IGNORED

Bruce Lee retweaked sprites

TIX

1 hour ago, TIX said:

what you say doesn't make sense, I was talking about the Lego man frame..

Bruce: when you press up, the frame changes to 'Lego' Bruce (1), and then it proceeds to coiling (2) and jumping (3), falling back down reverses the steps.

bruce_jump.JPG.027e3f81d7bfd15084168a218f934a66.JPG

same for Yamo: when you press up, the frame changes to falling Yamo (1), and then it proceeds to coiling (2) and jumping (3), falling back down reverses the steps.

Yamo_jump.JPG.0f8bc807fffd07d9d36470ee70b6e350.JPG

If I change 'Lego' Bruce frame with a death frame, it will mess up the whole sequence..

Help anyone ?

Yes you are right ... I am very surprised, but the death frame is reused during the jump animation!

The complete animation is as follows:

image.png.7d4c0e34ac74f83008ecf40471a8f24a.png

Of course, it is possible to change that, but I do not know if it's worth it ...

P.S. For those who are familiar with debugging in Altirra, it is possible to display the current frame number with the following command:

For Bruce:

ba -n w $7806 ".printf 'Frame=%02x' db($7806)"

For Yamo:

ba -n w $7807 ".printf 'Frame=%02x' db($7807)"

For the ninja:

ba -n w $7808 ".printf 'Frame=%02x' db($7808)"

• Like 4

image.jpeg.2313036d3af927b21b50941e21eb746a.jpeg

you could change the pointer for death at number 4 or the last one #16

then put the arms down at the sides on  #5

dead Bruce on the ground makes sense since you must recycle...

If you're heart is set on making the change that's about as logical a scenario as any...  but when you die in the air... you sure will look funny in the lying down position in the air...

perhaps a change to the code and a specific dead bruce frame for it would need be added...

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 hours ago, TIX said:

what you say doesn't make sense, I was talking about the Lego man frame..

Bruce: when you press up, the frame changes to 'Lego' Bruce (1), and then it proceeds to coiling (2) and jumping (3), falling back down reverses the steps.

bruce_jump.JPG.027e3f81d7bfd15084168a218f934a66.JPG

same for Yamo: when you press up, the frame changes to falling Yamo (1), and then it proceeds to coiling (2) and jumping (3), falling back down reverses the steps.

Yamo_jump.JPG.0f8bc807fffd07d9d36470ee70b6e350.JPG

If I change 'Lego' Bruce frame with a death frame, it will mess up the whole sequence..

Help anyone ?

It's wrong because he goes from straight legs pushed together to instantly being in a crouch with not only his legs bending, which would be fine, but his feat are suddenly apart too! Either the feat and legs need some separation in the first frame, or the feet need to be close together still in the second frame, which would also go better with the third frame where his heels are together as he flexes his feet upward.

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, fantômas said:

Yes you are right ... I am very surprised, but the death frame is reused during the jump animation!

Of course, it is possible to change that, but I do not know if it's worth it ...

For me the death frame can be removed entirely from the jump sequence and it will only make it better !

As long as it is possible and not a huge hassle of course..

The same goes for Yamo's jump, watch it in slow motion to see it !

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, TIX said:

For me the death frame can be removed entirely from the jump sequence and it will only make it better !

As long as it is possible and not a huge hassle of course..

The same goes for Yamo's jump, watch it in slow motion to see it !

I Changed two bytes in the XEX

At offset $00004670: $08 -> $1E
At offset $00004690: $08 -> $1E

$08=(2*4 = ) Frame 4   = Death Frame

$1E=(2*$F = ) Frame 15 = Coiling Frame

Bruce Lee (new Yamo-Ninja.fixed)-death-frame.xex

Edited by fantômas
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

take that to mean you are doing the other 3 bruce frames.

if Bruce is doing the side kick he has a need to be a pixel or two higher or his leg must come up... I see you have started to adjust that but somehow his side kick reach seems diminished. Not sure what can be done, it does seem to change game play slightly *tougher* but that might be a good thing, not sure.... I have to play some more to see.

perhaps slide the whole frame one pixel towards the extended foot side maybe?

or put the foot back on with two pixels high one even with the top of the leg and the other one pixel higher making a slight curve up? dunno

Edited by _The Doctor__

17 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

it does seem to change game play slightly *tougher* but that might be a good thing, not sure....

Yeah, I played the version with the new ninja and Yamo a couple of minutes and especially Yamo seemed a bit tougher to beat (or I just lost my touch :) ). I suppose the game engine checks for player collisions, so if the shapes change, the collisions occur at different places, which might be easier or tougher.

Anyway, even if it canges game play (which it seems to do), it's still a great effort! This'll just become TIX-modified Bruce Lee. And he seems to have acquired two new sprite "jobs" out of it, where these sprites are used in a different context, i.e. new games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TIX said:

currently trying to draw a more dynamic ducking move.. not sure yet, I have drawn over 50 variations,

also now (thanks to fantomas) we can have a separate death frame, so ?

Moving on

400491258_Brucesheet6JPG.thumb.JPG.57c9683c57517a12d7b0bdef844f96ea.JPG

Tix, as for the electrocuted Bruce , maybe if you use the brown color also for his pants and add some black marks , he would look like a full skeleton.....just a thought 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ivop said:

Yeah, I played the version with the new ninja and Yamo a couple of minutes and especially Yamo seemed a bit tougher to beat (or I just lost my touch :) ). I suppose the game engine checks for player collisions, so if the shapes change, the collisions occur at different places, which might be easier or tougher.

I confirm, the engine checks for player/missile collisions (MxPL and PxPL registers).

36 minutes ago, ivop said:

Anyway, even if it canges game play (which it seems to do), it's still a great effort! This'll just become TIX-modified Bruce Lee. And he seems to have acquired two new sprite "jobs" out of it, where these sprites are used in a different context, i.e. new games.

Yes, this is a great effort! Besides, I can offer him a third job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

Tix, as for the electrocuted Bruce , maybe if you use the brown color also for his pants and add some black marks , he would look like a full skeleton.....just a thought 

unfortunately I don't have brown available for his legs, I love working around the limitations !

2 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

its the same color the upper electrocuded body has (it looked brown to me :) )

It might still be that the body/skin color is not available in the legs region. But if it is, make him look like he pissed himself ;) ;)

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, TIX said:

wow ?

Of course, it would be nice to propose the new actors with the new maps that we are trying to create:

image.png.ece50145d928031ad68b75672a6c44e7.png

But it is too early: we are far from having enough material. Maybe in a few weeks if we progress enough ... and if you are interested of course ?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, fantômas said:

Of course, it would be nice to propose the new actors with the new maps that we are trying to create:

image.png.ece50145d928031ad68b75672a6c44e7.png

But it is too early: we are far from having enough material. Maybe in a few weeks if we progress enough ... and if you are interested of course ?

Hehe, add a teaser screenshot with a new sprite so it's basically an offer he can't resist ;)

Edited by ivop

2 hours ago, fantômas said:

of course I am, always interested for interesting projects ?

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1