

OK, so now that I have my replacement SDrive-MAX built and working properly, I am trying to image a floppy disk from one of my 1050's to a new ATR image on the SDrive-MAX. All sio communications are working. I am able to switch from drive to drive, load from all drives, read from all drives, etc. (via SDrive-MAX and both 1050's). So I know there are no SIO communications issues.

I have tried several different options with below steps and continually get ERROR -139 

Load DOS 2.5 via 1050 Drive 1

Create new image and format via SDM Drive 2

Swap DOS 2.5 floppy with floppy I want to image

Option (J) Duplicate Disk

Source,Destination D1,D2 [ENTER]

I've tried duplicating floppy from 1050 Drive 1 to SDM Drive 2, 1050 Drive 2 to SDM Drive 1, etc. etc.

I've also tried loading DOS 2.5 from SDM Drive 1, emptying that drive and duplicating from 1050 to SDM Drive 2.

Every time it reads the source floppy, then beeps and spits out the error message. Nothing else happens.

I have no issues duplicating disks from 1050 Drive 1 to 1050 Drive.

NOTE: I always turn off whatever physical 1050 drive I am using in SDM so there are no conflicts with drive #'s

Error-133 Device or file not open.

This error occurs when truing to access a file or device that has not been OPENed. A common cause of this is a mistake in your file specification, either on OPEN or when trying to access the device.

Check the disk types of virtual and real floppies - Error 139 can occur if you try to access sectors outside the normal 720 that 810 type disks are limited to.  Also note Dos 2.5 can't deal with double density disks either (720 sectors @ 256 bytes per sector)

Re SIO comms - you don't really need to check every emulated drive on an emulated physical type, if SIO works for drive 1 then it should be fine for the remainder.

But as you said, there's potential for problem if there's multiple devices of the same ID that can respond to commands.

Very weird. I just tried it and it seemed to work without issue.

What I did:

• Boot D1: with a DOS 2.5 image
  • Swap that image to the D2: slot, leaving D1: open
  • Use the SDM "New" menu command to create a new disk
  • Use the DOS 2.5 format command to format (I) the new .ATR in the D1: slot, which makes the >NEW< image appear with the "SDMxxxxxx" filename 
  • Use the DOS 2.5 duplicate disk command (J) to copy D2: (my previously-booted DOS 2.5 image) to D1: (the newly-created disk image).

It took a few minutes on my 48K 800 that I happened to be using, but it worked fine. Both disks have the same content, and the newly-created image is in fact bootable - I powered off my 800 and rebooted with the new image still in D1:. 

6 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Very weird. I just tried it and it seemed to work without issue.

What I did:

• Boot D1: with a DOS 2.5 image
  • Swap that image to the D2: slot, leaving D1: open
  • Use the SDM "New" menu command to create a new disk
  • Use the DOS 2.5 format command to format (I) the new .ATR in the D1: slot, which makes the >NEW< image appear with the "SDMxxxxxx" filename 
  • Use the DOS 2.5 duplicate disk command (J) to copy D2: (my previously-booted DOS 2.5 image) to D1: (the newly-created disk image).

It took a few minutes on my 48K 800 that I happened to be using, but it worked fine. Both disks have the same content, and the newly-created image is in fact bootable - I powered off my 800 and rebooted with the new image still in D1:. 

I am able to do this within the Sdrive-Max. It's when I am trying to copy a physical floppy disk to the newly created image. I didn't see you mention anything about physical floppies in your post.

18 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Check the disk types of virtual and real floppies - Error 139 can occur if you try to access sectors outside the normal 720 that 810 type disks are limited to.  Also note Dos 2.5 can't deal with double density disks either (720 sectors @ 256 bytes per sector)

Re SIO comms - you don't really need to check every emulated drive on an emulated physical type, if SIO works for drive 1 then it should be fine for the remainder.

But as you said, there's potential for problem if there's multiple devices of the same ID that can respond to commands.

These floppies I have (new old stock) are what I've used forever since the 80's. I've copied images from 1050 to 1050 on them a few times. Didn't think it would be any different using them to copy to a SDrive-Max image.

I tried to use the 1050 option in the [cfg] menu as well to see if any changes, but nothing. 

Try to see if you can write to this blank ATR on your SDrive-MAX.  It is DOS 2.5 formatted "extended density".  I would also leave the 1050 compatibility switched on the SDrive-MAX just 'cause.  It probably shouldn't make a difference but I'd try it anyway so that both drives are acting like 1050s.

ATR empty 1.atr

Edited by SS
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SS said:

Try to see if you can write to this blank ATR on your SDrive-MAX.  It is DOS 2.5 formatted "extended density".  I would also leave the 1050 compatibility switched on the SDrive-MAX just 'cause.  It probably shouldn't make a difference but I'd try it anyway so that both drives are acting like 1050s.

ATR empty 1.atr 130.02 kB · 0 downloads

Will give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks

1 hour ago, NISMOPC said:

I am able to do this within the Sdrive-Max. It's when I am trying to copy a physical floppy disk to the newly created image. I didn't see you mention anything about physical floppies in your post.

Ah, I missed that point. I don't have a physical drive connected to my 800 ATM. I can move my SDrive-Max to another machine and test further. :) 

As they say, "Stay tuned ..." :) 

EDIT: Okay, this is weird. I first booted to DOS 2.5 on my Atari with a DOS 2.5 image in D1: on the SDrive-MAX, then ejected that image and created another >NEW< disk image with the SDrive-MAX in the D1: slot. I used DOS to format the new image, then tried to duplicate the floppy in my physical D2: drive to the new image I had created in the D1: slot. I got ERROR 139. Then I tried again with the same newly-created image I had just used and got ERROR 140. I tried a 3rd time and got ERROR 140 again. Then I rebooted the Atari and tried with that very same disk image I had created and formatted and the duplication from physical disk to SDrive-MAX worked fine. 

15 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Ah, I missed that point. I don't have a physical drive connected to my 800 ATM. I can move my SDrive-Max to another machine and test further. :) 

As they say, "Stay tuned ..." :) 

You going to VCFMW this year?

25 minutes ago, Stephen said:

You going to VCFMW this year?

I wish! I don't think I'll be taking a vaycay this year unfortunately. MrsVenkman has made it 100% clear that any trip we make further than a day trip will be to Harry Potter World in Orlando so ... lol. ? 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SS said:

ATR empty 1.atr 130.02 kB · 0 downloads

1 hour ago, NISMOPC said:

Will give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks

Now that I think of it, that ATR has a small autorun.sys program on it.  You may want to delete that file first before trying to write to it.  

SOLVED: Guess you can teach an old dog "old" tricks. I did not pay attention to the sectors on the disk I was attempting to image. Finally took a look and added up all the files. 707 sectors. SOB! I was trying to duplicate a physical SD image to a DD formatted disk on the SDrive-Max.

Anyhow, I created a <new> image and formatted it single D and all is well. Duplicated the 1050 physical floppy without any issues.

My S-Drive is operating as it should be and I finally figured out what was wrong. Me...  ;-)  ...back to the basics.

Guys, I appreciate all the information you provided and to Rybags...

On 6/22/2019 at 9:55 PM, Rybags said:

...I should have paid a little more attention to this. I was using 1050, but this should have given me the proper insight into actual issue and I overlooked.

EDIT: This was all while using DOS 2.5 for those interested.

Edited by NISMOPC
  • Like 1