Sign in to follow this  
Atariboy

O's Musical Emporium

Copying over a popular thread from the sadly soon to be defunct PSPMinis.com forum. Hopefully it can continue to survive here at AtariAge.

1. Things have been getting pretty boring around here (and I'm actually really bored right now), so just like my necromancy thread, I'm doing something a little different in hopes of picking up the fun level.

Welcome to O's Musical Emporium!

Here I'll periodically post what I deem to be good music. Keep that in mind, it's what I think is good. It's also encouraged that you guys do the same. Make it a big ol' club up in here! You never know, you may find something new that you like, or get people interested in what you already do. Anything goes, but try not to be TOO outrageous. None of that kill a cop, devil is my savior type stuff.

First to the stage in the Emporium is a duo of Hip-Hop evil doers who go by the name of Madvillain. Legendary MC's and Producers DOOM and Madlib came together and in 2004 released their critically acclaimed album, Madvillainy.

And now I present one of that albums illest tracks, Fancy Clown. Performed by DOOM's alter ego, Viktor Vaughn, and produced by Madlib, the song tales the tale of a man who has had his heart broken by the one he loves. Cheating was her crime, and in an ironic twist of fate the man who she commited the crime with was the villain, DOOM.

Ladies and gentleman, Fancy Clown.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  2. That was pretty cool Ofaliss. Do we just link random music that we listen to?

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  3. Yup. Whatever you think is good and want to share, just link it.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  4. I am a music fan, so this is probably the best thread ever. I will link something tommorow, I am on my PSP so I can't link anything.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  5. I'm hoping the others participate too. I'm always on the hunt for new music.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  6. Type this on youtube or grooveshark, ''Brooken Hands'' by Lamb of God. I will probably link it tommorow. I just love Metal it pumps me up and to me this is my favorite song.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  7. ecc2d1477963a003783b3dcfe924876e?s=48&d=

Nexus Prime

I'll go out on a limb and guess that Viktor Vaughn and DOOM is a play on Victor Von Doom aka Dr.Doom.

Here's mine.
    Megadeth - Washington is Next

Being into what's being said gets me more into the music. I seems to prefer songs that talk about what most don't have the balls (or brains) to talk about. In this case politcs and religion.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  8. ecc2d1477963a003783b3dcfe924876e?s=48&d=

Nexus Prime

One more.

Muse - Uprising

Considering what the song talks about, ironically and sadly most people don't get it.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  9. Nexus Prime, I love your taste. The Megadeth one is awsome.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #

I'll go out on a limb and guess that Viktor Vaughn and DOOM is a play on Victor Von Doom aka Dr.Doom.

Yup! It was one of the things that attracted me to him, his unorthodox style is what kept me coming back.

Very nice pick, Nexus. It's hard not to like a song that speaks out against the BS governments are known for. I hear a lot of music now that pretends to speak out or on touchy subjects. But it mostly lacks sincerity. It's just a pile of what the people want to hear, when they want to hear it. So it's always good to hear music that actually tries to inform and get people stirred up about something.

huicho, I like the dark nature of Broken Hands. It's the kind of song I like to listen to when I'm in a, man has disappointed me, kind of mood. And since I'm often in that mood, I may go ahead and download it from Amazon.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  11. 86a9e8258722045d60502a14ccecb780?s=48&d=

JeremyR

I mostly listen to DJ shows these days. Mostly trance.

Suzy Solar is probably my favorite. As far as I know, her show is the second longest running trance show (next to AvB's A State of Trance).

Also usually listen to http://zoltar.podomatic.com/">Zoltar's Subterranean. He used to be the program director of the trance station on Sirius Radio, which used to be on DirecTV (which I have). But then they merged and the channel was no more.

And a host of other shows from Crystal Clouds, they have legal radio show downloads from a host of fairly lesser known DJs. Manuel Le Saux, Angel Ace, Kaneda, ReOrder are my favorites there.

Actually, I have a Last FM page - http://www.last.fm/user/DiscoJer

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  12. I really like this song by cast, used in the opening sequence of Omega Boost in Europe. ;)

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  13. This is Broken Hands By Lamb of God, the one I posted earlier.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  14. Here is another song I really liked. Shout by Black Tide.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  15. I'm dealing with a mostly Metal crowd, huh? That puts me somewhere near no mans land, since it's pretty low on my preferred music list.

I do listen to it a little, but it's usually from Japanese Metal bands. I find it creeps me out less if I don't know what they are saying! :D

Here's one of my favs from a band known as Dir En Grey. It's called, Dozing Green.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  16. Ofaliss, I have never heard of Japenese metal bands, I would love it if you would link me some more songs that you liked. I listen to metal often, I just love the hate filled lyrics, growling voices, and most of all, their bada$$ attitude. My dream is to go to ozzfest. I also listen to Dubstep but, I am a headbanger all the way.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  17. I'll see what I have when I get home, but I don't think I have very many Japanese metal songs, I may not have anymore. But I'll see what I can find.

Here are some other songs that I enjoy.

Jesus - This one is from Gackt. His music tends to be on the Rock/Pop side. Chicks love him like nobodies business.

Good Luck - This one is from Electronic duo Basement Jaxx. It features the soulful Lisa Kekaula.

Verbal - Love this one. It's by Amon Tobin, or as I like to call him, Mr. Toonami Himself.

The Red - I'm a Hip-Hop fan at heart, so I have to throw in at least one Hip-Hop track! This one has a very special place in my heart. From the critically acclaimed album Champion Sound, the song made an appearance in my favorite Tony Hawk game, Project 8. Performed by Madlib, and produced by the late J Dilla. The two formed the duo known as Jaylib. This one contains explicit content.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  18. I loved all of them. My favorite was either The Red or Verbal. More songs that I would really liked are all the songs on Black Tides album Post Mortem. I also liked Black Tides song Show Me The Way, which was feautred on MotorStorm: Pacific Rift.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  19. My musical tastes seem to be fairly uncommon these days, unfortunately. But, at least it provides even more variety for this topic. :)

Sometimes I wonder if Liszt wrote this just to show off his technical prowess.

This is one of my all-time favorite pieces of music, though this performance of it doesn't play it entirely accurately to its original notation.

Another favorite, though this clip is best listened to without watching the video; I don't know what was up with the camera looking around at all those audience members who weren't doing anything anyway. It's just distracting.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  20. 86a9e8258722045d60502a14ccecb780?s=48&d=

JeremyR

Well in a lot of ways, trance has taken over the classical musical er, space. Or niche.

I mean, listen to this, which is one of the hottest tracks of the moment:

http://youtu.be/6EP34g7fGwM?t=51s

Granted, not as complex or technical, but still...

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  21. 86a9e8258722045d60502a14ccecb780?s=48&d=

JeremyR

And this, this is heavy metal - Twisted Sister - Under the Blade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPklZuIcqBQ

'80s metal is the best. Like almost everything else, of course.

Burn in Hell

SMF

Those are my favorites.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  22. I'm a big Prodigy fan (love the early stuff most), I also like Enya. Here's a mash-up of 'Smack My Bitch Up' by Prodigy and 'Orinoco Flow' by Enya... It shouldn't work, but it does. I also like the video, it would make a great mini. ;)

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  23. JeremyR, SMF was something I listen to a lot 10 years ago, It was really good.
    onmode-ky, your taste in music, it is like I have herad it before. What genre of music is that?

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  24. 6beb9da5e4f5295460a7ef2ac8654e94?s=48&d=

ChaosRandom

Well I'm a big ol redneck so listen to country and 80s big hair mostly. I like a lot of heavy stuff though. Slipknot being my favorite heavy band.

I like the song in the Ascention Black Ops zombie map, but I've been too lazy to google it.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  25. This is Show Me The Way from Black Tide.
    Another good one from Black Tide, That Fire.
    This is going to be the last Metal song I post which is called Laid To Rest by Lamb Of God.
    Here is a nice Dubstep mix called The Echo Room by ZAYLiEN.
    Another one by ZAYLiEN called Glub.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  26. Forgive me for all of the messed up links. Just type them on Youtube.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  27. More Dubstep on the way. They are all from ZAYLiEN
    Glub
    The Echo Room
    Pancakes

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  28. Sorry I haven't posted any links. Kind of been out of it lately. I'll try to post some soon.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  29. A hip-hop fan, eh Ofaliss? I love old-school hip-hop like Wu-Tang Clan and Ghostface Killah, but also more contemporary stuff like Deep Puddle Dynamics, Sole and Alias.

The Red's a pretty good tune.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  30. 6beb9da5e4f5295460a7ef2ac8654e94?s=48&d=

ChaosRandom

I saw Wu Tang live when I was much younger. Wasnt Ghostface a Wu Tang member? I dont dig Hip Hop nowadays though.

Red Solo Cup anyone?

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #

• Wu-Tang Clan ain't nuthin' to f*ck wit!

Yup, I am indeed a fan of hip-hop. If it's not on the radio, I'm all over it. I do enjoy some mainstream hip-hop though. I am a fan of pre-My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Kanye West, pre-Lasers Lupe Fiasco, Mos Def, Talib Kweli. Things of that nature.

Yes Random, Ghostface is a member of Wu-Tang. And speaking of Ghostface, here is a track by DOOMSTARKS. DOOMSTARKS is a collabo between DOOM and Tony Starks (A.K.A. Ghostface). It's called Victory Laps. It was produced by DOOM. I personally think they should have called themselves Tony DOOM!

DOOM gets around! Here's one by Danger Doom. This was from the collabo album, The Mouse and the Mask, featuring Producer Danger Mouse and DOOM, presented by Adult Swim. It's called Basket Case. It features characters from Harvey Birdman.

Here's another Madvillain track from another Adult Swim collabo. It was a collabo between Adult Swim and record label Stonesthrow, it's called Chrome Children. The track is called Monkey Suite. Performed by DOOM, produced by Madlib.

These songs contain explicit content.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • Random, you should link some country tracks, broham. Country is 1 of 2 genres of music I never could get into, so I don't know any good ones.

Here are a few random songs for you guys.

Pjanoo, by Eric Prydz

Exhibition (Epoison), Falling Up

Handlebars, by Flobots (Hehe, have fun watching the video!)

Love You Love You Love, Mighty Switch Force Soundtrack

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • One of the things I like to do when I'm in a bad mood, is listen to a terrible song. A song so terrible, that you laugh the whole time. When it's finally over, you have a huge smile on your face.

So I think I'll introduce a, 'So Bad It Makes You Happy', night. On Thursday nights, which is my hump day, I'll try to post a song so bad, it puts you in a good mood.

First up to the stage is a song so damn aweful, the second it starts it's all LOL's! It's performed by a "rapper" so terrible, that other terrible "rappers" hate him! This disgrace to sound goes by the name of Gucci Mane, and the song so terrible that you laugh the whole way through is known as, Freaky Gurl.

This song is so terrible, that when you're watching the video it's like you have Smell-o-Vision, you can just smell the ignorance! No wonder the youth of today are pretty much useless. At least the chicks are easy on the eyes!

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • I know it's not Thursday anymore, but here's a track by some terrible English rappers from my hometown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5o1SCETBRc

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • More Dubstep by ZAYLiEN, my favorite Dubstep artist.
    Piston Pressure
    Kill Bill
    Spaghettification
    RAiNCHECK

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • Even more Dubstep all by a really awesome guy named Skrillex
    Bangarang
    First Of The Year
    Rock n Roll
    Ruffneck

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • LMAO! Just when I thought that song couldn't get any worse, the Dennis Rodman looking dude pops up and starts "rapping"! That was golden, Game Shrine! Even though it was laughably bad, I enjoyed it more than Freaky Gurl!

Man, someone should make an a** kicking montage with Kill Bill for the soundtrack!

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • Yeah, I kind of got a thought about the same thing about Kill Bill when I heard it.
    Now more Dubstep by Knife Party.
    Internet Friends. This one has a little strong language in the begging.
    Destroy Them With Lazers
    Fire Hive

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • More ZAYLiEN Dubstep. Now this is really fun because they are remixes of games.
    Mining
    Pokemon Gold Ice Path
    Sonic 3 Final Boss Theme
    Danny

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • Time to go back to an golden age! A time where good music, sex, and drugs, were in demand and in full swing! I was born in '87, so I missed out on the music when it was new, but I still enjoy it. Welcome to the '80s wing of the Emporium!

You can't mention music in the '80s and not talk about one man, Michael Jackson. I know that that name brings up all kinds of emotions, some people love him, some hate him. But despite what you think about the man, it's hard to not love his music! Here are some fan favorites from what could be the most recognized and beloved albums in history, Thriller!

Beat It
    Billie Jean
    Thriller
    Human Nature (Personal favorite of mine)

But lets not forget these gems not on Thriller!

Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough (technically released in '79, but close enough!)
    Rock With You

But no, ladies and gentleman, the '80s block isn't over just yet! I'll be back with more!

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • To me, you can't enjoy '80s music without enjoying the sounds of Phil Collins, or as I like to call him, Phil Freaking Collins! The guy is so freaking epic, he made up a word and turned it into one of the greatest songs known to man! Here it is ladies and gentleman, Sussudio! For some reason, I can picture Freelance listening to this while she's hunting critters!

But that's not all that I have from Philly FC, oh no! I also have what is perhaps the greatest song EVER to make sweet passionate relations to, In The Air Tonight!

This next one is from Spandau Ballet. I actually have nothing cool to say, other than this song is f'ing AWESOME! One of my all time favs, Gold.

The next song has one of the greatest music videos I have ever seen. A lot of the younger guys may recognize the style since it was parodied on Family Guy. The song is by Norwegian pop band A-ha, and is called Take On Me. I doubt it really needs an introduction. It's up there for songs I want played at my funeral!

Next up is a favorite from the Vice City days! It was one of the few songs that when it played on the radio, I would just coast down the strip. For those 3:58, lives were spared. It's Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung.

There are SO many more gems, but I'm going to wrap it up for now with one from the man himself, Rick James! Or as I like to call him, Rick Motherf*@king James! Ghetto Life ladies and gentleman, and it ain't no joke!

Edit: I have to give you guys one more! This one is by the inadvertent king of pranks, Rick Astley! Yes ladies and gentleman, I'm talking about the one and only, Never Gonna Give You Up!

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • Ah, the 80's. I miss dancing to the old school music and doing the moon walk. I loved MJ, he was a legend but, 80's Metal is just plain bada$$.
    Judas Priest was very popular, and they were the first Metal I have ever listen to. My favorite track from Judas Priest, Painkiller
    I am going to post some more old Metal later.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  •  

onmode-ky, your taste in music, it is like I have herad it before. What genre of music is that?

Er, classical? The three examples I gave are all from the Romantic era (roughly speaking, the 1800s), specifically, my favorite. I'm not sure if that's what you were asking.

I would say today's successor to classical music would be soundtrack music. At the least, it's pretty much the direct successor of opera. My CD library is largely soundtracks (primarily Star Trek and anime/games).

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • 6beb9da5e4f5295460a7ef2ac8654e94?s=48&d=

ChaosRandom

Sorry O, I'll try to link some of my favs on here. Its just that this thread requires more time than I have. Lol. I'm usually on my mobile and it wouldn't let me watch Freaky Gurl. I'll have to catch it at the house.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • Make sure the homies aren't around, don't want their little minds warped by the stupidity!

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • 6beb9da5e4f5295460a7ef2ac8654e94?s=48&d=

ChaosRandom

Oh don't worry dude. I'll be lucky to just keep their minds safe from my own stupidity.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • That's what I fear most. If I ever have kids it's going to be hard keeping them safe guarded from my shenanigans. Especially since I tend to talk to myself a lot and not realize it. I even laugh at my own jokes as if they've been told by someone else. I've got some serious issues that therapist would LOVE to try to resolve.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • 86a9e8258722045d60502a14ccecb780?s=48&d=

JeremyR

I would say today's successor to classical music would be soundtrack music. At the least, it's pretty much the direct successor of opera. My CD library is largely soundtracks (primarily Star Trek and anime/games).

For opera, I guess, but a lot of classical music was meant for dancing. I mean, heck, in the 1970s, during the Disco era, one of the biggest things was "Switched on Classics", which essentially was disco versions of classical music.

And Tiesto, before he sold out, did a wonderful trance version of Adagio for Strings
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EaE0_gQLw0

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • Disco versions of classical music . . . as if there weren't already enough reasons to dislike disco. :P But yeah, I guess a fair amount of classical music was originally dances, and not just waltzes. I don't think I'd say a majority was, but definitely a significant percentage.

I guess I'll post some of my favorites from the soundtracks I have.

