IGNORED

Intellivision 1 controller inards cord

59 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Was looking up methods on how to rewire the block inside the controller.  How do you go about doing it?  I have a sears controller with a damaged head.  However, I looked at that block and thought it might not work again if I pull the wires out.  What is the "right" way to replace the cord?

Some pics would help in advising.

• Like 1

I will take a photo later, but the cord connects to a "block" that looks like a splice connector with metal "legs" which then press against the controller membrane.  I noticed that @mr_me had replaced a cord, so I thought he'd have some advice ready for me.  I'm not sure if you can pull the old wires out of that "block" or not, but mr_me seems to have done it, so I thought he could advise me.

29 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The plastic block is made of two pieces; an upper half and a lower half that clips on to the upper half.  Pull the clips back and it comes apart.

Ah ok - so you can pull the top half off of the lower half and expose the wires?

Here are a few pictures.  This is a Sears controller, but I believe it is the same in the Model 1

PXL_20210406_140100485.thumb.jpg.3c73d6aaca64566566406b59b04f1ec3.jpgPXL_20210406_140118248.thumb.jpg.f55de18e15f41318265ab90eea34b59f.jpg

So the "block" that I saw referred to in this thread . . . I assume that means the splice-connecting, black, plastic cube with the contact points coming out the top.  I'm not sure how to pull the clips back that @mr_me refers to or how to safely remove it.  The cord on this controller works, but I had to repair the actual cable and reshape the female connector (on the other end) to get it functioning again.  A dog had gotten hold of this one at some point.  Anyway, it would be nice to have a new cord in there, but I didn't want to try and pull apart something that wasn't meant to be disassembled.

BTW - that is 30 gauge wire in there which might be the smallest wire I've ever tried to repair.  It was a real "ship in a bottle" type operation to get the cord repaired nice and neat.

First take the cable and connector block out of the controller shell.  The connector block should just pull out, wiggle as necessary.  Then you should see how it's clipped together.  In the first photo, I can see one of the clips on the left side.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mr_me said:

First take the cable and connector block out of the controller shell.  The connector block should just pull out, wiggle as necessary.  Then you should see how it's clipped together.  In the first photo, I can see one of the clips on the left side.

Got it, I will give it a shot