Sign in to follow this  
DistantStar001

C-64 Black Screen and 5v Blinking?

Yeah you can solder a leg from a doner chip and it will hold, have done it many times. Trim the remaining leg from the good CIA but leave enough metal exposed at the base of the chip so you can get a doner leg on to it. Get your dead, doner chip and cut the leg right at the base..  this will give you enough metal to solder on to the CIA. You'll need some needle nose or long nose pliers or similar and a steady hand whilst you solder it to the base of the chip..  a clamp to gold the chip definitely helps too. ( Practise on the dead chip ).  Then trim the end of the leg so it's flush with the other pins once you're sure the pin is durable for insertion.

CPU is crashing so U13 & U25 are still a possibilities but in most cases a dead test cart should still work, something to keep in mind for later.

I can't think of anything else that could cause this issue other than a logic fault on the board but it seems you have shotgunned everything else that would cause this problem.

You've done a lot of work so I think it's time to take out the schematic and check your work, set your DMM to continuity test and verify no floating connections on the the data & address bus between all the chips where they interconnect. 

32 minutes ago, shoestring said:

... so I think it's time to take out the schematic and check your work, set your DMM to continuity test and verify no floating connections on the the data & address bus between all the chips where they interconnect. 

This, 100%. Just go brute-force and figure out WTF is going on.