"Diva," the aria from Blood+ - composed by Mark Mancina (actually available as an MP3 from his website, though I have the series' actual CDs; the vocals are performed by the same woman, Elin Carlson, who sang the remake of the original Star Trek theme for the enhanced version of The Original Series)

"Ifurita's Theme," from El-Hazard: The Magnificent World - composed by Seikou Nagaoka (this isn't from it, but there's a wonderful El-Hazard - The Symphonic World CD I have where arrangements of the series' music are performed by the Slovakia Philharmonic)

"Nirvash type ZERO," from Eureka seveN - composed by Naoki Sato (this piece truly captures the thrill and freedom of soaring through the skies, so it's quite fitting for the series)

"Chain," from The Vision of Escaflowne - composed by Yoko Kanno (there's certainly a ton of Kanno's music I could have posted, from her wide spectrum of genres, but this came to mind even before Escaflowne's "Dance of Curse"; like all the Escaflowne music, this is performed by the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus, who have done a few other anime works)

"Nightmare," from Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - composed by Kotaro Nakagawa (Code Geass was full of drama, and its music sold it all with style)

"Ilia's Theme," from Star Trek: The Motion Picture - composed by Jerry Goldsmith (think what you will of ST:TMP, but its Oscar-nominated score is absolutely one of Goldsmith's finest creations ever; this particular piece is what played before the movie started)

Enough from me.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • Just going to add my 2 cents in here.
    Perfect - by Hedly
    For the Nights I can't Remember - also by Hedly
    Kill Everybody - by Skrillex

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • It's Thursday folks, time for another song so sh*tty it's funny! This one may be controversial to the younger members here. It's the "hit" by the queen of Skank Pop herself, Lady Gaga. The terrible song in question is Poker Face.

Of course, I could have slapped ANY Lady Gaga song on here and it would still hold true.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • @DarthDanMan
    Yea, Skrillex. Do you listen to a lot of Skrillex?

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • 4ef5984faaf619c2c83592df56b66759?s=48&d=

Sniper D. Luffy

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • @Huicho
    Quite a bit actually.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • @DarthDanMan
    Skrillex has a lot of talent. His new school Dubstep is amazing. My favorite song from him would be First Of The Year.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • It has been almost a week since I have posted music, and now here I am. All of these songs are by Feed Me.
    One Click Headshot
    Trapdoor
    Relocation
    Trichitillomania
    Whiskers
    To The Stars
    Green Bottle

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • I have been listening to this guy named Zedd, he makes amazing music and I will post some more Zedd in 2 or 3 days but, I just had to post this song right now called The Legend Of Zelda.

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #
  • Just a few random songs I like from game soundtracks.

Staff Roll - Tekken Tag Tournament (greatest credit song EVER)

Red Hot Skull - Sonic Adventure

City Escape - Sonic Adventure 2

For True Story (Sonic vs Shadow) - Sonic Adventure 2

One-Winged Angel - Final Fantasy VII (I prefer Advent One-Winged Angel, but this is solely for video games)

Redemption - Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII

The Man with the Machine Gun - Final Fantasy VIII (See Freelance, I did like something about VIII)

Otherworld - Final Fantasy X

Real Emotion (English Version) - Final Fantasy X-2 (honestly, the song isn't that great, it's just that hearing it makes me picture Yuna dancing around my living room)

Iwatodai Dorm - Persona 3

Yo - Catherine (It really is that short)

Guile's Theme - Super Street Fighter 2 (DUH)

Disco Ball - Ridge Racer

Night Stream - Ridge Racer

Chinatown Wars - Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (couldn't leave without some hip-hop)

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #

Sniper D. Luffy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI4AXKwnfpA&list=FLX4xTwUTo0IJFU_YyOa7xHw&index=1&feature=plpp_video

testing some posting functions...

screw it!! just check it out...

POSTED 7 YEARS AGO #

That was pretty good. Hope he keeps on practicing.

It has been a while since I posted any music, and I'm in a Samurai Champloo mood. Samurai Champloo is my all time favorite anime, and the blend of traditional Japanese culture and hip-hop is one of the reasons why.

Battlecry - produced by the late Nujabes, featuring Shing02

Ole - Fat Jon

Pretending To... - Tsutchie

Tsurugi no Mai - Nujabes

Silver Morning - Nujabes

Shiki no Uta - Produced by Nujabes, performed by Minmi

Who's Theme - Produced by Nujabes, performed by Minmi. This track is insanely mellow.

Nujabes was a Japanese hip-hop producer. Much like J Dilla, he died way too young. They essentially were eastern and western counterparts. Nujabes being the calm and mellow of the two, while J Dilla chose a more aggressive sound. Oddly enough, they were both born on the same date and died in the same month of their birth.

I suggest that if you do listen to them, listen to them on a medium volume level to get the most enjoyment. Hope you guys like them. Except for Battlecry, you can blast that one!

I, er, voted sort of by accident. Since I don't accept cookies from most websites and don't have an account of any sort at that site, I didn't think anything would happen if I clicked on the Vote button, so I did it to see what the effect would be. To my surprise, it accepted the vote; I guess it doesn't rely on cookies.

In all honesty, though, I'm not qualified to evaluate your track. Not only do I not know the song you remixed, but I don't even have any interest in that style of music.

I stumbled across this remix of the Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors opening theme earlier today and was quite impressed. I've always thought the original tune was one of the best 80s cartoon intros, and this remix, while largely sounding quite similar, adds in some pretty cool atmospheric effects. I don't particularly like the very beginning, but it grows out of that.

JeremyR

This song has been one of my absolute favorites for 35 years now. I got the album when I was 6 (on both 8-track and vinyl)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60A1yKc2hi4

Absolutely silly video though, but at the same time, it illustrates how people were comfortable wearing outlandish fashions. Two guys in kimonos, one guy in a leisure suit, a couple guys in jumpsuit, and the guitarist in a tuxedo

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And here's something you don't see very often

Surf rock by a guy wearing an old Star Trek t-shirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwdd0TkhlvI

Apparently Uhura's...

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Yeah, that . . . that is weird. And besides, who in their right mind would wear a red classic Starfleet uniform? Got a death wish?

"In Memories KO-TO-WA-RI", from the soundtrack to the Rurouni Kenshin prequel OVA series. I used to listen to this track on the CD over and over. It's the music that plays during the series' final scenes, alternating between mournful and violent, wrapping up the heart-wrenching story. Composed by Taku Iwasaki (also composer of Read or Die, in much lighter fare). He has some lovely strings work.

To this day, I maintain that the Kenshin OVA is one of the finest stories ever animated, on top of being one of the most beautiful works of animation. Wish the Blu-ray weren't so damned expensive.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I dunno, the worst thing that happened to Uhura on the show was kissing William Shatner. And Scotty never got into any real trouble.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Proof Disco was still alive in 1982

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HGaJHhUJR4

Strangely, I have never met anyone named Gloria.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And something more modern

http://youtu.be/m7wbfBOG7Tw?t=3m22s

One of the most beautiful breakdowns of the year and that's saying a lot

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And apparently disco was popular in Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbWYs4a9xB0

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • This is a damn shame.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Here's a song from the 80s I completely forgot about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQLWMvJ3sp4

Added bonus, back then, I looked a lot like the lead singer (except younger). Almost eerie, actually. Looks like me when I went off to college (my parents made me get a haircut)

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Well, not everyone can look like a singer of a Canadian progressive rock band from the 80s, ya know. (At least it's not Geddy Lee.)

Anyway, now for something completely differently, a game soundtrack (sort of), apparently some of this was in that Miami Hotline game.

http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-night

And the whole soundtrack to that game

http://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • http://soundcloud.com/aleksander-vinter
    This guy is legend. He makes outstanding music, and now he is currently making video games. He currently has one in the works and he is going to use his music as a soundtrack! Savant is the best!

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

That sounds sort of like the Phantom of the Opera song, Toccata in MInor D, I believe.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • I'm starting to wonder if music has become so terrible lately that people have adapted in order to still enjoy music, or has music always been terrible but I just never noticed.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I dunno. I think thanks to the internet it's now possible for someone truly talented to be discovered. At least in the EDM genre, it's thriving thanks to places like Soundcloud and all the radio streaming.

But if you mean popular music, from record companies, then yes, I think this is probably the worst it's ever been since records were invented. Sheet music even. Popular music was always about marketing, but there usually had to be at least a core of good music. Now technology has advanced to the point where that isn't necessary anymore. And people seem so jaded that they don't care that artists are phony. Milli-Vanilli was terrible, but at least when they turned out to be fakes they were banished. Now it seems they are embraced (that Lana Del Rey in particular, but Ashley Simpson before her)

Beyond that, rock has gone from mostly dead to just plain dead. Rap is still alive, but has followed down the pop music path, sort of missing the whole point.

