IGNORED

NTSC vs PAL list?

haightc

Is there a list of games that PAL vs NTSC only?      I have an NTSC amiga cd32 and a PAL Amiga 600.    I find most of my original floppy games at NTSC and some of the run like poo on my 600 and have to boot into 1.3 so I can't select NTSC mode.   Now I haven't tried these floppy games yet on my CD32, I just bought a analogic floppy module of ebay but I haven't got it to work yet.   Plus I guessing originally floppy games wouldn't work as as far as I know there is no kickstart 1.3 for the CD32

Most games aren't all that fussy about Kickstart versions - it must be really old games that you're having trouble with. Anyway, there isn't a version of KS 1.3 for the CD32, but degrader software that loads KS1.3 from disk and uses it instead should work just fine. It'll take up some RAM, but the CD32 already has more than a standard 1.3-era machine so that shouldn't be an issue.

Check out Relokick for example.

As for the PAL/NTSC thing, I'm not sure if the CD32 will retain its setting when Relokick is used. Games I've seen tend to be either PAL or NTSC based on where the publisher was from, but even most PAL games typically run on a 200 pixel screen instead of 256, so they work on both formats.

I don't know of a comprehensive list anywhere - the two main games databases (HOL and LemonAmiga) don't carry video format tags.

For a bit more investment, perhaps a mass storage solution could be useful for you. That would let you run WHDLoad, which patches most games to run from hard drive on newer Kickstart versions and eliminates all the floppy disk loading times and disk swapping...

I might look at the relokick....   I have kick start images from AmigaForever but relokick isn't included the ADFs.   I've read that Relokick is freeware and just used with permission by clonato.    On the CD32 my TF330 came with a pre setup image that boots right into classicwb but is in default in PAL super interlaced which is super painful on the eyes.  The workbench come faster on the TF330 and than TF328 just by no longer need to wait for the much slower CPLD.   WHDload is probably not the most ideal for how I want to experience my amiga.  On the 600 it's going to try and boot the floppy first than more over to the hard drive, so using WHDload doesn't feel nearly as out of replace.  In the 600 I have one those premade dual kickstarts.   Since I running workbench 3.1.4.1 on my 600 I should go ahead an actually burn the 3.1.4 kickstart to the a fresh ROM.   In theory it looks like I might be able to overwrite the clonato kickstart 3.1 on existing dual boot but if I am going to run into PAL vs NTSC issues maybe I should just the newly burned single 3.1.4 rom.

Relokick sounds good if I can get a floppy going on the CD32.    I pickup up an analogic floppy adapter off ebay, but I haven't been able to get it going yet.   Gotek drive lights up on it and I get a status id I think it say e34 after f-f.     Not sure what that means, I need to look that up because I have never had one of this units before.    Personally I might just swap this back to a real floppy drive.     Then maybe I can play my NTSC games on the CD32 from original floppy using relokick.    

• 2 months later...

From my experience, there are actually a ton of games that are picky about which ROMs are in your Amiga (with 1.3 being the most compatible, by far).

As for the NTSC/PAL situation, you could hook a mouse up to the CD32, hold both mouse buttons, and select PAL from the menu that comes up. There's an expansion module that lets you hook a diskette drive up to the CD32.

http://amiga.resource.cx/manual/SX-1.pdf

And you're right, there isn't (to my knowledge) a Kick 1.3 option for the CD32.

Your best bet is to decrunch the PAL versions of the games to diskettes and run those on the A600 (pretty much every game ever released for the Amiga has a PAL variant), and maybe consider a ROM switcher for the 600. Or you could drop an 8372A blitter into a Rev.6 A500 and switch to PAL whenever you like (no cutting or soldering required).

ADF2Disk is your friend: