IGNORED

Omnivore 2 alpha

Omnivore 2 is still in heavy development, but finally warrants a public alpha. There are some features that are missing compared to Omnivore 1; my priority here was emulation and debugging with an eye on creating Jumpman levels with custom code. The ATasm MAC/65-compatible assembler is embedded, and Omnivore will notice file changes and automatically assemble your source code when you save it in your favorite editor.

The atari800 emulator core is also embedded, and currently you can step through the code and go back and forward in time (by frame) to compare the state of emulation. You can step by instruction and step to the start of the VBI or start of a frame, but that's about it for now. This week I am going to start dogfooding and creating some new Jumpman levels, and will be adding new debugging features as I go. I hope to eventually be able to step backward by instruction.

I don't have binaries available yet; for the moment you'll have to install from a command line. I realize this is a large barrier to entry, but it is only temporary. On the plus side, linux users do not any special prerequisite libraries or anything. You just have to have a working C compiler.

On Linux, Windows and MacOS the instructions are the same: you'll need python 3.6 or 3.7 (a Framework build on Mac, or use brew), then:

pip install numpy pathlib2 wxpython

pip install "omnivore==2.0a8"

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Any plans to add a compare option? I'd love to be able to load two xex's and see the differences between them in hex/disassembly/bitmap. great for spotting things like cracks or cheats

Yes, definitely in the plans since it will also be useful for comparing two checkpoints in the emulation.

• Like 2