Indeed, I think part of the problem is that passion has gone out of music. At least mainstream music.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And just for the heck of it, some of my favorite mid-late 90s songs (since I seem to be mostly using my Vita to watch music videos on)

Posies - Dream All Day (another singer I sort of look like)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM1U78RLChY

Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Kill Your Television
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yan77UKYcg4

Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic (looks like they were going for a The Shining vibe with the video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTqR9oZX6Q

Robert Plant - Calling To You
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Fjrc_4nOQ

Coverdale/Page - Take Me For A Little While (I listened to this album a lot after getting dumped in college. I'm not sure it helped, but it was appropriate at least.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtfM2CozoAo

Dubstar - Stars (Motiv8 Mix) Kind of weird, they did a new video for the remix, the original version is sort of trip-hop, this is more dance. Had a hell of a time finding the cd for this, store clerks would keep insisting I wanted "Dogstar", which apparently was Keanu Reeves' band (I guess Woah and Pinnochio were taken).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92t3L2otUfU

Front 242 - Crushed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2PiDF6LDeg

2 Skinnee Js - Riot Nrrrd (From the somewhat short lived Nerdcore genre, but this is actually good. The whole album is, actually.sprawled in the hall like Anthony Michael has to be one of the greatest lines ever)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeLMckmfiI8
    And here's the sound
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmFLMLfJPas
    Why do record companies do that? They complain about a video with music, so Youtube removes the music, but then others upload just the music and no one cares

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • It's pretty asinine. I don't get why the companies even care as long as no money is being made. It's not just music either. Sega was pulling videos for one of their games, Guardian Force or something. WWE is having videos of their events taken down. Which sucks because I occasionally watch wrestling on YouTube if I'm in the mood.

Calling To The Night. My favorite MGS tunes.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • daa4ec7d823df24cf5d649bb7e19f004?s=48&d=

Atariboy

Here's a favorite song of mine. Been in love with this song since I was about 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abOzcjxNJ30

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

That is a pretty good song, but I prefer the disco version of it. She did a handful of disco songs, actually.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

My speakers are unplugged but I'll be sure to check it out soon.

Here's the earliest song I love of her's. Sadly it's all but forgotten now but I've probably played it two dozen times the last several weeks after discovering it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEhL07UCkb4

She's also a fine actress. And she recorded her songs in about a half dozen languages which makes her achievements seem even more amazing.

Wish I had saw her in concert a decade ago when she wasn't too far away.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • I thought Downtown came out way before the 60's.

I imagine that with an enjoyment of such music that you have a hard time stomaching today's music. I may be wrong, but I've never heard anybody who was a fan of something like Baby Lover say how much they love them some Gaga.

Edit: I don't mean "something like Baby Lover" in a bad way. It's a rather nice song.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I also really liked Julie London. She was an actress on my favorite show as a kid, Emergency!, but she was better known as a singer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWNJmM8GLy0

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

She also acted in movies. I've seen her in a couple of Western's from the 50's over the years.

Emergency! is actually one of the few 1970's shows that graces my DVD shelving. All six seasons and the post season 6 tv movies are in my DVD collection. And the show it was spun-off from is also there in its entirety (Adam-12, the best police show ever made).

Nothing yet for Dragnet though which is what Adam-12 originated from but someday I'll buy the four seasons from the 60's/70's revival of it (I wish I could buy the 50's seasons on DVD since that was the best era of the show but they're locked away in vaults unlikely to ever be seen again).

"I thought Downtown came out way before the 60's."

Downtown was one of the top hits for 1965. One of the best years ever for music with releases like Downtown, Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers, etc.

"I imagine that with an enjoyment of such music that you have a hard time stomaching today's music. I may be wrong, but I've never heard anybody who was a fan of something like Baby Lover say how much they love them some Gaga."

I couldn't of even told you she was a singer (I've heard of the name though). So you'd be quite right. :)

My music interest really starts to decline right around the tail end of the 1960's. There's relatively little from the 1970's that I'm crazy about, very little from the 1980's (And what little there is often came from groups and people like The Beach Boys and Roy Orbison that were popular years earlier and enjoyed brief revivals in the 80's), and hardly anything from the 1990's (And the little bit there is all Country). There isn't a single song I'm aware of liking from the 2000's.

As far as my taste in music, movies, and television go, it's all about the 30's through the 60's (And 50's and 60's for television since obviously it wasn't around earlier). There's the occasional modern movie that I enjoy but they're few and far between (I've watched You've Got Mail which was a remake of a favorite of mine called the "The Shop Around the Corner" from about 1940, Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, and Space Cowboys in recent months and enjoyed all of them).

Since I seem to like some of Tom Hank's movies, I'm keeping my eyes out for Sleepless in Seattle (A remake of An Affair to Remember which is one of my favorite movies) and The Money Pit (A remake of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House which is another favorite). But I guess this is a music thread so I'll shut up now. :)

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • This is a personal favorite of mine. The video is pretty high up on my favorites list too.

I REALLY hate Robin Thicke though. How fair is it that he is attractive and can sing!? That's like an athlete poking a handicapped kid in the eye before a foot race. You already have the advantage, why go for the overkill!? Oh well. That's the only song by him that I like, so it's not like I'm reminded of him too often.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Other than rock and rap, I really don't like male vocalists much. Some exceptions, but not many.

And funny enough, I actually like a Gaga song. That Just Dance is pretty catchy. It would be better without the autotuned vocals. I don't get why people who have good voices use that

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • That's what's so scary about Gaga. I think everybody has one song they like from her. I like that one called Paparazzi. That's why it's so hard to get rid of her. I think she does it on purpose. "What's on the agenda today? Oh, yeah! Make a good song to prove that I am musically talented!"

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Canta Per Me has been stuck in my head since I watched Noir.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

Sniper D. Luffy

just putting it out there:

there is a URL option to put the link to the music in so the poster can actually put in a description like O does...just saying...it looks better, somewhat...

Kinda like this....Phoenix Wright Turnabout mode extended UMvC 3

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I've always thought it was rude to do that, because that way people don't know what url you are linking to. Could be something malicious. Like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8

Quite possibly the worst thing you will ever hear or see.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Ugh!... I had to rinse the suck out of my ears with some Adele. Love her Skyfall theme.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Sh*t gets all kinds of real when this plays in Anarchy Reigns.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

A game like that should have a soundtrack like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn2xSNv0TSk

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Hmmmm, now maybe i know how onmode-ky felt about that Star Trek theme getting disco-fied

A disco version of Whole Lotta Love (the Zeppelin song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0XzhOvZh4

Eh, not so great. There's some disco version of Pink Floyd songs that work pretty well, but this...

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And vaguely related, here's a song back from when I used to DJ (sort of, there was not a big demand for trance DJs in St. Louis so my career never got very far...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYOItzJsZEI

That's almost the same mixer I used to have (well, still have it, not hooked up anymore).

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • You were a DJ!? Cool. What was that like?

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Heh, not very exciting, it mostly consisted of sending demo tapes to every club in town and never hearing anything back.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • A favorite of mine by Madonna.

[link]

Seriously, though, it's time for her to start covering up. It's getting creepy now.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I think that was a long time ago, to be honest. As a kid (well, teen), I had that Penthouse she was in in 1985. She looks much better with her clothes on, it gives the illusion that she's much better looking than she really is.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Speaking of deadly poisons, here's a great song about strychnine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ul5-uhRW8

Not quite as deadly as cyanide, it was actually popular for a while as a recreational drug. But too much will kill you....

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • This is my favourite Drum and Bass tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNH4qmbaHoA

I used to practice a bit of mixing like Jeremy, but never got further than obsessing over the perfect playlist. Drum and Bass is hard to mix.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Drum and Bass is a pain in the a** to make. It always sounds sloppy (when I do it) because the whole genre itself has a whole bunch of tracks that are radically different in some way, and to top it all of, the BPM is really high making it hard to actually mix it.

This is my favourite Drum and Bass tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNH4qmbaHoA

That sounds really nice. While I am into EDM, it's nice to hear some Drum and Bass once in a while.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Yeah, that is pretty good. I've always liked the atmospheric sort of drum and base a lot, and a lot of breakbeat in general. But yeah, it's hard to mix.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Here is the video to Kanye's Paranoid. 808s & Heartbreak is my favorite album, period. I love everything about it.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

The guy can make some pretty good music, but I just can't stand that autotune stuff. I guess it's a generational thing, but I didn't like it when Daft Punk did it years ago either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8

Good song, but it had real vocals it would be much better, IMHO.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • I don't have an innate issue with autotune. Plus, I don't listen to the radio, so when it was being used by everyone I completely missed it. I don't hear too many songs that use it, so it hasn't grown old.

One More Time is a favorite of mine.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

From the first time I heard this, I hated Autotune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbXiECmCZ94

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • That song is gay. I normally never use that word in that context in a public setting, because I don't want to offend anyone, but it is.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Ha, I remember when I first heard that song, I wondered what the heck Cher was doing, seemingly making herself sound worse on purpose.

