IGNORED

Turgen System 8.6.13 Coming Soon

baktra

I installed Java and Turgen 8.6.16b on w10 64bit.

When I click on CAS, WAV... I get this error message:

Error messages

C:\Users\filip\Desktop\Test.xex
Unable to write tape image: java.io.FileNotFoundException:

Which is the best loader to quickly load a file on standard 1010?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Philsan said:

I installed Java and Turgen 8.6.16b on w10 64bit.

When I click on CAS, WAV... I get this error message:

Error messages

C:\Users\filip\Desktop\Test.xex
Unable to write tape image: java.io.FileNotFoundException:

Which is the best loader to quickly load a file on standard 1010?

Thanks!

It seems you neglected to specify output file in your playlist item.

TS comes with TSCBL loader. With 1010, you can specify up to 720 bps.

If you are looking for something more advanced, there is the SITRE system from Vitoco.

• Like 1

I found work on the Tape side creation tool very rewarding. So one more enhancement is in progress.

You will be able to customize how playlist items are listed in side listing using a mask with substitution symbols. And copy paste to your graphics editor you are using to create J-CARDS.

Moreover, instead of time (minutes/seconds), you will be able to include tape counter revolutions. The trouble is that tape counters are not standardized (belt fatigue is not standardized too). So you will need to take your stopwatch, measure how long it takes to make 10 revolutions and enter the value. Turgen will do the counting for you.

It would be an interesting experiment to find average values for popular data recorders (410, 1010, XC11, XC12 variants, XL12)

Symbol    Description
%f, %F    Full file name (original case, capitalized)
%n, %N    File name without extension (original case, capitalized)
%s        Start of the file (minutes, seconds)
%d        Duration of the file (minutes, seconds)
%cs       Start of the file (counter revolutions)
%cd       Duration of the file (counter revolutions)

Version 8.6.16c is out. As a word processor that allows to force a page break, this version allows to flag playlist items to force new tape side (like page break before).

The holy grail for the tape side function would be an optional ability to distribute the games among sides so that minimum number of sides is needed. It is a problem of bin packing that happens to be NP-Hard.

• Like 2

Aside from the holy grail, one more convenience feature is in progress. The Wizard for binary files will be extended to allow multiple input files (now it can do only one at the time)

So you will:

1. Summon the Wizard by clicking the Wizard button

2. Select tape loading system

3. Select multiple files (the file chooser allows that)

4. Click "Next" 

5. Select output directory

6. Click "Next"

7. Review the conversion results

8. Click "Finish". Your playlist items are ready.

So the 8.6.16d is ready for download for the daring users for testing.

Now you can use the Wizard to convert multiple files at once.

Step 1 - Opening the Wizard

large.wizard_multi_0.png.bd058202dab3a18698c70cc59df76142.png

Step 2 - Selecting Multiple Files

large.wizard_multi_1a.png.7b1a426ecb6cf1df279fd897b7480598.png

Step 3 - Back to the First Step. The list is populated with a strange syntax.

large.wizard_multi_1.png.c2957a9f4c6743bf1fdd3fd184f5f4f8.png

Step 4 - Selecting Additional Options

large.wizard_multi_2.png.356a234a22544cea194cb7bc7195c850.png

Step 5 - Reviewing Results

large.wizard_multi_3.png.73f8fc1662e0d001ae1bc51b87c4df03.png

• Like 3

After some time of hesitation, I have made a difficult decision.

From the next version (8.8.0), the Turbo Decoder tool will be shipped as a separate product and will start its own life in its own repository and distribution package.

The available functionality will not be reduced in any way, however.

I believe that separating the decoder will result in smaller and more organized code base with higher hopes of external contributions and accelerated development. That's why I am considering moving the decoder code to GitHub.

In 8.8.0, you can be looking forward to the Wizard for files, successor of the Wizard for Binary files. The new Wizard will allow you to process both binary files and tape images. Either one file, or multiple files. This way, dozens of files can be added to the playlist with just few clicks (and with no need for the tedious batch processing). The new Wizard also introduces ranking to evaluate conversion methods. Ranking goes beyond simple counting of pilot tones.

This is actually done. I am also considering support from Drag & Drop - You drop files at the playlist, and a Wizard for files window with pre-populated list of files will open.

Edited by baktra

So, Turgen System, like SFRY, FRY, CSR and USSR has been partially dissoluted ?

• The Republic of Turbo Decoder now starts its own life as an independent and "new" software here at github. Contributions and even forks are welcome. It is possible that the turbo decoder will annex the Tape Image Extractor province in near future.
  • The Turgen System Empire remains where it is as a successor software and will remain under a rule of certain enlightened absolutist.

Only time will tell if this was a good idea or the greatest software catastrophe of the century.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2020 at 10:23 AM, baktra said:

I think it would be a good idea to include the VisiCopy III loader (.rom and .xex) in the archive.

I also translated VisiCopy III to English, so it it will be more accessible.

Where is the translated rom / xex please  baktra?

32 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Where is the translated rom / xex please  baktra?

Here it comes

It is inside the big zip file : https://atari-owner.com/fun/Turgen-System/

Or, alternatively, you can download from http://baktra.webowna.cz/t2k/turbo2000.html. Look for visicopy3_en.rom and visicioy3_en.xex and download them.

