IGNORED

Cool Idea ( Game selection menu's)

Shannon

I was reading the DinAtari Pacman 2600 thread ( great port by the way ) and people were discussing the difference between the arcade ports and the arcade games.  In addition to the decisions made to accommodate the limitations of the 2600 hardware.  Anywho one thing that came up was game variations and I got to thinking.  A lot of the more modern homebrew 2600 titles have title screens where the options can be selected.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone went through the classic Atari games and added a main menu where a player could just select the options and then it would start the appropriate "version" based on the game select chart that would come with the manual.  One thing I always find myself doing is having to look the chart up because I can't remember which game "variation" I like.

Just a thought..

Hammer / Chisel away at my idea.... :P

54 minutes ago, Inky said:

I think this has been discussed recently.

It has (more than once I think), but I can't find threads right now.

The gist of though is that, yeah, it's not as simple as just tacking a menu screen onto the beginning of the game. It would be pretty labor intensive. (I'm sure someone far more qualified than myself will stop by to explain the nuts and bolts of it.)

Update - Found one of the threads:

Thanks for bursting my bubble guys!  :lol:   And here I thought I had an original idea.. :P 

But thanks for the thread links I'll be sure to read them.

I'm not sure why this popped in my head?  Maybe it's because I've been testing DPC games in stella which have the nice fancy menu's.  Maybe it is because I wanted to added a matrix option in Z26x for the xbox but never got around to it other than preliminary code.  Who knows.  :)