I don't know anything about ABBA, but this video featuring one of their songs lip-synched by Vocaloid Megurine Lukais remarkably well done. Consider that it was created by a player via the Edit Mode of the PSP's Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd game (rendered here on a PS3 using the Dreamy Theater add-on--which I'd really like to get someday for my copy of the first Project DIVA). The guy did a remarkably slick job with the choreography and lip-synching.

About 2 weeks ago, a game called "Vectros" released for the iPhone. The music in it was done by former Taito Zuntata member (one of the founders) Hisayoshi Ogura. Check out a sample of it here. The full track is available on Amazon MP3 and iTunes. It's the first work of his I'm aware of since his contributions to DariusBurst, its remix album, and the Zuntata 25th anniversary album. By the way, that video has a very brief snapshot of the composer himself.

Earlier in this topic, I referred to the super bizarre ending theme of Dragon Half. As I expected, that song made it into Inside Anime Expo's list of top 10 WTF anime songs.

To end this post, I'll leave you with this amazing user-made music video done in Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA. I've actually had this particular edit data on my Memory Stick for years, but the visuals in the clip are amped up by virtue of being output by the PS3 Dreamy Theater app. The song is "Information High," a song sung in Macross Plus (one of a great many) by the story's virtual idol, Sharon Apple. The great irony about having Hatsune Miku sing (lip-synch) this song is that Hatsune Miku herself is a real-world virtual idol. :D But that novelty aside, the video is still remarkable in that its creator actually manages to maintain a bit of narrative--separate from the song's, while still fitting it well. Really, superb work, in both design and execution. By the way, I think the majority of the Dislikes on that clip are from ignoramuses who expected this to be a Hatsune Miku song, oblivious to both Project DIVA's Edit Mode and Macross Plus.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I don't know anything about ABBA, but this video featuring one of their songs lip-synched by Vocaloid Megurine Luka is remarkably well done.

That's well done but creepy to see a tiny anime character sing like a giant Swede

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And it's funny, I really don't like much later rap/hip hop, but I absolutely love the early stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq8mc3fFhuM

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • I enjoy old hip-hip, but it's rare that I actually buy any. Don't know why.

Whenever Mother came on the radio (San Andreas), ESPECIALLY if I was in an attack helicopter, a whole city worth of people and cops would be dead by the time it was finished. Such a badass song.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Probably the only game whose soundtrack (of non-video game music) I liked was Quarantine, which was sort of like Crazy Taxi except you ran over people. For some reason, they got a bunch of songs from alternative Australian bands.

Smudge - Ingrown
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpHgVclfiD8

Daisygrinders - Uranium Watch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFf1XVM_oQM

Underground Lovers - Weak Will
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1OsvKkV-4s

Custard - Wahooti Fandango (very strange)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ZMXBtA8KU

The Fauves - The Driver is You (should be in more driving games)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUqsc8xPT2E

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • My favorite track featured in Grand Theft Auto III, which I'm playing right now on my phone, was this.

[link]

WARNING! Explicit content.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • On the weirder experimental side of things, Amon Tobin's ISAM is an incredible collection of, if not songs, then textures in sound. What textures they are, though! There's slurps, warbling whooshes, springy metallic tension noises, and eerie female vocals(which are actually modified sounds of Tobin's singing).

If you're into this kind of sonic experimentation, the full album is up here.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Interesting. When I was younger, I used to be a big Negativland fan, which was an experimental-industrial group, mostly famous for getting sued by people who they borrowed sample from (like U2 and Pepsi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABXBX8BmGM

Legendary Pink Dots too, though they were more music, less samples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WHJ_z14MIY

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I keep watching this one youtube channel (or uploader or whatever) because I keep trying to get into Psychobilly.

But they also post some other weird stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww8lovvwHtQ

It's a heavy metal band apparently fronted by an opera singer. It's certainly one of the strangest things I've heard. Or seen, though I feel bad, it's like a lady version of Meatloaf.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Here's another song from the 1980s I forgot about Honeymoon Suite - New Girl Now

The closest thing I had to a girlfriend in high school was a big fan of them.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • The composer of the excellent adventure game Machinarium, Floex(Tomas Dvorak), has a great album called Zorya. You can listen to the whole thing on his bandcamp page.

It's Nu-Jazz with plenty of Floex's clarinet playing throughout. "Precious Creature" is a standout, being the only track with vocals. The whole album's got a very unique sound, and the warm clarinet tones compliment the harsher electronic backdrops very nicely.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • One of the things I loved about Beast Machines, other than how freaking awesome Cheetor was, is the song used for the intro.

[link]

I REALLY regret not buying the series when it was 50 bucks, because now price jackers have done what they do best: be assholes.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Cheetor? Wasn't that the cat from the Cheetohs commercial?

I was never much of a Leftfield fan, but this is one of my favorite songs (mentioned in the recommended videos bar).

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

• Here is a rather well done video, recommended by Austin Wintory, the composer of Journey.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I thought Steve Perry, Neal Schon, and Jonathan Cain were the composers of Journey....

Anyway you want it...

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Ah, Journey. What wasn't right about that game?

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Here is the last Drum and Bass track I made with Beaterator for the PSP(in 2011 I think). There's another as well, but it's not as good.

I do wish there was a way I could get Beaterator again. I should move on to something better one of these days.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • That's pretty good.

I got Beaterator the day it came out and in that time I've only made these two tracks. Made them using what was already available. I have not the slightest idea how to make music. I have the interest, but like everything else, I just don't want to be bothered.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

That's why I learned to DJ - it's sort of like making music, except it's relatively easy.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • This is my favorite track from the Revengeance soundtrack. It's what made the final boss so epic. The game and the soundtrack work perfectly together.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

That sounds perfect for an '80s movie.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And this is interesting, orchestral trance with a real orchestra, apparently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nxEbduZO5k

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Man, I completely abandoned this thread. :P Here are some tracks to make up for my absence.
    https://soundcloud.com/suicidesheep/dawn-an-ambient-mix

Nice tracks Aaron and O.
    What I really like about that DnB Aaron, is that it's actually DnB and not Drumstep. I rarely hear stuff like that because DnB networks just post a lot of Drumstep.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • This is my first Beaterator Song. I guess I forgot about this one until now. It's sort of an instrumental Hip-Hop track.

I should add a bass track to this one day. That's really the one thing it's missing.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • That's pretty cool. It reminds me of the song/clip that plays at the end of the Scion commercials.

Here is another favorite of mine from Revengeance.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • I've been addicted to Breakbeat this week, and after a bit of searching(breakbeat is scarce these days!), I discovered Colombo, a Spanish producer and DJ. His stuff is just top-notch.

Your Dream Will Go is a particular favorite of mine, but Gods is an even bigger banger.

Anyone else know some particularly good Breakbeat? It was Wipeout soundtracks that introduced me to the genre, but I've found it difficult to find stuff on par with that level of quality.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This isn't very good, but here's another rock (?) band dressed up in Star Trek uniforms
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK9P-BrfzLE

As to breakbeat, that's something I like, but it is tricky finding stuff. All I can suggest is a couple of DJs - Dave London and of course, DJ Icey

DJ Icey has some downloads (albeit a bit out of date) of his radio show on his site
    http://www.djicey.com/downloads.htm

Dave London has a bunch of remixes on youtube. His record label does a lot of breakbeat remixes of songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHvznW3rEZ8

And for progressive breakbeat, Luke Chable puts out some pretty good stuff, though also does progressive house
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIpwESkq-IE

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

Sniper D. Luffy

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • A few favorites from Dead or Alive 5

I'm a Fighter

Mission/Title

Showdown

And the kickass boss theme from Persona 4.

I'll Face Myself -Battle-

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

Sniper D. Luffy

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is pretty neat, they sampled I Feel Love. Has to be one of the earliest cases of sampling, 1979

Arpeggio - Let the Music Play

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Somehow, I had gone my whole life without ever really listening to Bonobo. I'm glad I finally have. I've been listening to the whole North Borders album(Youtube Link) on Music Unlimited.

This is the album opener, and one of my favorite tracks:
    Bonobo - First Fires

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Cool, Daft Punk is releasing a new album next month.

I'm really hoping it's kickass, because I am in dire need of some good new music. I've been at a loss since Kanye started sucking a**. It really sucks to see and hear your favorite musical artist go down hill.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I would actually like Daft Punk if they didn't use the robotic/autotune vocals.

And this is very interesting, I think, a disco version of Ennio Morricone's Once Upon a Time in the West (and here isoriginal, non-disco version)

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • I'm not going to lie, the album cover is about 78% of the reason why I want the album. I'm a sucker for cool covers.

I remember someone asking about house, I think Cross is pretty good. Justice is overrated, but Cross is a solid album.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Not surprisingly, I like the older house. Like Bad Boy Bill

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Speaking of Justice, I've always liked their remix of MGMT's Electric Feel.