Automatic translation of the page to English is tricky, because

"Kazeta" (Czech) == "Cartridge" (English)  or "Cassette" (English).

Edited by baktra
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can Turgen prepend generated wav with uniturbo_wave.zip? I have no T2000 cartridge and I want to try to load F15 Strike Eagle from cassette. Anyway I am struggling just to get it loaded into Altirra. I downloaded F15 form Fandal but can seem to find correct setting in Turgen 8.8.0 and Altirra 3.90 to get it loaded. So I made no tests with physical cassette yet.

13 hours ago, archeocomp said:

Can Turgen prepend generated wav with uniturbo_wave.zip? I have no T2000 cartridge and I want to try to load F15 Strike Eagle from cassette. Anyway I am struggling just to get it loaded into Altirra. I downloaded F15 form Fandal but can seem to find correct setting in Turgen 8.8.0 and Altirra 3.90 to get it loaded. So I made no tests with physical cassette yet.

The Turbo 2000, Super Turbo, Turbo 2000 kilobyte blocks and B-Tape plugins have an option to prepend tape version of the turbo loader. I will take a look at the specific file and get back to you.

I've tried with Altirra 3.90 and the emulator loads the tape normally.

1. The emulator should be configured to use the original Atari XL/XE OS (not Altirra OS, not QMEG) and to emulate XL/XE machine with 64 KB of RAM.

2. The cassette emulation is to be set as follows. The most important setting is the Turbo support: Enabled(command control)

f15_t1.thumb.png.aeec64abf95a245a77509a943855c0c5.png

3. The Turbo 2000 plugin must be configured to "Prepend the Universal Turbo loader", so that every file is preceded with a tape version of the Universal Turbo loader. 

f15_t3.thumb.png.9d7777fb24049ac47221ea5f924e7790.png

4. The playlist item is set-up as follows.

The .xex file from Fandal's site is not a monolithic binary file compatible with the original Turbo 2000 file format, so we have to use the BlockLoading conversion (which uses a special format, yet still ensures that loading can be initiated with the most rudimentary Turbo 2000 loader).

f15_t2.png.3e2ebc2b972a3faa62bba82467e25867.png

5. Make Altirra boot from the wave file with BASIC disabled

a) File>Cassette>Load... and browse for the wave file.

b) In the System menu, the Auto-boot tape (Hold start) item must be selected. 

c) In the System menu, the Internal BASIC (Boot without option key) must be not selected.

d) Perform cold start (SHIFT-F5)

First, the Universal Turbo Loader will be booted (two standard blocks + one turbo block with gray loading bars).

Then the game will be loaded (several turbo blocks, blue loading bars).

And since you understand Czech, I believe you know this guide.

Edited by baktra
Link to tape creation guide
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, baktra said:

"Prepend the Universal Turbo loader"

In case this is not clear.

To use this option, there is no need to download the uniturbo_wave.zip file. Turgen System has its own version "embedded".

Those of you who are curious, you can look inside the turgen.jar file and explore the turgen\plugin\csturbo\loaders\ folder.

You will find utloader1.bot which is a cassette boot file, and utloader2.bin which is the turbo part of the loader. The cassette boot file is a super-miniature turbo loader that just loads one turbo block, the other file is the universal turbo loader itself. This arrangement is faster than booting the universal turbo loader directly.

Thanks. I was bassically doing everything correctly - except Prepend the .. part.

I have successfully loaded F15 in real Atari now from generated wav. (but only once)

But I clearly have now a hardware problem. I can load and save standard 600bd records from BASIC just fine. But I am unable to load any turbo program from tape. Loading (turbo) programs from cassette adapter helps, but still is not OK every time. I guess this high noise floor is not normal

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1szc7RDV9FnlrMHFrg0_LSJHBtYw5IYH-/view?usp=sharing

My XC12 has T2000 modification, cause it has that capacitor mod in SIO connector and sometimes successfully loads turbo programs from cassette adapter. Problem is not on recorder side either. I can load any 600bd game from Turgen recorded on my high quality 3-header deck.

Edited by archeocomp

I am, unfortunately, no hardware expert.

Does the noise occur in every case (adapter, cassettes recorded by the Hi-Fi deck and standard records recorded by your XC12)?.

The noise can have three typical causes:

0. Turbo signal too weak on tape. This can be checked with your HiFi tape deck and its bar graphs. Not likely case, though.

1. Partially broken wires - typically very close to the SIO connector. Can be determined by bending the wire and observing changes

2. Missing RF shielding plate in the XC12. Typically harmless, though.

3. Dirty playback/recording mechanical switch in the XC12, dirty playback head.

4. Loose belts (when was the last time you replaced the belts?)

To make observations, you can do the following with cassette adapter:

1. Transfer uniturbo.xex from my page using the "Standard" plugin to Atari.

2. Computer beeps, the screen goes blank (and you will hear a lot of noise). Keep the adapter in the recorder.

3. Make Turgen generate continuous pilot tone. Tools > Pilot Tone Test... and then choose Turbo2000>T2270 and click "Play". Then you can play with volume, cable and position of the XC12 while observing loading bars on screen and using your ears for problem determination.

• 3 weeks later...