Not that it means much nowadays, but they won a Grammy in '09 for this remix.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  •  

I'm a sucker for cool covers.

Sheryl says, "Buy this CD!"

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

By that rationale, I would own the entire Molly Hatchet catalog

Molly_Hatchet_-_Flirtin%27_with_Disaster.jpg

Okay, that's actually not a bad album, but still..

(Bonus points if you know the book that piece of artwork was originally used for)

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Or this

Space+Project+R4069891277160935.jpg

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  •  

Sheryl says, "Buy this CD!"

Eh. That isn't really cool. Nice to look at, but not cool.

I don't know what books those pictures were used for, but they are cool as hell. I love how that astronaut is all like, "One small step for ma... HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Speaking of Justice, I've always liked their remix of MGMT's Electric Feel.

That remix is pretty good, but I prefer the original song.

My favorite song from that Justice album is DVNO. Back when I had a HUGE crush on Rachael Ray I replaced DVNO with EVOO. Eventually her voice started to annoy the hell out of me so I got over her. I've since replaced my crush on her with my crush on Tina Fay.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Messiah was one of the artists that got me back into listening to dance music (back in the mid 90s), and There Is No Law is one of my favorite songs, but I had never heard the rap version. It's really pretty good (and some of it was left into the album/regular mix of the song)

Strangely, a few years later, they released a progressive rock album that sounded like Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Definitely one of the most curious changes in musical direction.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And speaking of old DJs, here's an interesting mix by Ben Liebrand of the first song of The War of the Worlds

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

• I love Get Lucky. It sounds like it came straight out of the 80's.

[link]

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Radio X. That was the station you listened to in San Andreas if you wanted to wreck some sh*t.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

For some reason, I woke up with this song stuck in my head - Macho - I'm a Man

Which features (sort of) in one of the best scenes in the movie Nighthawks

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Now this is about as (early) '80s as it gets. Doctor's Cat - Feel the Drive

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And speaking of '80s, this is much better than autotune.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And for something more modern, one of my favorite songs so far this year - Kelly Andrew - The Incursion (Epic Orchestral Trance Mix)

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Good to see you (so to speak). And yeah, Wild Arms is about the only video game whose music I really, really like.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • We don't see you around these parts much these days, Huicho. I get it though, onmode-ky makes me want to take a break for a while to.

Some of the best music I've ever heard has been game music. I'd have soundtracks out the butt it they weren't so expensive. The Japanese ones I mean. Other than games from thatgamecompany I don't think I've played a western developed game that had a good soundtrack.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

My mind just pretty much filters out video game music, with a few exceptions like Wild Arms and er, that one Final Fantasy theme.

And this, from Gyruss. That is awesome. Was amazing in the arcades.

I guess part of the thing is I just don't really like slow music.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • I have been lurking around here almost everyday. I just have not have the urge to post. Lately I have been occupied practicing Marvel 3 and completing Wild Arms. When I am not playing, I am reading. I haven't been on my computer all that much lately.

My mind just pretty much filters out video game music, with a few exceptions like Wild Arms

I refuse to play Wild Arms if I have to play with the volume off. For instance, I was at a place that was quite noisy, and I just did not have the same urge to play that game. I need to play with the volume on.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Yeah, it's like in the old Westerns that inspired Wild Arms, they are a lot worse without the soundtrack (usually I don't care about music in movies, either).

A Fistful of Dollars

For a Few Dollars More

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

Sniper D. Luffy

Yu-gi-oh No matter what

i like this one...

I have been lurking around here almost everyday. I just have not have the urge to post. Lately I have been occupied practicing Marvel 3 and completing Wild Arms. When I am not playing, I am reading. I haven't been on my computer all that much lately.

i need to finish WA one day...and i'm basically hanging up Marvel, it no longer have much appeal to me now...

Banjo kazooie - final battle

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  •  

and i'm basically hanging up Marvel, it no longer have much appeal to me now...

Kind of sucks. I feel as if this is my peak. No rage quitting and I have like a 60-20 record. I use Ghost Rider though. Not as a main, and I don't spam jump S, but I use Ghost Rider. Doom and M.O.D.O.K. are my best characters.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Legend of Dragoon has the most balla menu theme of all time.

[link]

One of my favorite tracks from any game is Red Hot Skull from Sonic Adventure. I remember just listening to it over and over when I unlocked the ability to listen to the games music.

[link]

But if I had to pick an all time favorite track from a game, it would be In Your Belief from Asura's Wrath.

[link]

That game is so under appreciated. Even with Capcom being a**holes.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

That Sonic Adventure song is pretty good.

It reminds me of a song from another Dreamcast game, Test Drive 6. I'm not really sure what you'd call the genre.
    http://youtu.be/FySSjGZs0Uc

(Cheating a little, it's licensed, but I've never heard it anywhere else)

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  •  

onmode-ky makes me want to take a break for a while to.

I take a break from myself every now and then.

I was at a place that was quite noisy, and I just did not have the same urge to play that game. I need to play with the volume on.

If I'm out with my PSP, I often bring along headphones for such situations. Depends on whether I have the pocket space, though.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • The Velocity (Ultra) soundtrack + remix album is now out on iTunes and other music download online stores.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Yeah, I saw that last night (somehow I am on Futurlab's mailing list). Will do a story on it.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

STP meets Lincoln (er, LInkin?) Park. And the results aren't terrible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjnR-73BfzA

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Random Access Memories came today. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Well, my faith in music has been renewed.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • This is sexy.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

That is pretty good.

There was a DJ named Ben Liebrand who would take like the top 75 or so songs of the year and make like an hour long mix out of them. Surprisingly few on Youtube, but here is his 1986 version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ1KA2VNDPA&list=PL7BC61D0189EB5B30

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

The original version of I Love Rock N Roll

and

Always Something There

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • I never knew the version of "Always Something There to Remind Me" that I was familiar with was a cover made 20 years after the original. Suddenly, I feel like a lame teenybopper. :(

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And speaking of that, here is a synth pop/new wave song from the '80s that I somehow missed back then

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Deadman Wonderland's opening song really gets me pumped. Comes in real handy after a 4 hour nap at work.

[link]

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is by far the most blood pumping comic book related song/album.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Simon O'Shine has probably been my favorite music producer the last couple years. And he's still at it.

Mike Onswell - Lost Forever (Simon O'Shine Orchestral Mix)

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • I've had this song stuck in my head since I heard it in an episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia earlier this week. That episode also made me really want to see Serpico. Lucky for me it's available to stream on Netflix.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

That's nice. Just close you eyes and it's easy to imagine you are back in the '70s

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is pretty awesome

Maybe rock music isn't so dead.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

Here's a song I always turn the radio up for.

Different Drum

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

She's why George Lucas is so bitter and ruined Star Wars.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

Linda Ronstadt is?

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Yeah. She used to date him, and he never got over her and turned very bitter.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

He should've listened to her song.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I suppose we should just be lucky he stayed away from Barbra Streisand.

Poor James Brolin.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • Just so you know, the only part of a YouTube URL that you need for getting to a particular video clip you want to show is the part from "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" up through (but not including) the first ampersand. All the rest of that URL is stuff for tracking, statistics, marketing, etc.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Yeah, but it's easier to just copy and paste the whole url from your browser.

Anyway, that's good, Huicho. While I can certainly hear some dupstep elements, it reminds me a lot of the early chillout/progressive stuff, like on Sasha + Digweed's early Northern Exposure albums

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Corey Feldman has a new song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZgzSwTW0Qs

Yeah, I didn't know he was a musician, either.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • I was going to say I didn't know he was still alive, but him being a musician raises questions too.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

The sad thing is that I used to look like him, and we are the same age. He aged a lot better than I have. Okay, I probably have more muscles, so I could probably take him in a fight, but still, he has more hair and less flab.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but I don't know any better place.

Does anyone who can remember the 1980s, remember if the Police had a music video for their song Synchronicity II?

I head that on the radio today and went to look it up on youtube, but they don't have it. But I swear, I remember seeing one.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #
  • I remember when I was really young, my mom would to sing me the chorus of Bad, Bad Leroy Brown. It always put a smile on my face. Still does.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I remember when that song first came out.

He had a really nice mustache.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I love bootlegs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELafj1mR4Kk

Blade Runner had a terrible plot, but great soundtrack and visuals.

POSTED 6 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is probably the greatest video I've ever seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZJ66LGb8jc

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Sniper D. Luffy

The Last of Us OST 020 All Gone No Escape

so beautiful!!! reminds me of SH though....seems to fit well

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

More proof that culture peaked in the 1980s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS_CQkPavyc

There has been a disturbing lack of strangeness in culture since the '90s. It's like how the '40s and '50s were so drab after the 1920s.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Preview of the new Village People song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQYYLqKIV7E

It's not great, but it's not terrible.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #
  • I have always really liked this song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kemivUKb4f4

I miss Happy Days.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #
  • Wait, mainstream techno with autotune sprinkled in for good measure... That is THE definition of terrible. You come out better listening to Ke$ha or Lady Gaga, or that David Guerillagutta fella.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

House, not techno. And you mean David Guetta. (Sorry, I take dance music seriously. It's one of my worst flaws, along with being too handsome)

The only guy in the Village People who could actually sing, Victor Willis, left it back in the '80s for a solo career (which er, didn't go well). Thus presumably the auto-tune being needed.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And I actually used to be into Weezer at one time. Although I preferred Laverne & Shirley.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #
  • When I got that email from Jasper, I instantly heard this song in my head.

[link]

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

86a9e8258722045d60502a14ccecb780?s=48&d=

JeremyR

This one for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sIWl8XOThs

One of the most underrated songs of the 1990s

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

The music in this Lightning Returns trailer is pretty cool. That violin is kicking ass.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Pretty interesting. I hardly ever hear music using electric violins.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Have I said that I really, really, really miss Lost Tribe?
    Sigh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_W7nG5sX4

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

OTOH, when you consider that there are new people like Aly & Fila making songs like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtuTodU_BrU

After disco sort of fizzled out after 10 years or so, I have to say I'm surprised (though pleased) that trance has been popular now (relatively speaking) for 20+ years.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Still, I wonder when people disappear. Nigel Dawson released a bunch of great progressive house tracks in the mid-late 90s under the name Dominion, then just vanished at the height of his popularity, seemingly.

The Gate

Ultraviolet

Fortunes

Lost Without You

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

I haven't sat down and listened to a rap album in a long time. When it comes to rap, I have a very particular ear. I can tolerate the typical cars, hoes, drugs, guns but in VERY small quantities. Well, one of my Xbox baby mommas kept pestering me about Kendrick Lamar. I avoided listening to the cat because I was being an a** by not, and usually people recommend crap from people rapping about eating babies or some crazy sh*t. Not understanding that I'm not interested in suspicious crap, just not typical radio rap.

Anyway, long story short I got good kid, m.A.A.d city a few weeks ago and I can't stop listening to it. It's been a while since I've heard an album that tells a good story. Last time I enjoyed a mainstream rap album this much was when Late Registration came out. I hope he keeps it up.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

That's actually not bad. But at least the part I listened to was so slow. Almost more like poetry (albeit with background music) than anything else.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Finally, I found the video I remember. I thought I was going crazy, because there were 3 other videos for the song.

http://youtu.be/y64T-kYQ2B8?t=27s

That's the least popular of the 3 on youtube, but it's the one I remember seeing back in the day.

But if a song deserves 4 videos, I think that one does.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #
    POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I really like this guy's stuff. If he made video game music, he'd be famous among gamers

Kelly Andrew - Wonderland

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Was listening to an old Paul Oakenfold mix and he played a song from Faithless. Remember them? Big fan of them in the 1990s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEpgyt3KgzE

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is insane, a 24 hour DJ mix. I've heard of 8 hour and even 10 hour sets. But 24?

http://www.crystalclouds.com/forum/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&cid=284&lid=8921#dldetails

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Are there hour-long breaks every now and then for naps?

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #
    daa4ec7d823df24cf5d649bb7e19f004?s=48&d=

Atariboy

I just bought tickets to go see Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons in concert on New Years Eve. :)

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

If it's going to be New Year's Eve, then what's the point of the other three seasons also being there?

Must be a labor union thing.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I think there is only one Season left, actually

But it's funny, I always got the impression you were around my age, AB, in your 40s, yet you have the musical taste of my 80-ish father.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And speaking of 1950s stuff, this is kind of cute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5j-ipGFcko

It's a cover of Generation X's Dancing By Myself as if done by a '50s girl singer, complete with '50s style video.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

I'm 30, actually. Frankie Valli is one of the big stars from the 1960's when groups like the Beach Boys were big. Then they kind of reinvented themselves to adapt to the changing times of the 70's and had a string of big successes again but I'm not crazy about those songs.

For whatever reason, music from this era just always sounded best to me and Frankie Valli was one of the best. The first song I fell in love with was Downtown by Petula Clark, a major hit from 1964, when the song was only 20 years old or so and I've just liked this music my entire life. I can't even remember a time when I didn't like these songs.

The 1960's, especially the first 2/3's of it, were music's glory years. 50's were second for me, I like a lot of music from the 40's from stars like Bing Crosby, and several dozen songs from the 70's and 80's reside on my MP3 player. Nothing past 1990 though to the best of knowledge.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Wow, you're much younger than I thought. You're halfway between onmode-ky and O.

With the exception of surf rock, I could never really get into pre '66-'67 music.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Wow, you're much younger than I thought.

Indeed. I was surprised enough to discover that Reaperman at AtariAge is younger than me, too (that guy sounds like a crusty 50-something years old to me). Maybe my worldview is all wrong.

You know, in middle school, I had a friend who used the expression "for crying out loud." It was something I'd only read in books from decades ago, and so I always thought he sounded like he was 30 years too young.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is kind of neat. Music that sounds like it's from the '80s, but isn't

http://newretrowave.bandcamp.com/album/the-80s-dream-compilation-tape-vol-2

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

I kind of guessed Atariboy was in the 30 range. Other than his old folk taste in music and movies, he gives off that 30 vibe. The only person I can't seem to tell how old they are is Freelance. I want to say she's around my age, but I swear I get a 60+ vibe from her sometimes.

I was checking the free music section on the Play store today. Supposedly it provides us with music from the future of music. It just ends up being a reminder that the future is going to suck.

But I saw a song that featured Q-Tip. That alone made it worth a listen. Turned out to be a really soulful track that I ended up enjoying a great deal.

[link]

The video is real hippie though.

[link]

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

For a minute I thought you meant these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XjYcy94kGM

Q-Tip? Is there a musician named Klee-Nex? Or maybe Drain-O?

It seems like almost every sort of music today is pop, the stuff shoved down consumers throats by record companies. Okay, sure, there is some slight difference, you have country flavored pop, and hip-hop flavored pop

There has always been pop, but usually there was other stuff that was popular. How many bands sell out stadiums these days? I guess maybe U2 still does, but I can't think anyone else.

And I think Freelance was gaming in the 1990s, so that likely makes her 25-32 or so.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Okay, according to Last FM, there are 3 artists who have used the Kleenex name (one a punk band, so meant to be ironic), and four Drainos.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Here we go, a symphonic version of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Welcome to the Pleasuredome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ8YJuRGysY

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

What, no Wet Ones?

I swear, I hop Kendrick Lamar doesn't ever start to suck a**. I'm listening to A.D.H.D right now and I'm in a really mellow place. I was fangirling hard when I hopped in a stolen car in GTA V and heard it on the radio. Made me put my original plan of driving on the sidewalk at high speeds on hold. You have to just cruise to a song like that.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Apparently this was Canada's answer to The Village People

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INXeMLbp6Tw

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is one of those great songs I forgot about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNZUB0SmE88

Also, apparently Kai is a real German name.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Yes, and also a real Japanese name.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

I don't have a link or anything but the Beyond: Two Souls soundtrack is really good in my opinion. I'm glad it gave with the special edition.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Oooh, Orchestral version I had never heard before

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #
    4ef5984faaf619c2c83592df56b66759?s=48&d=

Sniper D. Luffy

CarnEvil big top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8gO8eUN3KU

the whole stage music is epic!

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I was expecting this - Karn Evil

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Here is Rush (the Canadian band) covering the Crickets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjpznNSWe24

Oddly enough, it was their first single ever.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

I don't have a link or anything but the Beyond: Two Souls soundtrack is really good in my opinion. I'm glad it gave with the special edition.

Four tracks don't count as a soundtrack to me, I'd call it a sampler. I do agree they are enjoyable tracks though.

I really like this song featuring Jill Scott.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

I'm only really posting this for the antics of the video participants, but anyway, it's a cover of the opening song to Muromi-san.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Ennio Morricone is great at more than just Western movie scores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DSzGQVTTRs

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

Just downloaded 3 and a half gigs of Frankie Valli music. Lots of nice songs I wasn't aware of. :)

Getting some Christmas music ready to put on my MP3 player. Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Doris Day, Frank Sinatra, 60's stuff from people like the Beach Boys, Ronettes, and Elvis (And a few Frankie Valli Christmas songs), songs from A Charlie Brown Christmas, and some other odds and ends from throughout the years.

The oldies stations around here will be playing nothing but after Thanksgiving. But only about 1 in 3 is anything good and they they only seem to pick 1-2 songs even from greats like Bing Crosby and Perry Como that were responsible for a lot of the best ones and repeat them instead of having some variety.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Sniper D. Luffy

somebody find me some music for when my 3DS gives me issues..... good thing it wasn't a game save file issue... :P

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is the closest song I could think of to your situation (Terminal Frost)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNWsQXYSsJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tek1Wh3jrWk (live)

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Sniper D. Luffy

Cancel the blues!!! Problem solved for the time being!!! But since you went to the trouble I'll give it a whirl, add my new FC discojer.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is one of those awesome less known rock songs I forgot about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPmmZRjrsNQ

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

This is how I'm feeling right now. Explicit content.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

That video creeped me out. Living dolls always do that to me.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Sniper D. Luffy

That video creeped me out. Living dolls always do that to me.

Silent hill would've eaten you alive...

I'm guessing O not feeling so great...must be job related...no?

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Woman troubles. The worst kind of trouble.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Yeah, if you need to rant O, go right ahead.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

Here's an appropriate song for November 10th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9A4HRzHz5Y

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

For some reason, that song always reminds me of this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHRgisdbeY

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is a pretty decent Lord of the Rings themed song I had never heard before. Progressive Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh7yVU68HHY

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is awesome.

A Flock of Seagulls live in concert, sometime in the early '80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVj2NBaJ-a0

Kinda short though. What kind of concert lasts 40 minutes?

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Sniper D. Luffy

Modern day concerts... Don't got Woodstock like them old days...

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Probably hard to manage that hair for longer than that.

And speaking of '80s, this is a great (and apparently very popular) song I missed. The guy from the Eurythmics and some saxophone lady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSx8uKdD5o

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

A CD of 8-bit remixes (with vocals) of 80s American pop songs (though they're neither all American nor from the 80s, I believe) is set to release in Japan shortly from 5pb.

If you're thinking the singer HIMECHA has pretty good English pronunciation, I think that's a new spelling of HIMEKA, who's a Canadian living in Japan who won a singing competition several years ago, her debut being the first opening title of the Valkyria Chronicles anime. I think Canadians can speak some English, eh?

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Those don't really sound 8-bit, it sounds like they just auto-tuned the vocals.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

The instrumental parts are played by a Famicom, hence the "8-bit."

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I'm pretty sure the Famicon doesn't auto-tune vocals. I'm calling shenanigans on the whole thing.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is perhaps the most German synth-pop band ever. And with a song based on an old Fritz Lang movie (Dr. Mabuse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-IxPjdHhck

I miss the days when women looked like this

GermanNewWaveChick_zpsf2549e64.jpg

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

I do miss women having hair like that. The expression, not so much.

From the 3-disc collection of Ys original and arranged music that came with Ys: Memories of Celceta's Silver Anniversary Edition, I've gotten kind of addicted to "Lilia ~English Version~". The arrangement is from 1989, but, to my ears at least, it has a very 70s feel to it. String section harmonies, saxophone solos, and a mood which probably wouldn't feel out of place on The Love Boat. Very sweeping, romantic sound. The singer is Akino Arai, who's sung a fair amount of songs for anime, including Outlaw Star's ending themes, the mesmerizing "Voices" in Macross Plus, and a few Record of Lodoss War songs. This is the first time I've ever heard her sing in English, though, and I'm impressed with her pronunciation. Not perfect, but quite good.

Oh, wow, the LSO has performed an arrangement of this (in a suite with other Ys melodies) as well.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Well, she's German. That's happy for them.

That's pretty good. Can't understand half her words, but yeah, very '70s

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

25 hours to Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons. :)

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Is it actually Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons, or just people claiming to be them? Like the Village People, none of them are the original Village People, they just call themselves that.

And I wonder if they will perform any of their disco era songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBmYBPbrKXU

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

Only the lead singer Frankie Valli is still there. The others are replacements.

I imagine that December 1963, My Eyes Adored You, and Grease definitely will be sung for his Disco era stuff since I think all were #1's. But it's the 60's stuff like Rag Doll that I'm going there for so I hope he concentrates on that.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

Was a 13 hour trip but it was worth it. I was about half the age of the average person in the audience, lol, but he still sounds great and all of my favorites were sung including two I didn't think were too likely (Silence is Golden and I've Got You Under My Skin).

What should've taken 3 hours getting there took 5 because I had to travel through the Lake Ontario snowbelt in the worst visibility conditions of my life. For about 20 minutes, I didn't think I was going to make it thanks to blowing snow bringing visibility down so much where we were using the side windows to see where the edges of the road were more than the front windshield.

Got on the interstate since I was scared of oncoming traffic and got in a convoy doing about 10mph with their 4 ways on until we cleared the snowbelt. I think being higher up helped get us out of the blowing snow too since I could see a little on there.

Then, a long detour home to avoid the snowbelt.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

Forgot to say that they did do Swear'in to God. They also did My Eyes Adored You, December 1963, and another one I hear frequently from the 70's that I can't recall the name of off hand (No Grease but I assume there are rights issues there).

And he did basically every one of his 60's songs that I love. He performed for about 1:40 minutes too which apparently is somewhat rare for singers. I was under the impression it would be about an hour.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Who Loves You? That was their first big hit in the 70s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3sOqch0hV0

He's probably just sick of Grease. Arlo Guthrie almost never sings Alice's Restaurant anymore.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Also it's kind of funny that while known as being a falsetto singer, almost all of his disco stuff was sung in a regular voice. While the Bee Gees had great success mixing falsetto with disco.

Also Barry Gibb (of the Bee Gees) wrote Grease and does back-up vocals on it.

This is pretty awesome...Fankie Valli and the....Commodores
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5mhbvutsuI

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

Yeah, it was Who Loves You.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Does he still wear a leisure suit?

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Atariboy

lol

He was dressed just like he is in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq_5uw_hcuo

I'm glad he sang that one and Sherry. He said he wasn't going to and we weren't sure if he was teasing or being serious.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxZG0w8YS7A
    Yeah, something different.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

I just caught myself listening to (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay. Enjoying the hell out of it.

Funny, because as a kid I hated whenever my grandma started playing her Otis Redding and whoever else old folks listen to records. Guess I'm getting old.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

For whatever reason, it was cool to listen to Otis Redding back during my high school days.

He's just one of those timeless artists.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

This is pretty cool. A French space disco band named Space

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF0UEKC8Vaw

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And this isn't music, but a radio play of Pickman's Model by the Atlanta Radio Theater Company

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj4AzbY1F_U

I bought a Lovecraft bundle a few months ago and got several of their audio dramas in it. They're quite good

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Creepiest Video Ever for an 80s instrumental

Though the one for Rockit was pretty creepy too.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Space - Magic Fly

From the short lived Space Disco era. Daft Punk completely ripped off their look, though.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

I guess there is some good stuff happening in Detroit even nowadays. (Beethoven + IKEA)

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I would think that would be bad for the furniture.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

80's Boobs

I too am a fan of 80's boobs.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

That's pretty good

But these are the best from the '80s (er, NSFW or for those under 18). About 1:45 in...

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And speaking of classical music, Night on Disco Mountain

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Oooh, Christopher Lawrence posted his classic mix cd Rise on soundcloud for download

http://soundcloud.com/christopherlawrence/rise-1997

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

And if you are in a funkier mood, Lafayette Afro Rock Band

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #
    6611bdd409ee7689d265c05d690b9ec7?s=48&d=

AXM

I wanted to contribute to this topic by adding one of my favorite songs.

Come Undone - Duran Duran

The video is really really weird, just listen to it, instead.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I've always liked Duran Duran. They really made a remarkable "comeback" with that album.

Not that they were washed up, but they were sort of an '80s band and to come back with something so strong in the 90s was impressive...

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

I'm not sure how serious this is, but I like it

Disco Dick - Hot Pants (just released in Dec 2013, funny how disco has actually outlasted rock music)

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

AXM

Hey, you know what? I'm liking that music. In fact, I like 80's Disco music overall. Heck, I like 80's music in general. I prefer those musics a LOT more over all this rap crap (another thing that makes me different from every other guy I know, since almost every teen in Italy listen to that kind of stuff).

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Italy was huge when it came to disco. Had its own sub-genre, Italo.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

AXM

Oh, really? I didn't know that. That's cool.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

Best music video ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX77dds1UJk

I actually had the original white label bootleg of that song.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

AXM

I want to workout now. Nonstop. 24/7.

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

JeremyR

POSTED 5 YEARS AGO #

Sniper D. Luffy